***Official Happy 311 Day Thread***********

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
I feel like I got lucky when I started listening to 311 some 24 years at the age of 11. They have been rocking, touring and consistently putting out great music for the last 30+ years. My older brother let me listen to his 311 Blue Album tape, and one of the first CDs I ever bought was Transistor a year or so later.

Today 311 hosts a livestream that will cover that 1997 album in its entirety, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't freaking ecstatic. It's still my favorite 311 album (and maybe personal top 5 all time), and now I literally work with transistors (well, CMOS models) every day. Needless to say 311 has had a measurable, non-zero, positive impact on my life.

Any other 311 fans out there? Are there any others that have had a single piece of art/music influence them in some way?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
It's great top-off-the-jeep summer music. "Sunset in July" is my catharsis.

I saw 311 at a small locale in Omaha early on and liked their style pretty much immediately. They have some stuff I don't care for, but every band does. I can normally put on a 311 album and let the whole thing play.

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Always been a huge fan since their first album came out. I saw them at People's bar in the mid- 90s. One of the best concerts I've been to, the place was electric and the band and crowd fed off of each other in such a small environment.

Reactions: StratCY

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Love 311. I am a Dirty Heads fan also and was glad to hear on the Swim Team album that Nick Hexum did a song with them. I actually saw them play a lot around town when I was young before they got big.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Got the Transistor full play through live stream teed up for the projector tonight in the garage. Just waiting to see if they will play the hidden track at the beginning.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I was along for ride early on for 311 (to this day, they remain one of my top 5 favorite bands - maybe even top 2-3). Saw them three times (2X in Va. and 1X in Omaha - small venue.....awesome). Always a great show. Started drifting after Soundsystem (spouse / kids / the usual) and I haven't bought another album since unfortunately (need to change that ASAP), as some of their great music has been in the last 20 years (which is wild to think about their longevity). Great memories for all of their music

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Haven’t listened to them in a while. Have a bit of their stuff on an old iPod somewhere. I do remember the first time I heard “Come Original”, which was my first exposure to them, i kind of grinned and said “well...what is this?”

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Haven’t listened to them in a while. Have a bit of their stuff on an old iPod somewhere. I do remember the first time I heard “Come Original”, which was my first exposure to them, i kind of grinned and said “well...what is this?”

Come Original is one of my least favorite 311 tracks. Made for MTV. The rest of Soundsystem is underrated.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
It's great top-off-the-jeep summer music. "Sunset in July" is my catharsis.

I saw 311 at a small locale in Omaha early on and liked their style pretty much immediately. They have some stuff I don't care for, but every band does. I can normally put on a 311 album and let the whole thing play.

Back when I had a Jeep to take the top off of, 311s From Chaos album was a definite go to. God damn I miss that ****.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I knew I’d get a response like this. I can’t change that it was my first exposure to them and it grabbed me. Had I not heard that song, I may not even know who 311 is.

Don’t get me wrong I love anything 311 does. It was probably a lot of peoples first exposure since it was a TRL staple for months.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Got the Transistor full play through live stream teed up for the projector tonight in the garage. Just waiting to see if they will play the hidden track at the beginning.
Word on the street is it's a go. Considering they did the ESTD songs on their blue album livestream, I would imagine they do the hidden intro. Either way, celebrate appropriately, then repeat for the 311 day sequel in 40 days.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Word on the street is it's a go. Considering they did the ESTD songs on their blue album livestream, I would imagine they do the hidden intro. Either way, celebrate appropriately, then repeat for the 311 day sequel in 40 days.

I missed the blue album stream. Good info.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron