****Official Class Of 2024 Recruiting Thread****

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
This goes more towards 2023 recruiting/next season (I know, bash me now to go to appropriate thread) but we have Biliew, Micolivic, Fish, Hamilton as the four coming in, correct? None of those are point guards. So won't we have to hit the portal for a pg to spell Lipsey since Holmes will be done?? I realize we have Jeremiah returning hopefully, but wouldn't want to guarantee that injury wouldn't effect his play. This year's scenario proves how important you have depth at that position. Need another reliable 'pg type' to spell Lipsey.
I think they’re betting between the rising star Lipsey, and Williams, who would’ve been the starting PG this year, we will have enough.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'd counter that with QUALITY > quantity

Give me one Monte Morris and one Matt Thomas over a 4-5 Gabe Kalscheur types
With recruiting, whether you are Duke or Iowa State, it's a numbers game. A coach doesn't know if they have Monte Morris or Chris Colvin until you have them on campus.

IMO a coach is building a roster where they recruit the best players AND position #'s that make sense. Hopefully, they are right 50% of the time and find a Morris, Niang, Halliburton, etc.

Scholarship mix something like:

2 PG's: Lipsey/Morris/NWB type floor general
1 CG: Dynamic perimeter scorer who can play PG in a pinch- aka Stinson, Kane
4 2G: Mix of guys who can score off dribble or spot up 3 - aka Mitrou-Long, Thomas, Brockington, Horton-Tucker
1 SF: taller wing who can defend opposing jump shooters. aka Clyburn, Nader, Chris Babb
3 PF: aka Niang, Tre King, Ejim, Brackins
2 Posts: Banger/Bounder aka Robert Jones, Homan and/or Rim Protector aka McKay, Osunniyi

So looking at core TJ is building based on HS recruiting:

PG: Lipsey
CG:
2G: Eli King, Hamilton, Indrusaitus
SF: Biliew
PF: Momcilovic, Watson (SF/PF), Fish
Last edited:
Reactions: isutrevman

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
With recruiting, whether you are Duke or Iowa State, it's a numbers game. A coach doesn't know if they have Monte Morris or Chris Colvin until you have them on campus.

IMO a coach is building a roster where they recruit the best players AND position #'s that make sense. Hopefully, they are right 50% of the time and find a Morris, Niang, Halliburton, etc.

Scholarship mix something like:

2 PG's: Lipsey/Morris/NWB type floor general
1 CG: Dynamic perimeter scorer who can play PG in a pinch- aka Stinson, Kane
4 2G: Mix of guys who can score off dribble or spot up 3 - aka Mitrou-Long, Thomas, Brockington, Horton-Tucker
1 SF: taller wing who can defend opposing jump shooters. aka Clyburn, Nader, Chris Babb
3 PF: aka Niang, Tre King, Ejim, Brackins
2 Posts: Banger/Bounder aka Robert Jones, Homan and/or Rim Protector aka McKay, Osunniyi

CG:
PF: Momcilovic, Watson (SF/PF)

• Friendly
Reactions: isucy86

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This goes more towards 2023 recruiting/next season (I know, bash me now to go to appropriate thread) but we have Biliew, Micolivic, Fish, Hamilton as the four coming in, correct? None of those are point guards. So won't we have to hit the portal for a pg to spell Lipsey since Holmes will be done?? I realize we have Jeremiah returning hopefully, but wouldn't want to guarantee that injury wouldn't effect his play. This year's scenario proves how important you have depth at that position. Need another reliable 'pg type' to spell Lipsey.
Williams was brought into be our starting PG. He'll likely play mostly the two though due to Lipsey's development.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Hard to convince a transfer pg to come in next year, knowing Tamin will be playing 30 mpg, barring injury. A scoring guard, like Holmes, who can handle backup pg duties, would seem a more likely target.
I would think Williams would start at off-guard and be able to fill in for Lipsey at PG. And if I recall correctly, Eli King played PG when he played in early Nov.

Our transfer targets will depend a lot on who comes back among Grill, Ward, Jones and Tre King. I hope they are all back, but who knows in the portal/grad transfer era.

Our biggest need is scoring guard who can score off dribble or make 3's.

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
Are we in on Cash Chavis at all. Saw some highlights of his online and he looked pretty good

Last edited:

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I am wondering if he’s going to jump in the rankings? He seems to be getting a lot of offers that have been rolling in over the last few months, including many P6.

Playing for a 1A high school I’m sure limits his exposure when it comes to recruiting rankings. It’s still early in the process for 2024s though. Asuma should finish a top 100 player.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

CG:
PF: Momcilovic, Watson (SF/PF), Fish
I've been wondering about this - is Milan really more of a PF than Omaha? I was thinking Milan was a '3' and Omaha was a '4' (although both are clearly "wings")

Also interesting analysis in that Asuna would fill in the blank at "CG" and Rock would fill in the "Post", right?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron