***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

cs6804

Nov 2, 2009
It should've happened sooner, really. What sounds safer, sending kids home early to distribute them and put them back under family care during an emergency, or have all of them shuttled together into one space when there's only enough adults around to attend them at a 20:1 ratio?
If the school has a safe room they are 100% safer at school vs home in a basement.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Friendly reminder to those in the earlier path, weather radios are great, charge your cell phones/power banks and for the littles (and yourself honestly), have shoes and bike helmets ready if you'll be going to a basement or interior space. And any critical prescriptions/meds close at hand.

Never thought of helmets but that's a good one or the kiddos. If I ever have to do a basement dive again I might opt for my old hard hat or better yet, old German WWII helmet my dad bought back.

Reactions: FLYINGCYCLONE

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Storm moving at 60 mph. I bet that's fun for storm chasers to try and keep up with.

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
If the school has a safe room they are 100% safer at school vs home in a basement.
That's a pretty big if though. Very few schools have a safe room, I'm pretty confident that none of the elementaries in Ankeny do. I asked my son where they went this morning when the sirens went off, and they went to their collaboration room, which is just an interior room with no exterior windows.

cs6804

Nov 2, 2009
That's a pretty big if though. Very few schools have a safe room, I'm pretty confident that none of the elementaries in Ankeny do. I asked my son where they went this morning when the sirens went off, and they went to their collaboration room, which is just an interior room with no exterior windows.
they are required in the newer additions of the IBC. I would be surprised if the new schools in Ankeny don't have them. My kids are in Waukee and there elementary (Eason) has one.

• Agree

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Just because it’s not a dedicated shelter doesnt mean it wasn’t designed to be a safe room. Schools can’t afford to have wasted space, so the tornado shelter doubles as a classroom 99% of the time. It’s about how it is constructed, not what’s in it. I’ll take the concrete building over a stick home every day of the week. Biggest thing to worry about with schools is the roof. And any newer building has those designed with storms in mind.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Newest schools in Ankeny absolutely have them. The Catholic school in town had to construct a room to meet safe room code with their recent school addition.

• Agree

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
they are required in the newer additions of the IBC. I would be surprised if the new schools in Ankeny don't have them. My kids are in Waukee and there elementary (Eason) has one.
Eason isn't even that new. Believe it is actually now the oldest elementary in Waukee, opened in the mid 90s.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Channel 13 has storm chasers on a large multivortex tornado.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Temp has gone up 6° in the last 30 minutes in Ames even with cloud cover. It feels nasty out right now.