*** Official #6 IOWA STATE vs #2 Houston Game(Day) Thread ***

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Their guards with the ball pushed off extremely hard right in front of refs all game, it was weird. Maybe I watch too much nba but they looked like easy foul calls to me (must calls) and our ball handlers were not doing the same.
Stop crying about it, I'm told.

• Agree
Reactions: 3TrueFans

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
I’d say most of our fans know we caught some breaks against Baylor.

What call did ISU get last night equivalent to the horrific call where nobody even touched the Houston player, he had a very bad unforced turnover, but refs they gifted him 2 FTs. Would love to see this footage you’re claiming exists. Please point out the time of game.
Seriously, still crying about the officiating?

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I’ll say the officiating wasn’t anything like the worst we’ve seen against KU, although some of those worst examples are getting to be many years ago. ISU definitely could have still won in spite of it, which is something. They hit some timely 3s which is the best and smartest thing that can be done if a team is getting touch fouls while the other team is allowed tackles and moving hockey screens.
I think the most prudent point, they were in it despite some home cooking.

Most teams get blown out.

There is a reason so many rated teams are losing on the road to non rated teams this year.

Just put your head down and play is what you gotta do.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
These along with the foul nobody even touched them on they turned into 2pts were the no doubt blown/bad calls, one was borderline flagrant and no call. Maybe also the one where Lipsey was starting a fast break and got mugged twice with no call then touch foul in ISU next play.

Let’s just live in reality. Houston is great, Shead is great, ISU played really hard…but that was not good officiating and this “it all evened out” is just being weird and silly.
It's not just silly, it's gaslighting. We all saw it and are being told we didn't.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Show me one person who is saying those weren't reasons that we lost.
So we agree that is primary the reason they lost, not refs. Right?

And that teams like ISU and Houston get lots of home cooking, it's fact and we have to learn to accept it. Fair enough?

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
So we agree that is the reason they lost, not refs. Right?

And that teams like ISU and Houston get lots of home cooking, it's fact and we have to learn to accept it.
Only Sith deal in absolutes.

The officiating was part of the problem, and there is no real debate about it. They nearly had enough to overcome it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think the most prudent point, they were in it despite some home cooking.

Most teams get blown out.

There is a reason so many rated teams are losing on the road to non rated teams this year.

Just put your head down and play is what you gotta do.

It’s amazing to me how they can do it. After some of those moving screens it had to be tempting to just deck somebody.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This is the impatient piece I constantly bring up. It's a team thing at times.

Otz brought up valuing possessions in the post-game so it's not like it's not a priority. I think sometimes the group gets caught up in the frantic pace and gets out ahead of the skis a bit.

ISU had 16 turnovers last night which isn't just god awful considering who they were playing, but the timing of them coming off a run out from a rebound or steal was the issue.

I'd say Curtis Jones is perhaps the best at just dialing it down a gear or so in intense situations but I think he even had a couple of mishaps last night. A lot of that was Houston too and it's a thing that just happens.

The 'why is ISU just settling for jumpers?!' thing was not shocking but still weird last night. You think ISU wouldn't have loved a few open lanes to the hoop? Haha

In an NCAA tourney game if the calls are tight ISU will need to find a way to dial back their pressure but still defend well or they'll get into trouble pretty quickly.
I think this sums it up pretty well. ISU manages its high-intensity demeanor well enough most of the time, but it does get away from them occasionally. Last night, given the caliber of the opponent, ISU just needed to be a bit more in control on a few occasions. From a correction standpoint, there aren't many tests like Houston on the schedule, so hopefully last night provided enough of an experience to improve some things.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This is the impatient piece I constantly bring up. It's a team thing at times.

Otz brought up valuing possessions in the post-game so it's not like it's not a priority. I think sometimes the group gets caught up in the frantic pace and gets out ahead of the skis a bit.

ISU had 16 turnovers last night which isn't just god awful considering who they were playing, but the timing of them coming off a run out from a rebound or steal was the issue.

I'd say Curtis Jones is perhaps the best at just dialing it down a gear or so in intense situations but I think he even had a couple of mishaps last night. A lot of that was Houston too and it's a thing that just happens.

The 'why is ISU just settling for jumpers?!' thing was not shocking but still weird last night. You think ISU wouldn't have loved a few open lanes to the hoop? Haha

In an NCAA tourney game if the calls are tight ISU will need to find a way to dial back their pressure but still defend well or they'll get into trouble pretty quickly.
Last night showed the difference between physical (ISU) and violent (Hou). Fran was as PC as possible stating we weren't getting calls. I don't see that working again for them in KC.

I don't believe in moral victories but I think we made it clear that we are the one team that will never back down.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Last night showed the difference between physical (ISU) and violent (Hou). Fran was as PC as possible stating we weren't getting calls. I don't see that working again for them in KC.

I don't believe in moral victories but I think we made it clear that we are the one team that will never back down.
Violent?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There was a stretch during the game where Houston got called for a few fouls consecutively which made it like 6-1 fouls in our favor, but in the end that didn't matter. They started calling some ticky tack crap on us and it took a ton of contact for them to blow the whistle on them. We got a "favorable" whistle for about 6-8 minutes out of the 40. We got to the bonus and should've been on the line numerous times due to their holding our off ball guys and complete hand checking on our guards.

That's not me blaming the refs either. There were some missed calls they had on us during the stretch we were favored in, but from the 12 minute mark on it was pretty damn bad. Fran mentioned it numerous times.

I'll note those 6-8 minutes where we ended up like 8-1 on fouls in our favor, a lot of that was just that Houston was mostly just putting up jumpers at that point, so naturally you're not going to see as many fouls called. Meanwhile I think we had adjusted to try to get some contact because we'd been fairly cold from distance.

Then, predictably, officials evened up the numbers with a bunch of ticky tack fouls even though they'd been calling things rather appropriately to that point.

Overall though i'd say it was really tilted against us in the first half, and then just kind of ass in the second half to no one's major benefit.