***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If he were walking into the situation Milan did this year I think his minutes would of been very comparable. I think he'll get minutes and they'll only go up as the season progresses just might start a bit more limited to start.

I wouldn't mind seeing a first substitution line change in the backcourt next year. Jones, Heise, Indrusaitis for Lipsey, Gilbert, Momcilovic. Hadley is said to be a natural 4 so that's why he's not included.

I'm assuming the plan is something like Heise and Nojus slide into the ~30ish minutes per night starting and/or sixth man shooting guard roles once Gilbert and Curtis Jones depart.

• Agree
Reactions: Malty Flannel

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Exactly. I don't think any "big" is going to get over 20-22 minutes in Otz' system, unless they are an absolute superstar.

Also, to whoisthis's comment, I think the coaching staff would be fine with Milan at ~27-28mph next year.
Elite gains in his foot speed

They may anticipate that means 27-28 minutes per game for Milan if the desired transfers join.

Wouldnt they be fine with anything that yields the desired play? That may mean less for Milan, if Hadley comes and is too good to keep off the floor, CuJo continues to play like he did the last half of the year, and Heise is a 36% shooter that can lock down most wings.

Those are all seniors. Some super seniors. It’s not being negative to think a true sophomore in Milan may be more at the sophomore Matt Thomas role than last year’s minutes suggest. Beating out Watson and Pav for minutes at the 3/4 spots may is hopefully much different than what he’ll face next year

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't understand this logic. TJ has 13 scholarships. Shouldn't he try to fill EACH of those spots with the best talent to fill needs? I'm pretty sure KU, Duke, Kentucky, etc. aren't filling their final scholarships with guys from the local YMCA so their McDonalds AA recruits don't have competition for PT.

We lost to the portal:
  • Paveletzke: 1/2
  • Hamilton: 2/3
  • Biliew: 3/4
  • Fish: 4
So from a roster composition standpoint, it makes sense that Tj would add a couple guards this spring. And we'll add a couple posts.

If Indrusaitis and Pierce aren't expecting fierce competition for minutes, then TJ made a recruiting mistake. It wasn't too long ago most fans thought Halliburton was a lock to redshirt and look at his impact as a frosh.
Except we lose 3 bigs that are out of eligibility and have a recruiting class of 2 guards. Including Hadley ( he's said to be a natural PF) i think we add 3 bigs from the portal. Heise is plenty for the backcourt.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Oklahoma is losing almost their entire roster. Crazy town
I dug around on Dirt Burglar for reactions and found this:

03-25-2024, 11:08 AM
Iowa state had been a huge transfer destination and has had success with transfers going back way before the portal and under multiple coaches. Wish we could find and replicate their secret sauce.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Ignorant question: Is the grading rubric used by 24/7 known?

I’m curious as to why Fish is currently ranked #16 and Omaha is #26.

It looks like they’ve awarded another star to Fish since high school. That can’t be based solely on added weight, right?

I'll admit I am quite shocked by this myself as well. Not to disparage Fish in the slightest, but something just isn't making sense here. Fish was hardly a super high ranked recruit coming out of high school (high 3-Star) and really didn't play much here at all outside of some garbage time. Omaha's ranking makes more sense being so high simply due to being a McDonalds All-American out of high school, even if he didn't produce much.

On the flip side, I can't believe how low they rank Dishon Jackson by comparison. The dude was a four-star out of high school and has proven to be a solid producer in a half-way decent conference already, yet only gets ranked as #97 on the list. I just don't get it.

• Winner
Reactions: Thomasrickj

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I'll admit I am quite shocked by this myself as well. Not to disparage Fish in the slightest, but something just isn't making sense here. Fish was hardly a super high ranked recruit coming out of high school (high 3-Star) and really didn't play much here at all outside of some garbage time. Omaha's ranking makes more sense being so high simply due to being a McDonalds All-American out of high school, even if he didn't produce much.

On the flip side, I can't believe how low they rank Dishon Jackson by comparison. The dude was a four-star out of high school and has proven to be a solid producer in a half-way decent conference already, yet only gets ranked as #97 on the list. I just don't get it.
My gut feeling is they just have some algorithm put it together and there's some bug with Kayden's profile. Omaha at #26 seems high but at least he has the recruiting profile. As you mention with Dishon, I'd imagine there's no serious scout or coach on earth that would say there's a wide gulf of value between those two where Kayden at this point comes out THAT far ahead.

Reactions: Triggermv

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Except we lose 3 bigs that are out of eligibility and have a recruiting class of 2 guards. Including Hadley ( he's said to be a natural PF) i think we add 3 bigs from the portal. Heise is plenty for the backcourt.
Assume you remember we already have two bigs coming / Rock(RS) and Jackson.
I only see one more “big” a classic 4 man.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Hubbs4cy

Oct 10, 2023
Likewise- look at the reaction pointing out basic math that Milan is losing minutes if we add those transfers unless he improves
Why is there a confident assumption that an incoming transfer, that has yet to prove themselves in an Iowa State uniform and shown a buy-in to the culture, would be gifted the minutes of a starter?

• Agree
Reactions: DrClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron