***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
That's just wrong. I mean it's true but it's wrong. AJ was adamant the NBA was his first option. Betting against that without a Plan B is really not a strategy at all. That team overachieved but desperately needed another scorer. I have no idea who was left to pursue but it wasn't nobody. Plain and simple they got caught with their pants down and I'll bet it never happens again.
Not sure what they could have done for "plan B". AJ Green announced he was staying in the draft on June 1st. The transfer well is pretty much dried up by then and they had to keep a spot open for him, he would have been our best player.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
It’s a little late to fill AJ’s spot in June with another competent option. And I’m fairly certain the staff didn’t feel like strong-arming AJ and his dad by threatening to take a commit from a plan B. If I remember correctly that squad still got to the NCAA tournament.
Yeah, how were we supposed to recruit other players? "Hey, we really want you, but we have a better player that we're waiting on to decide if he's going to the NBA or not. So if you could just hang out for 2-3 months to see if we'll have a spot open, that would be great. Oh, and if he does stay in college, we wont have room for you...... we really want you though." Good luck with that.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Couple things on Jefferson-

He didn't play the last month of the season after having knee surgery - I would think that could impact his offseason as well, hopefully he's ready for fall.

Something I find fascinating - before his injury he had 4 games with a double-double. All 4 were wins, and 3 of them were the biggest wins for St Mary's - @ Colo St, @ San Franscisco and @Gonzaga. And in those 4 games he went 10-16 from 3pt range. The other 22 games he went 6-44 from 3! He started the season really cold from deep, going 2-26 in their first 9 games.

But his tendency to have big performances in their big games is a good sign - and the tie between rebounding and shooting well is fascinating

This is unconfirmed but sounds like maybe a meniscus injury and subsequent surgery. Per his own twitter, he is almost back to full go. Should be completely recovered by the time the freshmen and transfers arrive on campus in early June.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is unconfirmed but sounds like maybe a meniscus injury and subsequent surgery. Per his own twitter, he is almost back to full go. Should be completely recovered by the time the freshmen and transfers arrive on campus in early June.

Thanks! That's a good sign, and glad it's not an ACL or something

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Trending towards more transfers per class. I doubt we ever take more than 3 high school signees again unless there is a special circumstance or a rule change.
Such a huge risk to develop young players. If they come in and explode they leave. If they come in and are a bust they leave.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Such a huge risk to develop young players. If they come in and explode they leave. If they come in and are a bust they leave.
Seems like they're used to fill out the roster more than anything. It's difficult to convince a transfer to come in and be the 12th-13th man on the bench. Freshman are a little more unknown so you can bring them in for a year. If they're good, they'll get some playing time and hopefully stick around, if they're not, they'll transfer out after the first year. No harm done.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not sure what they could have done for "plan B". AJ Green announced he was staying in the draft on June 1st. The transfer well is pretty much dried up by then and they had to keep a spot open for him, he would have been our best player.
So by your perspective even if a kid says I'm going pro if at all possible ( which he did) you still shutdown recruiting because you think his first option is unlikely and get caught with your pants down. Interesting.

Coaches with this philosophy aren't long for the business. Like I said previously, multiple times it won't happen to TJ again.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
So by your perspective even if a kid says I'm going pro if at all possible ( which he did) you still shutdown recruiting because you think his first option is unlikely and get caught with your pants down. Interesting.

Coaches with this philosophy aren't long for the business. Like I said previously, multiple times it won't happen to TJ again.
No, you can keep recruiting guys. They aren't going to wait around for 2-3 months though. Who would we have recruited at that time while we were waiting for Green?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
No, you can keep recruiting guys. They aren't going to wait around for 2-3 months though. Who would we have recruited at that time while we were waiting for Green?
I have no idea but we shutdown and didn't have anyone else we even attempted to get on campus. Were you around then? It was made clear here it was AJ or nothing.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
I have no idea but we shutdown and didn't have anyone else we even attempted to get on campus. Were you around then? It was made clear here it was AJ or nothing.
I'm arguing we shut it down because there weren't other options. We basically couldn't recruit anyone until AJ made his decision, which was at the beginning of June.

Ideally, AJ would have made his decision a month earlier so we might have had time to look elsewhere.

Imagine that team with AJ Green on it though. He would have made all the difference on a team that just couldn't score.