***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
These are from pleasant hill. It hit by pleasant hill elementary for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240427-091858.png
    Screenshot_20240427-091858.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20240427-091913.png
    Screenshot_20240427-091913.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20240427-091952.png
    Screenshot_20240427-091952.png
    902.1 KB · Views: 125

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
That Pleasant Hill one missed us by 4.4 miles. I was watching it on Ryan Hall's YouTube live-stream using my cell phone as a hot spot. Mediacom cable and internet were out.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
All you meteorologists out there... who is in the crosshairs today or tomorrow for tornadoes? Are we going to see a repeat of yesterday anywhere today?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
NWS now talking outbreak for OK. Not the place to be today unless you are a chaser.

Well unfortunately many people live in and with this is classic spring in the plains weather. They didn't coin it "tornado alley" decades ago because it sounded cool.

And as for your "unless you are".............Tim Samaras, Paul Samaras and Carl Young would like a word. The fewer "qualified" attention whores running around trying to get "shock jock" footage the better. We don't need to get up close and personal with every storm. There are more than enough phones that can record from people who actually live in these areas to give us an idea.

And the technology the local stations have to locate the storms is very good. Watching channel 5 with Brad Edwards was enough. Hook echo's, debris signatures.............don't need to go "live on the scene" to see first hand what destruction is being caused.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Well unfortunately many people live in and with this is classic spring in the plains weather. They didn't coin it "tornado alley" decades ago because it sounded cool.

And as for your "unless you are".............Tim Samaras, Paul Samaras and Carl Young would like a word. The fewer "qualified" attention whores running around trying to get "shock jock" footage the better. We don't need to get up close and personal with every storm. There are more than enough phones that can record from people who actually live in these areas to give us an idea.

And the technology the local stations have to locate the storms is very good. Watching channel 5 with Brad Edwards was enough. Hook echo's, debris signatures.............don't need to go "live on the scene" to see first hand what destruction is being caused.
I don't know, I sat for more than a couple hours watching Ryan Hall's close up coverage of the storms and was completely fascinated

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
This is the blurb KCCI has about the weather today on their site

Most of Saturday should be dry for most of the state, but storms could develop as early as 12-1 p.m. over Southern Iowa and gradually turn severe into the afternoon. We will not have the caliber of low level wind shear to support strong and violent tornadoes like we saw yesterday, but there will be just enough, especially along and south of the highway 34 corridor to support some tornadic activity closest to where the front is stalled out.

Storms will have a very large hail threat, with the potential of quarter to baseball sized hail. By 5-6 p.m. and through the evening and overnight, storms will likely transition from more discrete and isolated into messy widespread clusters. Damaging winds, hail, and heavy rain cannot be ruled out in some storms through the evening and overnight.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
"Ummmm should we get away from the window"
uh, yeah.

"Coming right over us" - that guy has seen some **** in his life to speak so calmly and casually about the tornado going over him.

If you HAVE to get caught in a vehicle getting hit by a small tornado a 100 to 200 ton locomotive is probably your best option.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If you HAVE to get caught in a vehicle getting hit by a small tornado a 100 to 200 ton locomotive is probably your best option.

Especially if you can get it stopped before the tornado hits so there's no forward momentum from the cars behind. I remember seeing a video of one where the train was stopping and some cars in the middle got blown off the tracks and the ones behind it came barreling in to the train in front and there was a hazardous materials spill

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Especially if you can get it stopped before the tornado hits so there's no forward momentum from the cars behind. I remember seeing a video of one where the train was stopping and some cars in the middle got blown off the tracks and the ones behind it came barreling in to the train in front and there was a hazardous materials spill
That actually occurred by me. It was January 7, 2008, 70+ degrees. Tornado was an F3 at its strongest, destroyed a good part of an apple orchard too.