***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
For eastern Iowa, we should’ve planted more. Like as much as possible. It’s at VE and looks pretty good
Gonna be a lot of nitrogen issues I’m guessing. A lot fields around here have floater tracks and not planted. Means they have chemical/32 down and sitting sitting in the rain.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
I’m sure it was named after some other Bob Lee. Cause no one in the South would be so brazen to name a city after a confederate general.
From Texas Time Travel:
Robert Lee was founded by two Confederate veterans - R. E. Cartledge and his father-in-law L. B. Harris. The men named the community in honor of Confederate General Robert E. Lee.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well ****. I tried to give Texas the benefit of the doubt, but there they are. Naming their towns after losers again.
I figured it would have been changed when all the other stuff was happening. He did help Texas when their freedom so it makes sense there.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Not with the very low subsoil moisture, it’s all soaking in from what I hear.

Still need a couple more months of this rain to get back to normal.
Started to see some ponding in fields and ditches late this week in Hardin, Franklin, and Worth. The rain has fallen beautifully for the most part, very little runoff.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Started to see some ponding in fields and ditches late this week in Hardin, Franklin, and Worth. The rain has fallen beautifully for the most part, very little runoff.
To the west of them Winnebago is a complete mess. Hancock is one step behind them.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
Could be. I have terragator tracks in my fields, it is soybean chemicals. Could be dry fertilizer on soybean stubble? I know a few guys who put all their nitrogen on after the corn is about 5-7 leaf corn. But in today’s world a lot of stuff goes on like you said. If applied early enough, chances are good there is a product with it to slow down nitrogen loss.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Could be. I have terragator tracks in my fields, it is soybean chemicals. Could be dry fertilizer on soybean stubble? I know a few guys who put all their nitrogen on after the corn is about 5-7 leaf corn. But in today’s world a lot of stuff goes on like you said. If applied early enough, chances are good there is a product with it to slow down nitrogen loss.
I know many of the fields and saw liquid going down so it wasn’t dry. Most dry got dropped the end of March and first of April. I drop my stuff after planting. I’ve had more issues dropping before working than vice versa.

A lot of N serve and instinct is used because they know it will be mandated soon so you might as well get used to the hit with 7 dollar corn than 4.

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
I know many of the fields and saw liquid going down so it wasn’t dry. Most dry got dropped the end of March and first of April. I drop my stuff after planting. I’ve had more issues dropping before working than vice versa.

A lot of N serve and instinct is used because they know it will be mandated soon so you might as well get used to the hit with 7 dollar corn than 4.
I don’t put any N on without an inhibitor. I just think it is the best thing to do.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Cy83ag

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Really slammed the brakes on any planting and there will be a lot of replant. Farming taking a major hit on these rains. Need about a week to dry out and get rid of these large ponds.
I kept hearing how we need a lot of rain for these crops. That definitely wasn’t true. Even last year a lot of farmers had their best year in that drought.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I farmed most of my life and we farmers as a group love to complain: too wet, too cold, to windy, too hot, too dry, etc. Heard a joke a while back about a farmer who had a perfect year. The crop went in in a timely manor, the gentle rains came when they were needed, the crop dried in the field with no losses and the yields were excellent. When asked about the year he had, the first thing he said was "ya, it was a good year, but it sure took a lot out of the soil!" Another gentleman I knew retired after 50+ years of farming and said "I never had two years alike, and I never had a year that I did like". Part of the fun (challenge?) of farming was to find a way to succeed while navigating all the forces against you.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I farmed most of my life and we farmers as a group love to complain: too wet, too cold, to windy, too hot, too dry, etc. Heard a joke a while back about a farmer who had a perfect year. The crop went in in a timely manor, the gentle rains came when they were needed, the crop dried in the field with no losses and the yields were excellent. When asked about the year he had, the first thing he said was "ya, it was a good year, but it sure took a lot out of the soil!" Another gentleman I knew retired after 50+ years of farming and said "I never had two years alike, and I never had a year that I did like". Part of the fun (challenge?) of farming was to find a way to succeed while navigating all the forces against you.
I’ve had several I’ve liked. I honestly liked 2012, it was dry but with heavy soil it didn’t hurt too bad. Had 170 bu corn at almost $8 bushel. That was at 14-15% out of the field and we started at Labor Day and we’re done a week into October. I’d take that every year.