*** Official Iowa vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This is Campbell’s offense and his only. Kyle Shanahan could be titled OC at ISU and nothing would change. This abomination is him and him only.
And I am pretty much past wanting to listen to Campbell's pressers anymore. I wonder what the coach speak will be this time?

He has to let go of the offense. Will he? I don't think so.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever and NWICY

jdolson27

May 23, 2015
First photo they are playing 9 yards off bitter. Second photo is when play is developed. As you see he still has plenty of space for quick throw or quick slant. Play action to quick slant. Or quick throw after snap. The play was in traffic in center of field for deflection. There were so many blown options all day like this.

Attachments

• 52EF74CC-4746-4DAA-A5B8-3CE449A75A53.jpeg
    52EF74CC-4746-4DAA-A5B8-3CE449A75A53.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 13
  • CEFC9E1C-789E-4F51-AD7D-6414DE8BB8E0.jpeg
    CEFC9E1C-789E-4F51-AD7D-6414DE8BB8E0.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: RezClone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I thought you were done with ISU? Winning 6 games in the year you don't face Texas OR Oklahoma is not even close to the same as what CMC has done. The large amount of covid sr's the hole left by their departure last year and the gambling fiasco this year has led to very young teams the past 2 seasons. That matters especially at adevelopmental program like ISU. Obviously offensively they were trying to protect Rocco and the pick six shows why. The sun will come out tomorrow and I'll be cheering for this team all year.
I applaud you.

I'm starting to slip.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I’ll defend them and I’m not miserable at all. I’m sorry you are so emotionally fragile.
Losing 20-13 to the Hawkeyes was not embarrassing. As I said previously, you want to win every game of course, but that is a reasonable outcome. And I’m sure Campbell will have things he wished he’d done different…maybe he even does struggle to our coach Ferentz, but that doesn’t make him a bad coach.

You also can’t ignore that this was Rocco’s second start…and there were multiple drops. There will be a lot of good tape from this game to use for growth going into next weekend and then the Big 12 slate.

Reactions: cyclonemagic

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
No - it was a hypothetical example. Look at last year. Iowa State beat Iowa only to have a terrible conference record.

Could Iowa State lose to Iowa and have a terrible conference record? Of course. And vice versa. The point being this one game doesn’t determine the success or failure of the season.

True, but it plays a big part in the success or failure of the PROGRAM in a state like Iowa with two D1 teams imo.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
First photo they are playing 9 yards off bitter. Second photo is when play is developed. As you see he still has plenty of space for quick throw or quick slant. Play action to quick slant. Or quick throw after snap. The play was in traffic in center of field for deflection. There were so many blown options all day like this.
RS Freshman making his second start against a good defense.

jdolson27

May 23, 2015
RS Freshman making his second start against a good defense.
A college football player freshman or not. The coaches should be calling for the slant or quick throw when defense is 9 yards off. Not on the quarterback that’s on the coaches not adjusting to what the defense gives them.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
True, but it plays a big part in the success or failure of the PROGRAM in a state like Iowa with two D1 teams imo.
The success or failure of the PROGRAM is how the team fares over the course of the entire year, year in and year out. By taking the extreme to your scenario, Iowa State could go 1-11 each year, but the lone win is vs Iowa. Under your viewpoint, Iowa State would be considered to be the more successful program in the state

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
We won this game fairly often under Mac. Have lost it almost every year under Campbell. We had growth under Mac, but the program is without question better now.

Reactions: Cyhig

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
A college football player freshman or not. The coaches should be calling for the slant or quick throw when defense is 9 yards off. Not on the quarterback that’s on the coaches not adjusting to what the defense gives them.
Going to need to see credentials before trusting your analysis over CMC and staff.

Taz4President

Oct 3, 2013
Austin TX
They win the b1g west by 1 game, get smoked in the title game, get smoked by a decent bowl opponent, and their fans will trumpet how they are one of the top programs in the country.

Hopefully they will at least muster 25 points per game so they keep their equalizer employed .

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
.You knew it was coming too. Once it was 4th down I turned to everyone here and said “run up the middle for the loss.”
I should have known better. I keep thinking that the light will soon go on. Nope, run up the middle for a loss to end the game. Nice

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Keep losing for a few more years and watch what happens.
Again…have lost it consistently. Our recruiting classes haven’t been better. People are just bent out of shape because they can’t puff their chest at all those they see wearing black and yellow. A week from now this game is the same as if we had lost to UNI and beat Iowa. It just really doesn’t matter as much as some fans make it out to.

• Optimistic
Reactions: NWICY

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Keep losing for a few more years and watch what happens.
Iowa State has lost 7 of the last 8 meetings vs Iowa. KF lost his first 4 vs Iowa State, including 2002 where Iowa State gave them their lone regular season loss.

Yep, I bet Iowa fans thought the 2002 season was a complete failure for the program. A team can still be successful even when losing a rivalry game.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
They definitely thought they were being smart by running. "Iowa will never expect this!" 100% guaranteed but they saw it from 100 miles away. Especially the last quarter was horrible play calling. We got lucky with that TD too. Awesome catch but 8 times out of 10 that's dropped.

Honestly this was Campbell's plan. Score, then do a 3 and out with 2 minutes left and somehow score again. Even though the offense couldn't get going all game.
Sounds reasonable. :D

It's not even funny any more.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Iowa State has lost 7 of the last 8 meetings vs Iowa. KF lost his first 4 vs Iowa State, including 2002 where Iowa State gave them their lone regular season loss.

Yep, I bet Iowa fans thought the 2002 season was a complete failure for the program. A team can still be successful even when losing a rivalry game.
Ya don’t say? Only problem is, we look exactly the same as last years team that finished 4-8. Can move the ball at times, but totally inept in the red zone and the same mental mistakes, turnovers, and special teams mistakes. Why should I believe it’s going to magically get better?

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Ya don’t say? Only problem is, we look exactly the same as last years team that finished 4-8. Can move the ball at times, but totally inept in the red zone and the same mental mistakes, turnovers, and special teams mistakes. Why should I believe it’s going to magically get better?
Because this year has a freshman QB, freshman RB, freshman TE. Those players will get better as the season progresses.

I get it. Iowa State lost to Iowa again. Some fans are upset it happened again. But when you sit back and look back at the game, we were VERY young at the skilled positions facing a top 5 ranked defense. Did they make mistakes? Of course. I expected them to make a few mistakes. Dropped passes and a poor throw directly led to the loss today. Those things can be cleaned up easily.

Am I ready to throw in the towel yet? No. The team fought to the end. I would feel differently if the team was completely lifeless. But this squad has fight in them. I will support the team so long as they give 100% each play.