OFFICIAL GT vs. IA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Iowa did exactly what they need to do to dismantle GT and I'm for one shocked they did so. I apparently have not given that coaching staff enough credit.

Great win for Iowa and makes the ACC look like even more of a joke.

GT was the perfect bowl opponent for Iowa. Very one dimensional, and even though they are very good at what they do, if you have 30 days to prepare for that kind of attack, you should be ready. Iowa has been pretty salty against the run all year so the GT offense plays right into their hands. And yes the Iowa coaching staff is pretty darn good at preparing for big games.

I was impressed with what Iowa did offensively. Stanzi threw some very nice passes and the Hawk running game looked good when it had to. The Iowa OL did a great job in pass blocking and run blocking.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
It really hurts to say this but Iowa completely dominated what was a very highly touted GT offense.

I don't know how much Norm Parker gets paid but it's not enough. Farentz better hope that he is able to continue to coach until Kirk is ready to leave Iowa. Very few teams are as good as in Bowl games due to the experienced and strong coaching staff that has a month to prepare their gameplan and players.

Ricky Stanzi looked pretty good last night other than the pick in the first half.

This game was no where near as close as the score ended up, Iowa completely dominated the majority of the game.

Man I hate having to write these post! Makes me wanna vomit.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Iowa looked really good, no doubt about it. Would've loved to see an Iowa versus BSU match-up. This should be good for the Cyclones in IC next year because we generally win when everyone least expects it.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I agree that the month to prepare is huge. However look at the Missouri vs Navy game, similar offense (at least very one dimensional) and Navy took it too a decent Missouri team. GT has a lot more talent at all of the positions than Navy but they couldn't do anything against the Hawks D.

Iowa has proven that with time to prepare for what many feel is a superior team they can find a way to win. This says a lot about their coaching staff. Look back at previous years, South Carolina, LSU, Florida were all "too fast" and "too talented" for a slow Big Ten team and Iowa found a way to win against all of them. The only bolw in recent history that Iowa did not play well in was the last Orange Bowl and that was against a USC team that probably should have been playing for a NT. Remember that year and the only other team to beat Iowa, yep that right ISU!!:biglaugh:

Give credit where credit is due, the Hawks dominated a pretty good opponent in GT. I will give them one day of credit, after that its back to hating them!

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I have to give credit to Iowa after watching that game last night. They made Georgia Tech look like wannabee's last night other then about 2 drives of which one of the drives ended in an Iowa INT. I am now convinced that Stanzi almost has to throw a pick six just as standard part of his warm up routine. He is good, very good and I have downplayed him all year. The defense also played up to expectations. Good job out of the Hawks.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Some guy on the Dan Patrick show just said "Iowa is like the Giants, no matter how good they are, they bore me."

flyhighcy

Aug 7, 2006
Totally. Boring....and yet they win. Which sucks. I'll give 'em credit for one day....and then back to hating them again.

It really sucks that they had this type of season that followed players acused of rape, (and a sweeping of it under the rug), and some 20+ arrests. You would think that they shouldn't be able to have the success they had this year? How quickly their fan base forgets......as long as you are winning right Sqawks?
Wow could this be considered slanderous? Rape? 20+ arrests? could you please tell which Iowa football player has been accused of rape this past season? and could you list those 20+ arrests?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
It really sucks that they had this type of season that followed players acused of rape, (and a sweeping of it under the rug), and some 20+ arrests. You would think that they shouldn't be able to have the success they had this year? How quickly their fan base forgets......as long as you are winning right Sqawks?

Didn't most of that stuff start before the 2008 season? Time to shelf that excuse me thinks

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
It really hurts to say this but Iowa completely dominated what was a very highly touted GT offense.

I don't know how much Norm Parker gets paid but it's not enough. Farentz better hope that he is able to continue to coach until Kirk is ready to leave Iowa. Very few teams are as good as in Bowl games due to the experienced and strong coaching staff that has a month to prepare their gameplan and players.

Ricky Stanzi looked pretty good last night other than the pick in the first half.

This game was no where near as close as the score ended up, Iowa completely dominated the majority of the game.

Man I hate having to write these post! Makes me wanna vomit.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
Just curious, but...

Totally. Boring....and yet they win. Which sucks. I'll give 'em credit for one day....and then back to hating them again.

how was that incident (the alleged rape) swept under the rug? There are two guys (Everson and Satterfield) who are awaiting trial on felony charges who would disagree with you that it was swept under the rug. Those two never played a down of football again for Iowa after the incident, and well before any charges were ever filed. They were suspended and then kicked off the team. What other powers did Ferentz have? Throw them in jail? Hold them up for public ridicule? Did you read the independent investigation that said really the only people in power who acted as they should have during that whole mess were Ferentz and Barta? People in the President's office lost jobs, and the President didn't get a raise because of it.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Observations from last night
-Iowa's D (especially front 7) was phenominal.
-There offensive line was steady as always.
-Angerer (sp?) has to be on roids, right? Guilty til' proven innocent for me. Seriously though, he's just a good football player with great instincts (and a great drug dealer).
-Iowa does not allow big plays through the air. There front 7 is so dominant that there safteys can sit back and play centerfield (see Sash vs. us).
-An Iowa buddy of mine said Wegher looks like a "white Reggie Bush" and was serious. Gotta love em.
-There two young runningbacks played well and ran hard. That stretch run they do with the zone blocking is a thing of beauty. What's going to happen next year when Jewel Hampton comes back? They have options but someones going to get left out.
- Norm Parker is great. I like him (and Ferentz too). They both seem like good, down to earth people. Norm and Wally come from the same old style breed. Honestly, if 1 out of every 2 hawk fans were not such d bags, I could honestly cheer for them a little bit outside of ISU.
- Im sure the trailor parks were hopping til' the wee hours of the morning and the city of Miami turned into Akron, Iowa southeast.
-In all honesty, one of the best defensive performances I have seen in a long time.
-Oh yeah, forgot, I still think Stanzi likes guys.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Re: Just curious, but...

how was that incident (the alleged rape) swept under the rug? There are two guys (Everson and Satterfield) who are awaiting trial on felony charges who would disagree with you that it was swept under the rug. Those two never played a down of football again for Iowa after the incident, and well before any charges were ever filed. They were suspended and then kicked off the team. What other powers did Ferentz have? Throw them in jail? Hold them up for public ridicule? Did you read the independent investigation that said really the only people in power who acted as they should have during that whole mess were Ferentz and Barta? People in the President's office lost jobs, and the President didn't get a raise because of it.

Don't take the bait....please. There are some Clone fans on here who like to bring this up every time Iowa wins a game. That this happened 2 1/2 years ago matters not.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007

Don't take the bait....please. There are some Clone fans on here who like to bring this up every time Iowa wins a game. That this happened 2 1/2 years ago matters not.

THH . . why? Why? WHY?:no: Please get a life. Please.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
Observations from last night
-Iowa's D (especially front 7) was phenominal.
-There offensive line was steady as always.
-Angerer (sp?) has to be on roids, right? Guilty til' proven innocent for me. Seriously though, he's just a good football player with great instincts (and a great drug dealer).
-Iowa does not allow big plays through the air. There front 7 is so dominant that there safteys can sit back and play centerfield (see Sash vs. us).
-An Iowa buddy of mine said Wegher looks like a "white Reggie Bush" and was serious. Gotta love em.
-There two young runningbacks played well and ran hard. That stretch run they do with the zone blocking is a thing of beauty. What's going to happen next year when Jewel Hampton comes back? They have options but someones going to get left out.
- Norm Parker is great. I like him (and Ferentz too). They both seem like good, down to earth people. Norm and Wally come from the same old style breed. Honestly, if 1 out of every 2 hawk fans were not such d bags, I could honestly cheer for them a little bit outside of ISU.
- Im sure the trailor parks were hopping til' the wee hours of the morning and the city of Miami turned into Akron, Iowa southeast.
-In all honesty, one of the best defensive performances I have seen in a long time.
-Oh yeah, forgot, I still think Stanzi likes guys.

Do you think he knows the difference between their and there? :jimlad:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Wow, this is just too perfect. How was this swept under the rug? It happened 2 1/2 years ago? First off, I know basic addition and subtraction is a grad level course at Iowa, but the story broke in June of 2008. That is a year and a half ago, not two and a half. The fact that it seems more like two and a half just proves that they have done a great job of pushing this to the side and trying to make it go away. When the hell is that trial date finally scheduled now? Has it been pushed out to like fall of 2010 now?

I'm not going to go through all this crap because it has been done to death on these boards, but from a lot of reports, Ferentz at the least showed some very poor judgement in sending players back into the room. The "independent" investigation was carried out by a law firm that specializes in defending schools from allegations like this, and I think a strong case can be made that the president's office fell on the sword to protect the beloved football program. There are plenty of details that don't seem to add up and could get messy if they come out in court, but of course every time this thing is about to go to trial football season gets rolling and it seems to get delayed... hmm.

But please, don't let reality disturb your wet dreams about a national title run next season on a day like today. Just win baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.