*** Official IOWA STATE vs #19 Kansas State Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They are throwing the ball to then run it, not the other way around. You see it happening all the time, but showing the defense we are going to throw the ball down the field, it forces them to not step up when they are running the ball.

You could clearly see that in the TCU game, their LB would come up to stop the run-on early downs, and instead we threw it thereby creating a lane for the receiver to catch the ball and turn up field. It left the LBers in no man's land.

TCU's defense is also not very good.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
They are throwing the ball to then run it, not the other way around. You see it happening all the time, but showing the defense we are going to throw the ball down the field, it forces them to not step up when they are running the ball.

You could clearly see that in the TCU game, their LB would come up to stop the run-on early downs, and instead we threw it thereby creating a lane for the receiver to catch the ball and turn up field. It left the LBers in no man's land.
2020 was the only one of those 4 years that Northwestern averaged significantly higher yards per completion (a proxy for "throwing downfield") at 11.8 than Rocco had against Iowa this year (8.8). The other years were very similar to Rocco's yards per completion this year (2018: 8.1, 2017: 9.1, 2016: 9.1).

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I stole this idea from Two Guys Named Chris but I really believe it...those 7 teams have allowed each other to morph into a lot of the same ugly football. They enable each other. Iowa is the best at it but they all do it to varying degrees of success.

No divisions plus infusing the 4 west coast teams that all have far better offenses than the B10W is going to hit them like a freight train. They will all need to adapt fast or they'll be some Washington Generals. Minnesota, IL, NW, and Nebraska especially are just guaranteed losers when they travel west unless they modernize their offenses, they already pretty much always lose to the top 3 programs in the east and top 4 before MSU fell off. I think Iowa and Wisc could be ok but the bottom five of that division really are looking at a lot of losing coming at them. Nebraska missing a bowl with a 60th ranked SOS was pretty horrible timing for them when real schedules start soon.
It’s weird because Nebraska did try the modernized offense approach and it also failed spectacularly.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
This year has just been huge in terms of establishing that this program is still strong, and that last season was an anomaly. Extra sweet that this was done in the face of immense adversity and with a whole bunch of young guys contributing.
The expectations will be high next year, it will be interesting to see how we handle that again.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I think it's more that our offense was unable to move the ball consistently on our other drives. CW said in the post game via another listener that we only had 2 plays in KSU territory the whole game. The fact we won with that kind of stat is crazy.

I will always take points over time of possession, but out offense was really unable to move the ball.

That's a bad take. Honestly a really bad take. On twitter there were a bunch of complaints about not "winning in the trenches" so I went back and re-watched the game.

The fact of the matter is that both offenses dominated the defensive lines. In a game where traction is a major challenge, this is to be expected. Defense has to react to pressure, reaction is going to be a tough ask when you can't always get your cleats in the ground.

Kansas State punted 5 times, 1 INT and 1 turnover on downs. We punted 4 and had 1 fumbled on offense. Those are "stops". If you include stopping Kansas State and making them kick field goals that would be 9 total stops versus their 5.

It FELT like Kansas State was dominating because of time of possession. What was really happening is that Iowa State was preventing the big play and making KSU march down the field. Eventually they did make a mistake (the INT). In a game like that, you take that every time.

Would ISU like to have possessed the ball longer on offense? Of course. But that's difficult to do when you have 5 plays that are designed for 5-15 yards that go for 60 plus. The only "intentional" long TD play was the shortest of the night! (33 yards to Higgens).

Also, please don't forget that KSU was supposed to be one of our toughest tests regarding line play. I'd rank them (coming in) right up there with Iowa but behind Texas.

Putting up nearly 500 yards of offense, 42 points and punting a total of 4 times is not "unable to move the ball".

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
i don’t know where else to put this but I’m seeing this comp everywhere. Didn’t Purdy not really start the entire season his freshman year? He didn’t really come in until conference games?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
i don’t know where else to put this but I’m seeing this comp everywhere. Didn’t Purdy not really start the entire season his freshman year? He didn’t really come in until conference games?

Purdy did not start the year... I think he came in around game 4 or 5.

Reactions: Clonefan94

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
The ISU defense probably didn't mind being on the field for 100+ snaps on Saturday. They got lots of playing time and didn't freeze up while standing on the sideline. Maybe that's what happened to the KState DBs?

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Yes, and Purdy was a true freshman. Not really an apples to apples comparison. Rocco had a great season. I wish he didn't have to constantly get compared to Purdy, but that's what we do I guess.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yes, and Purdy was a true freshman. Not really an apples to apples comparison. Rocco had a great season. I wish he didn't have to constantly get compared to Purdy, but that's what we do I guess.
We're gonna see that with Sama and Breece now.

• Agree
Reactions: NorthCyd

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Hypothetical and completely unimportant, but as KSU was driving at the end I was wondering if thet'd go for 2 to win in regulation. Convention says tie at home, go for the win on the road. But they seemed to be able to pick up 3 yards whenever it was needed.

Turned out there was no need to worry!

Actually my biggest worry was that we were gonna get completely screwed at the end

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl and nrg4isu

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022

Yes. Kempt started the year, got hurt at Iowa and was replaced by Zeb Noland. Zeb struggled and Purdy played his first game at Oklahoma State.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This year has just been huge in terms of establishing that this program is still strong, and that last season was an anomaly. Extra sweet that this was done in the face of immense adversity and with a whole bunch of young guys contributing.

Something that doesn't get mentioned is that last season's bad was way better than many other program's version of bad or down years that usually have a few drubbings.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Something that doesn't get mentioned is that last season's bad was way better than many other program's version of bad or down years that usually have a few drubbings.
There are a lot of people who were waiting to pile on Campbell for a down year (usually people who don't think ISU is a good job), but you are right, 6 one score losses, so it could have been a great year with a play here or there.

Reactions: NENick

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Just watching KCCI news this morning. They don’t show a single highlight of the win last night. They talk about it, and show some stats. BUT….we got highlights of the Michigan game and video of an interview of Kirk Ferentz. Man does out local news suck. Oh, also as i type this, we get video of Drake and also Grandview. But no video of ISU.
Should be some consideration to station complaints. Otherwise that suks and is pretty blatant.