***Official ISU vs Baylor Game Thread***

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
It's not the first time Kim has insulted Bill and our team. After the Big 12 tourney loss to Baylor when Heather and Co. were seniors Kim told Bill in the handshake line that he does a good job with those girls (meaning slow and nonathletic) you recruit. Kim is nothing but garbage and dresses the part too.

I thought the way Mulkey managed the game last night was classless, too, but aren't you inferring an awful lot in this quote?

It was a risky move, too. What if Griner had twisted her ankle? That team is a bubble team w/o Griner.

Porteroso

Mar 16, 2012
Hello ISU. Thank you for the game! I thought it was impressive that you almost outscored us in the second half, and no team has done that in years. As it is with most people that Baylor plays, you let us get a large early lead before they get your gamefaces on and start executing your gameplan. I'm slightly disappointed with some of the responses, but I can only imagine what alot of NBA fans said after they played Jordan back in the day. Haters gon hate.

The one thing I'd like to say is about Mulkey. I know she's gotten a slightly bad reputation around the Big 12, but that mostly coincided with the appearance of Griner. Mulkey, in person, is a fantastic lady. She is very dedicated, and I would have to describe her as a polite but dominant force. There's a reason that our Lady Bears are a good team, a reason we play hard on defense, whether Griner is in or out.

I can only hope that once Griner is gone, some of you won't have to resort to pathetic grade school insults to make yourselves feel better. If you ever think twice about the trash some of you have thrown around here, don't feel bad, just be a better person, please. It's embarrassing to visit a gamethread of a school I like, and find it full of drivel and mud. But again, thanks for the hard-fought game, and we all wish you best in the NCAA tournament.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I disagree. A coach can choose to intentionally take a shot clock violation at the end of a blow out, but it should never be the expectation.

Maybe not an expectation in a general sense. But a courtesy that you extend when there is mutual respect. Take any situation in life when people show respect for one another. The best instances are not expected, but done simply because you are good person who finds satisfaction in treating others the way you would like yourself (or your kids, or your parents, family, friends, or anyone you care about) to be treated.

Mulkey had the perfect opportunity to show a little respect for an ISU program that has always shown respect to them, even when getting walloped in recent years. To show respect to a league that is trying to maintain or gain some national respect with (mis)perceptions of league strength due in part to her team's dominance.

Holding the ball for one shot clock would have been a small gesture with no harm to them, and she couldn't even do that. Even more unfortunate given the faith-based orientation of the school. What kind of lesson is that to your players.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I can only hope that once Griner is gone, some of you won't have to resort to pathetic grade school insults to make yourselves feel better. If you ever think twice about the trash some of you have thrown around here, don't feel bad, just be a better person, please.

You need to attend a Baylor football game wearing an opposing school Jersey and report back the type of skid-row insults you endure. Hands down - you got the worst fan base in the B12

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm just fearful that she will hire another AAU coach just to get that 6'8" girl in Texas and we will be right back where we are today.

Just want to clarify my "like" of your post really means I do not like the probablility that she will do just that. The AAU folks will get their payday. They are not only corrupting college athletics but ruining the game by usurping HS sports. Mulkey has bought a legacy by buying influence with the recruting of Griner and even without additional buying or dealing unethically she may still get the next Texas gal. And, just to be clear, screw any Baylor fans that wants to weigh in on this.

:mad:

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
If the shot clock is still running, I think it is every bit as unsportsmanlike to just let it run out and hand the other team the ball. It looks completely ridiculous to do that. Once the shot clock is off and you're into the last possession, I think you always just run it out if you have the chance, but if it is still running you have to shoot. Can't fault Baylor on that one.

Why Griner's elbow up around head level wasn't reviewed on tape, I'll never understand. The officials have been given fairly strict guidelines to NOT allow elbows like that. They've stopped a lot of games this year for less flagrant elbows.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Hello ISU. Thank you for the game! I thought it was impressive that you almost outscored us in the second half, and no team has done that in years. As it is with most people that Baylor plays, you let us get a large early lead before they get your gamefaces on and start executing your gameplan. I'm slightly disappointed with some of the responses, but I can only imagine what alot of NBA fans said after they played Jordan back in the day. Haters gon hate.

The one thing I'd like to say is about Mulkey. I know she's gotten a slightly bad reputation around the Big 12, but that mostly coincided with the appearance of Griner. Mulkey, in person, is a fantastic lady. She is very dedicated, and I would have to describe her as a polite but dominant force. There's a reason that our Lady Bears are a good team, a reason we play hard on defense, whether Griner is in or out.

I can only hope that once Griner is gone, some of you won't have to resort to pathetic grade school insults to make yourselves feel better. If you ever think twice about the trash some of you have thrown around here, don't feel bad, just be a better person, please. It's embarrassing to visit a gamethread of a school I like, and find it full of drivel and mud. But again, thanks for the hard-fought game, and we all wish you best in the NCAA tournament.

The fact that your own conference members are against BU in post season play ... Should tell you everything. BU as a Baptist school is embarrassing. Have fun polishing that Big XII trophy that Mulkey doesn't respect or care about.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
The fact that your own conference members are against BU in post season play ... Should tell you everything. BU as a Baptist school is embarrassing. Have fun polishing that Big XII trophy that Mulkey doesn't respect or care about.
I think someone should qualify that as Southern Baptist. There are great historical differences between the two largest Baptist denominations and the fact that the Southern Baptist still hold onto the title Southern speaks volumes. There is only one reason they came by that name in the first place. Also the fact that they didn't even apologize for their support of slavery until 1995 speaks volumes. I remember that day, and I wondered, is it possible there is a major denomination waited this long, to apologize for such a horrendous sin, is that even possible? This doesn't reflect at all on the American Baptists, or the North American Baptists.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think when she plowed over Pop we only had six points but that lasted quite a while. i could only watch periodically after that.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
recorded a rebroadcast because I missed the foul and technical. Just saw it and wow if I was Bill would gotten ejected on that.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
recorded a rebroadcast because I missed the foul and technical. Just saw it and wow if I was Bill would gotten ejected on that.
Bill was trying to get ejected there, his assistant coaches stopped him. He is a gentlemen too, and when ladies tell him not to get ejected, he respects that.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
He said he didn't feel like talking, shook hands and walked past. I can't blame him. There was no reason to be his normal friendly self after that game. She may have seen it as a slight, based on past exchanges with Bill, but I don't believe Bill meant it that way. It would be interesting to see how Mulkey treated the ISU seniors. I imagine they weren't feeling all huggy.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
He said he didn't feel like talking, shook hands and walked past. I can't blame him. There was no reason to be his normal friendly self after that game. She may have seen it as a slight, based on past exchanges with Bill, but I don't believe Bill meant it that way. It would be interesting to see how Mulkey treated the ISU seniors. I imagine they weren't feeling all huggy.

Yep ... Bill really wanted to chit chat ... Yep. He sure did.