*** Official IOWA STATE vs #14 Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I am by no means a basketball expert so someone enlighten me please. Are our offensive struggles just a lack of x's and o's and gelling together, or is it just talent? Because even when we got open looks, we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I think it's both. I think our offense is very predictable, which is why we turned the ball over a million times last night and then we just can't shoot.
I'll say at this point I don't think there's a lot of offensive talent, and you would struggle to get above average numbers from this group. But I also don't think they're always put in great situations to succeed, either.

It's less X's and O's for me and more about what I believe to be coachable/fixable things that either didn't get better or got worse on offense throughout the year. We've heard players got benched for defensive lapses, but then there are guys who repeatedly have awful turnovers because of just laziness both passing the ball and catching the ball, not to mention poor ball handling. (My big hope in the portal is this is addressed) I'm not convinced something like going to meet the ball as someone passes it to you is actually a talent thing, really.

I think things get a lot better if you have more guys who can stress the defense and create more space to work with. I just also would be lying if I said I thought they did the little things on offense that help maximize their ability on that end. Things like ball handlers not setting up screens well have cost this team a lot of points this year. Like I said, though, these things can be addressed though and would imagine it looks better with both more talent in the future and more emphasis on those things.

Reactions: loyalsons4evertrue

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
An all-in ISU senior who's seen the worst of times in the history of the program and by all accounts has had great presence in the ISU community was called a POS in a win.

It's remarkable that there wasn't at least a time out given there.
No kidding.that was
An all-in ISU senior who's seen the worst of times in the history of the program and by all accounts has had great presence in the ISU community was called a POS in a win.

It's remarkable that there wasn't at least a time out given there.
no kidding. That was unacceptable.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Play harder.
Ah. I see. The severely offensively limited team (as was widely known before the season started) this staff put together on the fly in year one, won 20 games and made it to the NCAA tournament because

....*checks notes*...

because, they didn't play hard enough?

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
You had me until you were baffled.
I haven't been around CF to not still ve surprised by the lack of perspective and rational reflection.

We somehow manage to think we're entitled too much more, as well as think the teams are way worse than they are all at the same time. It's odd.

Reactions: HoustonClone

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Ah. I see. The severely offensively limited team (as was widely known before the season started) this staff put together on the fly in year one, won 20 games and made it to the NCAA tournament because

....*checks notes*...

because, they didn't play hard enough?
Overall, I am happy with their season, no doubt. But they have had some disappointing lapses in effort and focus - 3 or 4 games where they did not come to play.

I hope they right the ship.

Reactions: davegilbertson

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Overall, I am happy with their season, no doubt. But they have had some disappointing lapses in effort and focus - 3 or 4 games where they did not come to play.

Agree overall. Moreover with focus than effort. Heart and grit has these boys dancing in stained and torn ball gown..

A couple 3s falling makes the effort look fantastic.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

There were games and stretches in games where we got a good look at how things can look if they don't stick to the details.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Just gotta say after reading this thread... lol...

It's hard for me to fathom that some of you are still alive after a game like this. Jumping off of bridges....

Anyway, I will say that when we lose we don't half ass it. We lose with emphasis.

That said, I am seriously proud of the guys and am going to watch intently selection Sunday. Never thought I'd be typing this 6 months ago. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Just gotta say after reading this thread... lol...

It's hard for me to fathom that some of you are still alive after a game like this. Jumping off of bridges....

Anyway, I will say that when we lose we don't half ass it. We lose with emphasis.

That said, I am seriously proud of the guys and am going to watch intently selection Sunday. Never thought I'd be typing this 6 months ago. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.
Agree, the women's game is on. Enjoy some scoring.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I think Brockington is a great player and team mate. Amazing numbers on the season - leading scorer and rebounder. A warrior. TT took him out of the game.They were taller, longer, stronger and played super hard. Hard to scheme your way out of that.
It was a significant physical mismatch across the board - including IB. I think they are an extremely hard match up for many teams / especially one offensively challenged. When you cannot shoot, and the other team knows it, there is not much penalty for the defense being overly aggressive. If they go for the steal and do not get it you must make them pay by scoring. We cannot. Not many teams can copy the TT game plan. I would not be surprised if we win a game in the dance.
Yeah, no doubt. Tech has length at every position and they all can pretty much guard 1-5. And we were not great across the board.

It's just more noticeable that IB struggles going to his off hand side (right) and shooting from deep (has improved) when he goes up against a defense like Tech's.

I love the guy and think he's a big-time player. Last night doesn't diminish what he's done for this team all season for sure. But I think he can get even better. I guess selfishly I hope he comes back.

But hey, we've got games left here. And I agree this team could win a couple or maybe more depending on our matchups. Getting a break from the physical play of the Big XII will be a huge benefit for our guys in the Tourney I think.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
The biggest disappointment that I have seen this year is the number of Cyclone fans that have trash talked our own players and coaches. These coaches and young men deserve our respect for bucking the odds to win 20 games while maintaining good character on and off of the court. Win or lose I am proud of the effort that this group put in and happily accept them into the Cyclone Family. Go Cyclones.
The crap talk directed GK's way is freaking insane.

Fans who can't see all of the positives that he brings to the team every game probably have never played organized basketball.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I dislike iowa as much as anybody on this board - but they are a dangerous team right now. Not somebody you want to play.
But their Achilles heel is the same as last year.

A team with big guards and length (Oregon last year) will give them mucho problems in the tournament.

Just look at what our guards did to them.

I also have to say that IMO the B1G is really suspect this year. It's not a great league by any stretch.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
But their Achilles heel is the same as last year.

A team with big guards and length (Oregon last year) will give them mucho problems in the tournament.

Just look at what our guards did to them.

I also have to say that IMO the B1G is really suspect this year. It's not a great league by any stretch.
Agree. Tiny Ten is a league who’s prestige is driven by AP voters, not actual play on the court. Overrated as ever with their “best” teams propping up their records by playing… the rest of the league.

The suckeyes are a dangerous team? My goodness I’d kill to play them again, we actually could know what it’s like to dominate again.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Yeah, no doubt. Tech has length at every position and they all can pretty much guard 1-5. And we were not great across the board.

It's just more noticeable that IB struggles going to his off hand side (right) and shooting from deep (has improved) when he goes up against a defense like Tech's.

I love the guy and think he's a big-time player. Last night doesn't diminish what he's done for this team all season for sure. But I think he can get even better. I guess selfishly I hope he comes back.

But hey, we've got games left here. And I agree this team could win a couple or maybe more depending on our matchups. Getting a break from the physical play of the Big XII will be a huge benefit for our guys in the Tourney I think.
Oklahoma bigs having success against TT so far. Hmmmm……