***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
If Omaha can play some minutes at the 5, and Rock can as well, that would mean only needing to bring in 1 transfer big man instead of 2.

I'm not worried about losing Watson. He's earned some minutes both years he's been here, and can do a lot of what Tre King has been relied on to do. The only way I see him leaving is if Omaha/Milan stay and he feels like he can't earn minutes over them or the guards at the 3 spot. Good problem to have.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I expect one or more of the guards to leave. Someone is going to want to play more and there's too many cooks in the kitchen:

Pav
Jelani Hamilton, who I keep forgetting about
Lipsey
Watson, although he's more of a wing to me
Curtis Jones
Keshon Gilbert
Kelderman
Nojus Indrusaitis

Kelderman is a walk on. Unlike Iowa, we see our walk ons as walk ons and don’t expect them to contribute. Even if he has a killer practice video

I’ll throw out Jelani as a the most likely transfer. We don’t hear about how he is doing in practice which we generally hear of someone is tearing it up.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Kelderman is a walk on. Unlike Iowa, we see our walk ons as walk ons and don’t expect them to contribute. Even if he has a killer practice video

I’ll throw out Jelani as a the most likely transfer. We don’t hear about how he is doing in practice which we generally hear of someone is tearing it up.
Agree with you first point, but to rebuttal your second point, have we heard anything about anyone before they play with this staff?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If Omaha can play some minutes at the 5, and Rock can as well, that would mean only needing to bring in 1 transfer big man instead of 2.

I'm not worried about losing Watson. He's earned some minutes both years he's been here, and can do a lot of what Tre King has been relied on to do. The only way I see him leaving is if Omaha/Milan stay and he feels like he can't earn minutes over them or the guards at the 3 spot. Good problem to have.
That's my thought process. 1 really good transfer big man that can play the five, and Rock/Omaha can spell them, with Omaha spending some time at the 4 as well. That gives us the option of Watson at the 4, with Milan there at times too (I definitely hope Watson is back, he is just so solid on defense, and just needs to become a threat on the other end).

That would give us a ton of flexibility since both Watson and Milan can play the 3 as well.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I've been pretty impressed with Milan's defense. He's not going to be all-conference or anything but he's very far from the sieve that was expected.

Next year for me hinges pretty heavily on whether Rock can play meaningful minutes vs. being a Tony Rampton or Andrew Skoglund-type. I hope we get two great bigs in the portal but that seems like a longshot.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Its not, King or Watson are in 30 minutes per game.
The best play. In 2023/24 that means a starting trio of Momcilovic, King and R. Jones. Unless Watson, Billiew or a portal transfer approach Tre King's ability, I have to believe Lipsey, Gilbert and Cu. Jones will start. And I believe if Momcilovic is to stay at the 3 next year, we will also need to find low-post guys to replace Rob and Hasan.

Based on guys returning and recruits, I gotta believe we see a 3 guard lineup: Lipsey, Gilbert, Jones, Paveletzke, Hamilton, Pierce or Indrusaitis. And a post rotation of: Momcilovic, Watson, Biliew, Rock, Fish and Portal Guy.

Sure guys like Momcilovic and Watson could shift between SF and Post- but I gotta believe most of their minutes are part of a post rotation.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The best play. In 2023/24 that means a starting trio of Momcilovic, King and R. Jones. Unless Watson, Billiew or a portal transfer approach Tre King's ability, I have to believe Lipsey, Gilbert and Cu. Jones will start. And I believe if Momcilovic is to stay at the 3 next year, we will also need to find low-post guys to replace Rob and Hasan.

Based on guys returning and recruits, I gotta believe we see a 3 guard lineup: Lipsey, Gilbert, Jones, Paveletzke, Hamilton, Pierce or Indrusaitis. And a post rotation of: Momcilovic, Watson, Biliew, Rock, Fish and Portal Guy.

Sure guys like Momcilovic and Watson could shift between SF and Post- but I gotta believe most of their minutes are part of a post rotation.
If we make the Final 4 with Momcilovic at the 3 and bodies that stand up to the riggers of conference play inside why change the formula?

More importantly future recruiting when we go after tall wings, why would they come here when our history is to move them inside?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If we make the Final 4 with Momcilovic at the 3 and bodies that stand up to the riggers of conference play inside why change the formula?

More importantly future recruiting when we go after tall wings, why would they come here when our history is to move them inside?
Not sure what happens in 2023/24 has much of an impact on 2024/25. TJ will play his best 5. Hard to believe 4 of those guys aren't: Lipsey, Gilbert, Jones and Momcilovic.

I am also really excited by Paveletzke's play the last couple weeks. He is getting more comfortable with Big12 speed and physicality- I could easily see him as a 20mpg guy next season at the 1/2 spots. Especially if he can be a consistent 3 point shooter.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I trust TJ and this staff to pull in a couple high-level transfers in the frontcourt. It is the perfect situatuon. Top 3 frontcourt players off of a top ten team graduate. Best conference by far. Play in Maui next year which provides a ton of exposure. Come play with 3 all conference caliber guards in Lipsey, Gilbert and C Jones and one of the better swingmen and pure shooters in the country in Momcilovic. I would not at all be surprised if Watson and Biliew look like different players by December of next year (Coach Green would of the best in the business at developing forwards). Watson needs to pull a Lipsey in the offseason live in the gym and become a 40%ish corner 3 point shooter.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Hot take alert: Everyone expecting transfer forwards in offseason. Guards are much easier to land in the portal. If a high-level guard falls in our lap would not put it by TJ to run with it and play predominantly three guard lineups with Momcilovic regularly at the 4. Would need to shift identity a bit become more run and gun and high-tempo.

If that is the case would love to see Momcilovic throw on 15 pounds of muscle in offseason and start posting on the block and short post regularly. He will be an absolute mismatch nightmare next year.

Last edited:

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

It is 2024 dude. "3s" and "4s" dont define where you position yourself on the offensive side of the floor. Some of the most elite offenses in the history of college basketball have played 4-out, 1-in offense. Bill Self has been doing it for years. You recruit the best players you can and at times have to adapt your philosophy accordingly.

Last edited: