***Official Bench Steele Jantz thread***

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Well, while we're on the subject... What about our kicking game?
How do you miss an extra-point at point blank range? (Not sure Mason Crosby could even answer this one)
Got me, but it happens a lot. Wisconsin missed one, boise state seems to miss them a lot and won't try any field goals it appears, etc, etc. We're not the only team with a missed PAT this year.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
EXACTLY!!!! Unless you have a backup that has a proven ability to win a big game like the OSU game last year.....oh wait. Who was the QB that game? Huh. To say anyone who wants a change doesn't know ball is a stretch. Jantz has made it fair game for debate

We're 3-1 for pete's sake. If we were opposite, I'd agree with you.

You think it's a coincidence that Richardson has been taking reps with the twos as well.... Barnett is not the answer by any means. Remember he has his own turnover issues, that Jantz has...
'
Use a little logic, instead of emotion right now.

Oh and don't forget our terrible play calling, and horrid blocking by the O-Line... I suppose that is Jantz fault too? Good Grief.

For how much our fan base loves to chastise the Hawks for flipping out with emotion, you guys are acting just like them. And the fans like you make this place the hub of irrational idiots within our fan base.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This is ridiculous. Jantz's 3 picks... A miscommunication, a pass that was on the money that got hit out, and a throw up ball. It's hard to get yards passing in the first half when you throw like 7 passes. Did he play well? No. But he is not the reason we lost, there are many more issues.

The "throw up" ball was a terrible pass. We had a guy wide open in the corner of the end zone. If he would have thrown it to the corner, it would have been an easy TD. For some unknown reason he threw it to the middle of the end zone right to their defender. That was a bad, BAD pass.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
You really don't remember how last year ended, do you? By the end of the year defenses began figuring out the guy that won 3 Big 12 games was a one trick pony and he was terrible the rest of the year.

While it appears Jantz isn't the answer, Barnett clearly isn't either.

Barnett beat Kansas, Oklahoma State and lead an offense that scored 41 points on a ranked Texas Tech in Lubbock last year. By my count that is 35 more points than our offense scored last night.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
EXACTLY!!!! Unless you have a backup that has a proven ability to win a big game like the OSU game last year.....oh wait. Who was the QB that game? Huh. To say anyone who wants a change doesn't know ball is a stretch. Jantz has made it fair game for debate

How many fumbles did Barnett have last year, wasn't something like 16? I know he did not lose them all but he fumbled a ton. From the 2 QB's ISU has, neither one are a BCS conference QB. I do know what Rhoads is saying though with Jantz's ability to make a big play. Smarts would help him out a lot.

Barnett beat Kansas, Oklahoma State and lead an offense that scored 41 points on a ranked Texas Tech in Lubbock last year. By my count that is 35 more points than our offense scored last night.

That was a horrible performance against Kansas. An average QB would have beaten K-State and OU last year.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
We're 3-1 for pete's sake. If we were opposite, I'd agree with you.

You think it's a coincidence that Richardson has been taking reps with the twos as well.... Barnett is not the answer by any means. Remember he has his own turnover issues, that Jantz has...
'
Use a little logic, instead of emotion right now.

Oh and don't forget our terrible play calling, and horrid blocking by the O-Line... I suppose that is Jantz fault too? Good Grief.

For how much our fan base loves to chastise the Hawks for flipping out with emotion, you guys are acting just like them. And the fans like you make this place the hub of irrational idiots within our fan base.
Barnett had turnover issues LAST year. We don't know if those issues are still around. What we do know is Jantz still has major turnover issues THIS year. What are we going to lose by trying Barnett? At the very least we are playing the younger player and getting him more experience.
The only argument that can be made for Steele at this point, and it is a somewhat valid one, is how pathetic the offensive line has been so far. Jantz and our Oline have been our biggest two weaknesses so far and it is not a coincidence they are both struggling at the same time. I am honestly scared of what TCU is going to do to our Oline.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Any poster that wants Jantz benched doesn't understand football or understand that he is our best option at the moment.

Have anything to back that up?

We have a backup who won big games in the Big 12 last year. He lead the team that drilled this Tech team at home 41-7. He lead the biggest upset in Iowa State football history.

What has Jantz done? Outside of the Iowa game last year, he turns the ball over, and over, and over and has the ability to squeak by teams that are inferior to us (UNI, UCONN, Iowa this year) and has yet to win a Big 12 football game.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
Have anything to back that up?

We have a backup who won big games in the Big 12 last year. He lead the team that drilled this Tech team at home 41-7. He lead the biggest upset in Iowa State football history.

What has Jantz done? Outside of the Iowa game last year, he turns the ball over, and over, and over and has the ability to squeak by teams that are inferior to us (UNI, UCONN, Iowa this year) and has yet to win a Big 12 football game.

this

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Can we bench Courtney Messingham too? I don't think any quarterback could have succeeded with that game plan last night. Why weren't we running the ball more? When we did run, half the plays were throwarways. If I see another option with one offensive lineman to block two DL's a LB and a corner I might puke.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm as big of a CPR fan boy as there is but I really don't get the "he's the best we have" thing regarding JB vs. SJ.

JB running the zone read is the best our running game had looked in ages last season. SJ isn't exactly lighting the world on fire throwing the ball outside of the Tulsa game and a few non conference 4th quarters last year and he is turning it over a lot, while him being in the game definitely hampers our rushing attack. I honestly think against Big 12 competition JB may be the more accurate passer. SJ's #s in Big 12 play are horrendous.

I'll take someone who I think can operate our running game at high level, who is a question mark at passing and ball security over someone who is pretty much the same thing but not a natural at running the zone read.

Could anyone who is a number cruncher look up SJ's passing #s in his Big 12 games? JB's are basically already just Big 12 #s right? The Big 12 is just an incredible meat grinder. We have Iowa, Kansas, two other non-conf and then basically 8 ranked teams to play against pretty much every year now. It really doesn't matter if someone looks good against non-conf or KU, it's can we get it done against the top 25 team we'll play 75% of the time.

Bobby45

Aug 15, 2012
Come sat in FT Worth the Grate Steele Kantz will strike again with turnovers/ fumbles and int's......

Barnett anyone?

btw how many times has steele kantz beaten texas tech or okie state????

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
How about we bench the offensive line for not giving him much time to throw.....

I agree the O-line had a bad night, but they had a bad night. They have shown they can be serviceable and at times really good. Jantz has shown over and over again that he will not improve. He has consistantly been the sore spot in this offense. Our line at least has potential to become better with each game.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Steel will not be the QB for long. Either the turnovers will get him benched....or he will get killed by the lack of O-Line play.