***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Concrete benches north of Harlan blown over at the golf course north of Harlan, Club house ruined trees about 25 to 30% laid over. 50 year old golf course pretty mature trees. Ex Cyclone vollyball star Jess Schaben's parents house got hit 4 miles north of the course as did linebacker Will Mcglaughlins parents farmstead 6 miles north. Yes they are neighbors. Its a bad deal for about 60 homes in Shelby County. No towns in Shelby County took a direct hit.
Our farmstead is just NE of the golf course. They had semis hauling hogs from Scott (Will's Dad) McLaughlins place. Their place is like a war zone! Spent the entire day helping clean up. Never seen damage like that before.

Check out the stormchaser video at the 8 minute mark (just west of Harlan on Hwy 44 and the 14 minute mark as this was has it passed over New Hwy 59 you can see blue sign for the golf course as it started a path north on Old Hwy 59.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
West Des Moines really dodged a bullet with the EF0 that was briefly on the ground near Maffitt Reservoir. That was tracking towards Glen Oaks and the Mills Civic/EP True area which could have been really really bad.

Yep. We were in that area on Friday evening at a kid's school activity. The people in charge (wisely) came out before it was done and said we're ending early, everyone go home, you've got 30 minutes before the bad stuff gets here. It went right over that area, but fortunately didn't touch down.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
West Des Moines really dodged a bullet with the EF0 that was briefly on the ground near Maffitt Reservoir. That was tracking towards Glen Oaks and the Mills Civic/EP True area which could have been really really bad.

I’ll have to go back and look at radar images but iirc after that circulation occluded or dissipated the same cell either recycled or was ingested by or merged with what put down the Pleasant Hill tornado.

Reactions: khardbored

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I’ll have to go back and look at radar images but iirc after that circulation occluded or dissipated the same cell either recycled or was ingested by or merged with what put down the Pleasant Hill tornado.

I think that was a different one. Same front just a little further south.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Yep. We were in that area on Friday evening at a kid's school activity. The people in charge (wisely) came out before it was done and said we're ending early, everyone go home, you've got 30 minutes before the bad stuff gets here. It went right over that area, but fortunately didn't touch down.
I was in Omaha on Friday afternoon. Was sheltering from the tornadic activity there. Thought I had a window to make it back to WDM. Briefly ran into the back side hail of the cell that hit Minden. Rerouted back south on I29 into sunny skies in Council Bluffs before making the mad dash on I80 for home. Started hitting heavy rain near Stuart. Absolute deluge at the construction zone west of Waukee before finally getting home about 10 minutes before sirens went off in WDM. Craziest day of actually being near some of the worst stuff in a long time.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I was in Omaha on Friday afternoon. Was sheltering from the tornadic activity there. Thought I had a window to make it back to WDM. Briefly ran into the back side hail of the cell that hit Minden. Rerouted back south on I29 into sunny skies in Council Bluffs before making the mad dash on I80 for home. Started hitting heavy rain near Stuart. Absolute deluge at the construction zone west of Waukee before finally getting home about 10 minutes before sirens went off in WDM. Craziest day of actually being near some of the worst stuff in a long time.
You were unwittingly a storm chaser even though you didn't want to.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
For the weather experts out there: seems like we're in a period of activity for the next 10+ days? My forecast in central Iowa shows a decent chance of rain every day through the 10-day.
Tomorrow will bring another chance of severe weather to E NE/W IA.
It is amazing the power of some of these storms, let alone any tornado. This is the season.

We were hit, SW MO, 4-30-19. I will always look at weather alerts and tornados differently now. They are truly random and horrible when they strike.

• Friendly
Reactions: khardbored

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I’m curious what the iowa drought status is after the last week or so of rain we’ve had . Anyone know where this is monitored/posted?