***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Three driveways cleared in a little over an hour. 7 HP single stage Toro did plug a few times but for the most part, but saved my back. Now for the city to go by so they can plug the end of the driveway. :(

Reactions: 2122

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Three driveways cleared in a little over an hour. 7 HP single stage Toro did plug a few times but for the most part, but saved my back. Now for the city to go by so they can plug the end of the driveway. :(
I put mine in storage last weekend. Mother nature takes the wheel from here on out.

• Winner
Reactions: Hoggins

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
CR is an absolute mess. Took 20 minutes to go a half mile on Boyson to get the kids to school.

Overproduced without warning at the absolute worst time
We went from “winter weather advisory for Highway 20 and north” to “winter storm warning for Linn County and east with 6-8” of snow” really fast without any preparation for that

• Wow
Reactions: cyfanatic

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Damn wet snow! Forgot when I left home about the snow on the roof of my car. I thought it would slide off the back of it. Was not expecting it to all come forward down the front of my windshield while I had my wipers on. With all the weight of the wet heavy stuff it rendered my windshield wiper to quit. So here I am driving down the road with a windshield full of snow. Was able to get out after getting to a stop light and clear off the drivers side but not the passenger side. Kinda scary, but thankfully only going around 30 mph.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Getting closer to round #2 and it's starting to seem pretty realistic for real snow. Maybe I should test fire the Toro, hasn't run in over a year.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Getting closer to round #2 and it's starting to seem pretty realistic for real snow. Maybe I should test fire the Toro, hasn't run in over a year.
Looks like round 2 bullseye will be along Highway 23. Hoping it keeps tracking further west and north. I really don’t want to shovel heavy, wet snow.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar

I do appreciate it when weather folks do a little postmortem and explain why they got it wrong when a forecast goes completely upside-down. I feel like this is a new thing … I recall many weather events in CR when a forecast was completely blown and the TV weather people the next day made zero mention of why the conditions were so far different from what they told us they’d be the night before. This is refreshing.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I do appreciate it when weather folks do a little postmortem and explain why they got it wrong when a forecast goes completely upside-down. I feel like this is a new thing … I recall many weather events in CR when a forecast was completely blown and the TV weather people the next day made zero mention of why the conditions were so far different from what they told us they’d be the night before. This is refreshing.

My sense is that forecasting gets really tricky this time of years where slight variability in temperature or moisture can make the forecast swing wildly.

I guess if they want to be known for consistency the forecasters can go work in Phoenix.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
My sense is that forecasting gets really tricky this time of years where slight variability in temperature or moisture can make the forecast swing wildly.

I guess if they want to be known for consistency the forecasters can go work in Phoenix.
I give meteorologists all kinds of grace - I know how difficult it can be to predict the outcomes of these massive systems with nearly infinite variables - but it just bugged me when we’d get a forecast of something one day and the next day‘s actual weather would show they completely whiffed, but they’d get on the air and act like they never said anything different from what actually occurred. I think explaining why they got things wrong actually helps viewers understand how hard it is and why it’s not always an exact science.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't mind snow this time of year; it's April in about a week and it won't be around long.

And especially this year, any precipitation is great and it's not like it's been a long grueling winter.

Mar 21, 2021
I give meteorologists all kinds of grace - I know how difficult it can be to predict the outcomes of these massive systems with nearly infinite variables - but it just bugged me when we’d get a forecast of something one day and the next day‘s actual weather would show they completely whiffed, but they’d get on the air and act like they never said anything different from what actually occurred. I think explaining why they got things wrong actually helps viewers understand how hard it is and why it’s not always an exact science.
A find that a nice rack always eases the irritation.