****Official Class of 2019 Recruiting Thread****

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Yeah, I checked out the KU board yesterday to gauge their mood considering they have been the favorite for RJ since the fall. They were already celebrating last week when he set the date of his announcement, and dismissing the late rumors he'd be going over seas. That message board server is burning up right now.

Good for him, Hampton is a one an done either way, if he doesn't want to play college start getting paid right away. The only argument for playing college would be to increase your national profile to get a bigger shoe deal (ala Zion or Tre) or wanting to experience the college lifestyle. With Silvio and Doke playing next year, he may have seen that exposure with the lack of space.
All the one and dones should go overseas to play and get paid! Might clean up the blue bloods cheating activities! Even out the playing fields in the NCAA!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So that's two blue chip recruits in two years who have skipped the college route. How's the kid that backed out on Syracuse for the G League last year doing?

I'm sure other high profile recruits are keeping an eye on this but it's hard to believe it'll catch on unless it proves to be a viable path to the NBA.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
So that's two blue chip recruits in two years who have skipped the college route. How's the kid that backed out on Syracuse for the G League last year doing?

I'm sure other high profile recruits are keeping an eye on this but it's hard to believe it'll catch on unless it proves to be a viable path to the NBA.

I'm biased, but I think a lot of NBA guys would recommend the college route. Seems like guys are overthinking this stuff. Playing college basketball at a big-time university sounds like a blast to me. I'm not sure they understand what they're missing.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm biased, but I think a lot of NBA guys would recommend the college route. Seems like guys are overthinking this stuff. Playing college basketball at a big-time university sounds like a blast to me. I'm not sure they understand what they're missing.

Money (above the table) and the chance to focus on basketball entirely and not worry about academics at all are two pretty good arguments.

I think in terms of exposure and brand building big time college basketball is still the best alternative for blue chippers until the one and done rule is abolished. But just because it's been the only way so far doesn't mean there isn't a better way out there.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Money (above the table) and the chance to focus on basketball entirely and not worry about academics at all are two pretty good arguments.

I think in terms of exposure and brand building big time college basketball is still the best alternative for blue chippers until the one and done rule is abolished. But just because it's been the only way so far doesn't mean there isn't a better way out there.

Agree. Would anyone even remember the names of the top five prospects last year if they had went overseas to play basketball? I wouldn't, short of maybe Zion who had all kinds of buzz coming out of HS.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I get wanting to get paid and these type of players aren't in school to go to study, go to class, get a degree anyway but you can't put a number on the exposure a kid like Zion Williamson got last year by playing at Duke. This won't hurt the kids NBA prospects one bit but his "brand" won't be the same. He's leaving money on the table by missing out on the marketing that comes with playing at a blue blood.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I get wanting to get paid and these type of players aren't in school to go to study, go to class, get a degree anyway but you can't put a number on the exposure a kid like Zion Williamson got last year by playing at Duke. This won't hurt the kids NBA prospects one bit but his "brand" won't be the same. He's leaving money on the table by missing out on the marketing that comes with playing at a blue blood.

Yeah, but don't you think Zion is the exception to the rule? Out of all the elite high school recruits every year maybe one gets the season-long adulation of ESPN and other media outlets. This year it was Zion, the year before it was Trae Young. If a player doesn't land that coveted spot then they're not doing that much to build their brand no matter what school they attend. And if that's the case then why not go overseas, make a little money, and play against (maybe) better competition for a year?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Agree. Would anyone even remember the names of the top five prospects last year if they had went overseas to play basketball? I wouldn't, short of maybe Zion who had all kinds of buzz coming out of HS.

Does it matter? Worked fine for Mudiay, Jennings, and will for Ferguson in the draft this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don’t see what’s wrong with traveling another country getting paid to play basketball for a year. It’s like studying abroad without the studies.

Nothing wrong with it. Just think there are some young kids that are missing out on the experience. Not everything has to be a business decision. They're 18-19 years old.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Zion would still be a top 3 pick and endorsement deal draw but he absolutely benefited from the NCAA/Duke exposure.

The windfall from being ESPN’s golden child decays pretty quickly. If you’re not “the One,” then I’m not sure it really helps you much at all. You’ll make more playing in Europe or Australia than you can expect in $$$ from the exposure unless you are Zion or Trae, and Zion was special even before Duke to a degree we had not seen since maybe Wiggins or even LeBron.

Reactions: dshindy

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Look for the NBA to change their rules and really embrace the G league as a minor league in the coming years. Players will be able to sign with an agent, get endorsement deals if they're available, and get paid for their time. It won't be the route for everyone, but it doesn't have to be. Just another avenue to the NBA. It's not a coincidence that the NCAA has been toying with the idea of players being able to profit from their likenesses recently. They can see it coming too. And if their counteroffer to the G league is the same old, rule heavy, "amateur" model, they stand to lose some ground.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Look for the NBA to change their rules and really embrace the G league as a minor league in the coming years. Players will be able to sign with an agent, get endorsement deals if they're available, and get paid for their time. It won't be the route for everyone, but it doesn't have to be. Just another avenue to the NBA. It's not a coincidence that the NCAA has been toying with the idea of players being able to profit from their likenesses recently. They can see it coming too. And if their counteroffer to the G league is the same old, rule heavy, "amateur" model, they stand to lose some ground.
How soon do you think the shoe companies will jump into the fray? Think about the recent Adidas stuff. If I ran a shoe company, I'd be a lot more interested in steering a kid toward the G-league, where payments can be above the board and legal. They've already identified the likely one and done kids when they're in highschool.