***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
OK is about to light the **** up. Even “better” soundings out of the latest balloon. Cap broken already. PDS Watch.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
OK is about to light the **** up. Even “better” soundings out of the latest balloon. Cap broken already. PDS Watch.

Yeah it sounds like a rough setup. Good news, not many at school/work ....bad news compared to yesterday is the no basement thing. Idk storm shelter prevalence at least compared to basements in the midwest.

Reactions: wxman1

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah it sounds like a rough setup. Good news, not many at school/work ....bad news compared to yesterday is the no basement thing. Idk storm shelter prevalence at least compared to basements in the midwest.

Shelter prevalence is better than it was 10 years ago. The thing people in the upper Midwest have a tough time grasping is the mobile home situation. Iowa/Wisconsin/Minnesota, etc SEEMS like there are a lot of mobile homes. But in reality they dont have many compared to Oklahoma/Arkansas/and of course Dixie Alley.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is the blurb KCCI has about the weather today on their site

Most of Saturday should be dry for most of the state, but storms could develop as early as 12-1 p.m. over Southern Iowa and gradually turn severe into the afternoon. We will not have the caliber of low level wind shear to support strong and violent tornadoes like we saw yesterday, but there will be just enough, especially along and south of the highway 34 corridor to support some tornadic activity closest to where the front is stalled out.

Storms will have a very large hail threat, with the potential of quarter to baseball sized hail. By 5-6 p.m. and through the evening and overnight, storms will likely transition from more discrete and isolated into messy widespread clusters. Damaging winds, hail, and heavy rain cannot be ruled out in some storms through the evening and overnight.

I don’t like that language about the tornado threat and area of most concern for Central Iowa today. I don’t think the god of meteorologists would make those claims today. I think all hazards including up to EF2 tornadoes are possible pretty much anywhere in the tornadic risk area, even the 2% area. It’s all about the timing. Not saying there WILL BE tornadoes of EF2 Intensity, but I would not be putting those vibes out today.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
That Pleasant Hill one missed us by 4.4 miles. I was watching it on Ryan Hall's YouTube live-stream using my cell phone as a hot spot. Mediacom cable and internet were out.
I had a bathroom vanity delivered down there today. It would of been just my luck to have the house destroyed right after I ordered everything to remodel a bedroom and bath.

• Haha
Reactions: aauummm