***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Be safe today everyone. Keep a close eye and ear to weather alerts. This has the potential to be the biggest severe weather day of the year for central and eastern IA

Reactions: Gunnerclone

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
4-5 tornado warnings here in Omaha area this morning. Mostly spinups but heavy heavy rain and strong line with strong winds.

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
It looks like the overnight update now includes most of Iowa in the more extreme tornado risk... Is it totally over reactive to pull my first grader out of school early today? I always get a little paranoid when the storms are during the school day.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It looks like the overnight update now includes most of Iowa in the more extreme tornado risk... Is it totally over reactive to pull my first grader out of school early today? I always get a little paranoid when the storms are during the school day.

Plaza Towers Elementary 2013. Definitely not over-reactive. The worst can happen and has happened before.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
so this is your fault.

I'm trying to check on the timing here......neither daycare nor elementary school have basements. Solid buildings with at least some brick structure to them but ugh. Not loving this. I suppose with derecho I'd have some lead time to go get them.
Pick them up and keep driving away, come back after it wears out.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Personally I would say overreactive, school protection areas are usually pretty good.
But I'm old the one year( like maybe 5th grade?) Went to school blizzard picked up the school was going to have us stay overnight in the gym, about 430-5 storm broke and they sent us all home on the busses. LOL.
Really do whatever makes you feel best.

Reactions: salennon07

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I think there’s a good possibility schools will send kids home early. They don’t want to have kids on busses if storms are rolling through.

Reactions: salennon07

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Pick them up and keep driving away, come back after it wears out.

I need to check timing again because I think the initial round is less severe for us. Elementary school is single digit years old. However, I have family planning to drive nearly end to end hwy 20 up to NWIA and I'm wondering if they need to try and delay a day. Theyd be leaving early this morning from dubuque area.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Personally I would say overreactive, school protection areas are usually pretty good.
But I'm old the one year( like maybe 5th grade?) Went to school blizzard picked up the school was going to have us stay overnight in the gym, about 430-5 storm broke and they sent us all home on the busses. LOL.

My belief is that you have to be underground to get to that 90% survival rate in a mid range EF4-E5. Most schools don’t have the ability to make that happen.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
It looks like kcci says the nastier of the storms is in the 3 to 8pm range which makes me feel a little better!

Reactions: NWICY