*** Official ISU-ut VB game day thread ***

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Just think we are a tall outside hitter short for these big matches.Says a lot about our size(or lack there of) when Texas can get balls down over the top of our block.

I really thought Hannah Willms was going to be a more explosive player. High jump record holder ect. I know she is young but just doesn't have the spring off the floor I expected. She was blocked a lot today.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
I really thought Hannah Willms was going to be a more explosive player. High jump record holder ect. I know she is young but just doesn't have the spring off the floor I expected. She was blocked a lot today.

Maybe bad day, as she was Big 12 Award winner last week (can't remember Freshman or Newcomer).

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Can someone give me a backstory on the girl from Waterloo that plays for Texas? Did she get recruited hard by them, always want to go there, or did we pass on her? How does a player like that get out of the state?

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

Staff thinks she is just beginning her development and has a tremendous upside.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Can someone give me a backstory on the girl from Waterloo that plays for Texas? Did she get recruited hard by them, always want to go there, or did we pass on her? How does a player like that get out of the state?

Eckerman is the best high school VB player to ever come from Iowa - made the US national team - and yes, ISU recruited her hard. All of the national VB powers did.
Intially, she was thought to be a Penn State lean until the PSU assistant who was recruiting her, Salima Rockwell, took the same job at Texas. Then she signed with Texas.
It's telling that CJL said after the match yesterday, "we need state of Iowa players to play at Iowa State."

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Staff thinks she is just beginning her development and has a tremendous upside.

Willms has been playing great. Both she and Carly had trouble finishing vs. Texas. While their errors appeared unforced sometimes, certainly Texas was a presence and affected them. Willms is going to be almost unstoppable with a little more experience and timing.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Eckerman is the best high school VB player to ever come from Iowa - made the US national team - and yes, ISU recruited her hard. All of the national VB powers did.
Intially, she was thought to be a Penn State lean until the PSU assistant who was recruiting her, Salima Rockwell, took the same job at Texas. Then she signed with Texas.
It's telling that CJL said after the match yesterday, "we need state of Iowa players to play at Iowa State."

Yes, and the coach's strategy--a good one, I think-- was to invite 1,000 young female vb players to attend the game. Nothing like involving potential recruits early on; that is one way to create a culture of support.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

Nancy Meendering Metcalfe might disagree with you. Played at Western Christian (Hull).

Nancy Metcalf | Athletes | USA Volleyball

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Eckerman to Texas is like Taylor Greenfield to Stanford or Kiah Stokes to UConn. A chance to play for a top flight program with consistent opportunities for Final Fours, if not a national championship, won out over being a home state hero.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Eckerman to Texas is like Taylor Greenfield to Stanford or Kiah Stokes to UConn. A chance to play for a top flight program with consistent opportunities for Final Fours, if not a national championship, won out over being a home state hero.

Eckerman was a big-time diva on the club circuit while in HS with numerous personal issues to boot. For her own sake (although bad for ISU), it was probably best that she leave the state in order to max out her considerable talents.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley

She was really off, and I was down on her immediately after/during. In her defense, I think some of that was setting, also. I'm not sure she's getting the ball where she wants it, or in relation to the net. We seem to really sell out and telegraph where that is coming from sometimes, and the block really had time to get there.

You look back and see the UNI match and Straube didn't play well, and I think coach mentioned later about some knee issues or soreness. Didn't know it at the time. Who knows, maybe players get dinged up and we never know.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron