*** Official IOWA STATE Vs Akron Gameday Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So far the 2nd half adjustments and execution has generally been good. ISU looked pretty sharp in the 1st quarter today and outside of the 2nd quarter lull was good enough to win handedly.

I still can't get a read at just how good they are or could be. Defense is still a bit leaky and the running game is improving but isn't quite reliable.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good win today. It was nice to see the opponent instead of the Cyclones repeatedly shooting their foot into a bloody stump. Few nits to pick -

Park better learn how to slide. The run early on when he lowered his shoulder to finish the run and the horse collar later could have been disastrous. Playing with fire there. Slide or get out of bounds and live for the next play.

The secondary has to do better at keeping everything in front of them. Between this game and the Iowa game they've been badly beaten only to get bailed out by poorly thrown deep balls in multiple occasions. Guys like Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph won't miss those throws.

Park is generally very accurate, but when he misses he misses high, which is crazy considering the size of the receiving corps. He's going to get someone hurt going across the middle.

Ok, enough complaining. A win is a win, and Texas awaits. I like their chances of getting the W and a little momentum.

Reactions: cyclones500

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Normally agree but he was terrible today. At least three bad drops and two very costly penalties. He is not going to get drafted if he doesn't pull it together.

felt like Lazard was a good part of the anger Campbell expressed in the post game interview. He expects his best player to be the ones making plays to win games, and AL just has not looked all that good the last two games. Not a big deal for this game, but one more catch against Iowa and ISU might be 3-0.

• Agree
Reactions: IanCYCLONE

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wasn't able to watch the game today but on stat tracker Lanning seemed pretty incredible.
8 tackles, 3 solo, 1.5 sacks, 1.5 tackle for loss, 1 pass deflection, 1 interception

Are those #s misleading? The seems like phenomenal progress.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I wasn't able to watch the game today but on stat tracker Lanning seemed pretty incredible.
8 tackles, 3 solo, 1.5 sacks, 1.5 tackle for loss, 1 pass deflection, 1 interception

Are those #s misleading? The seems like phenomenal progress.

Not misleading. He played a good game. His interception and near interception were both text book drops and read by a LB.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not misleading. He played a good game. His interception and near interception were both text book drops and read by a LB.

Exciting stuff, I hoped when he made the switch he'd have a nose for the ball given previous experience.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Couple final thoughts:

1. That TD pass from Park to Murdoch was a big time play and pass. Scrambling to his right and throwing a strike 35 yards down field on a full run. Park has been a little high on a few throws this year, but he has been very impressive on his pocket presence and ability to find the open man.

2. There were a whole bunch of DBs that played yesterday. I get the feeling that CMC and staff are not real pleased with the number of guys that have gotten behind the defense so far this year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Couple final thoughts:

1. That TD pass from Park to Murdoch was a big time play and pass. Scrambling to his right and throwing a strike 35 yards down field on a full run. Park has been a little high on a few throws this year, but he has been very impressive on his pocket presence and ability to find the open man.

2. There were a whole bunch of DBs that played yesterday. I get the feeling that CMC and staff are not real pleased with the number of guys that have gotten behind the defense so far this year.
Yeah, I've been perplexed by our DB play this year too. For as much hype that they got during the spring/summer, that position group leaves much to be desired. I see where we played a bunch of True Fr. yesterday, has Arnold Azunna seen the field yet or has he been passed up?

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Yeah, I've been perplexed by our DB play this year too. For as much hype that they got during the spring/summer, that position group leaves much to be desired. I see where we played a bunch of True Fr. yesterday, has Arnold Azunna seen the field yet or has he been passed up?
I don't know if it's a result of scheme, is the defense selling out against the run at the sacrifice of coverage? There has been a lot of blown coverages though.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't know if it's a result of scheme, is the defense selling out against the run at the sacrifice of coverage? There has been a lot of blown coverages though.
From what I can tell, they definitely leave the db's in man coverage a lot. I'm guessing we'll see some scheme change as we get into Big 12 play, esp. against teams like TTech, Okie Light etc.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Hopefully that is the case, because it has been pretty ugly so far. Not sure if the safeties are getting caught in run support, or BDs are handing off receivers to the safeties when they shouldn't but there have been a lot of plays with guy 7-10 yards behind the defense.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Good for Akron. Hope they win the MAC. Would make that win look even better and make their trip to Ames in 2018 a little more interesting

Reactions: Cycsk

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Good for Akron. Hope they win the MAC. Would make that win look even better and make their trip to Ames in 2018 a little more interesting

And a good chance they'll be playing Toledo for the title. Iowa State really has their finger on the pulse of MACtion.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk