****Official Class Of 2024 Recruiting Thread****

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Does anyone really know if we chose Pierce above him, or possibly sensed he was leaning NU all the way so didn't want to back off others, or that he didn't really want to necessarily follow a teammate to the same college, among other possible reasons? Just wondering if the above comments were speculation or factual, that's all. Cuz I don't sense he's the same position or player type as Industraitus or Pierce actually.
We cooled on Nick and Asuma when we got Nojus and Pierce.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Does anyone really know if we chose Pierce above him, or possibly sensed he was leaning NU all the way so didn't want to back off others, or that he didn't really want to necessarily follow a teammate to the same college, among other possible reasons? Just wondering if the above comments were speculation or factual, that's all. Cuz I don't sense he's the same position or player type as Industraitus or Pierce actually.
The staff projects Pierce as our future PG. Guessing the staff knew they'd need to go heavy on the wing this spring in the portal due to our losses so they'd only take one in the class. That's Indrusaitis plus we have Hamilton this class, which was our first choice. In the end it doesn't really matter.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
We cooled on Nick and Asuma when we got Nojus and Pierce.
True. The staff wanted a SG ‘24 and had offers to both. I do think the staff liked Nojus a bit more but if Nick would have committed 1st he would have gotten that spot.
As for cooling on Asuma I think that was the staff deciding the wanted immediate help at backup PG and decided the best path was hitting the portal. I happen to believe the impact of Pav and Gilbert next year will be more than to expect out of Asuma.
Having the extra scholly allowed them to go for Pierce and his tantalizing skills.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
The staff projects Pierce as our future PG. Guessing the staff knew they'd need to go heavy on the wing this spring in the portal due to our losses so they'd only take one in the class. That's Indrusaitis plus we have Hamilton this class, which was our first choice. In the end it doesn't really matter.
true, but just was curious. Glad he's in the Big Ten so I can watch him play against others and not us. Think he'll be a good one.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I sorta get the feeling it was more of a "we like all these guys but have 2 spots for guards and they're ready to commit" thing.

I love what Nojus and Pierce bring though and I'm not losing sleep over it. Nojus is just like the ideal prototypical 2/3 who kinda brings everything you'd want in that kind of player and Pierce as a pseudo-Kane bully PG is just a really fun kind of player.

For the record I do think Janowski will be a solid player, too.

Reactions: isutrevman

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I follow the portal more than usual lately but I suppose many fans do also just because of the new rules and the volume of players doing it. But I was surprised to see so many higher rated players coming into college (some even McDonald's All-Americans) that were moving on with really low stats. And the transfer portal would say 'former top 100' player, etc. I realize rankings aren't an exact science but it is interesting to watch the players succeed that aren't just top 100 guys.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I follow the portal more than usual lately but I suppose many fans do also just because of the new rules and the volume of players doing it. But I was surprised to see so many higher rated players coming into college (some even McDonald's All-Americans) that were moving on with really low stats. And the transfer portal would say 'former top 100' player, etc. I realize rankings aren't an exact science but it is interesting to watch the players succeed that aren't just top 100 guys.
I think a big key is just the extra COVID year that will settle down over the next few as they all graduate. Just by having a ton of 23/24 year olds out there makes it that much harder for freshman to carve out a role.

The free transfer also makes it less appealing sticking it out when another coach is in your ear selling guaranteed PT - whether or not they're lying through their teeth.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
I don’t know if this has been posted or not. Why haven’t we went after Martin Rancik’s boy Sebastian? He is 6-8 and ranked 53 by 247. Talk about your legacy recruit.
Maybe TJs recruiting net isn't extended out to California. However, being a legacy it should be a no-brainer contact. Rancik's high school is literally right down the street from me. If it isn't tampering, I'd be glad to hand him off a brochure on housing at Friley and food service plans

Last edited:

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Maybe TJs recruiting net isn't extended out to California. However, being a legacy it should be a no-brainer contact. Rancik's high school is literally right down the street from me. If it isn't tampering, I'd be glad to hand him off a brochure on housing at Friley and food service plans

I see Fred has offered. He coached Martin, right?
Maybe the kid was contacted and he expressed wanting to stay out west.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ankency

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

TJ was quite involved in California HS
Hoops in the past. He recruited Craig Brackens to ISU from California.

I know it’s highlight films, but he looks pretty good to me. Hope we at least made a phone call.

Love the Friley comment!

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA

Slip him a NIL hundy with the brochure.

Reactions: SoleCyclone

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I don’t know if this has been posted or not. Why haven’t we went after Martin Rancik’s boy Sebastian? He is 6-8 and ranked 53 by 247. Talk about your legacy recruit.
Anyone know if the mom is Martin's college girlfriend? LE might not have had the pickiest of rating systems, but he described her as an 11 on one of his coaching shows.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Anyone know if the mom is Martin's college girlfriend? LE might not have had the pickiest of rating systems, but he described her as an 11 on one of his coaching shows.
Slow down, LE definitely had an eye for the coeds.

Reactions: isutrevman

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Love his shot
Nojus is going to be an absolute stud.

He is just such a smooth athlete and his shot is pure. I wouldn't be shocked if he rose in the rankings this summer at all. He's got prototypical size and length and at least from what I can tell, no real glaring weaknesses?

I also love guys that have played in international competition, too. Iirc he was awesome there.
I think he might prove adequate.