***Official ISU vs. KSU Game Thread***

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
We had a chance just couldn't pull it out. Third time was really the charm. This was also the third game in the conference tournament and the first win. It was great to see them scrap to get back into the game. They got that late steal. We just couldn't get a good look at the end.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Terrible job by the coaching staff! No effort to try and get the ball to Bolte off screens. A lot of just standing around by Bolte in the corner.

R1975P

Aug 17, 2009
Irvington
I have not seen them play this year. The Cyclones look slow? And no zone D, was that because they were behind late?

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
Terrible job by the coaching staff! No effort to try and get the ball to Bolte off screens. A lot of just standing around by Bolte in the corner.

Seriously!! I guess you didn't see Kelsey running off all of the screens most of the game and Karr or Hill face guarding her all game.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

It would help if somebody else on the team could score consistently. ISU misses so many inside looks.

ISU just does not have enough physical strength across the lineup to be a Big 12 contender, particularly in the interior. I hope somehow Prins can get to the next level over the summer.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
billy needs to find two more ladies that r a bolte clone.anyone have any of bolte's stem cells.if you do we can start cloning bolte's stem cells for the cyclone ladies 18-19 years from now......
everyone start telling coach fenelly to recruit peyton little from abilene texas.she is only a junior,but she averages about 36-38 pts/game and this lady can shoot threes!!!!!!

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
hard to beat a good team 3 times in a season.

tired of people blaming our post game. For sophomores and a freshmen, they are one of the best in this league. There is only upside to them.

when our outside guards don't take 3s, the defense sags on Prins and Pop and tie them up.

I guess you can't fault their defense too much either when Childs is hitting 10 ft hook shots. And they had 18 of our 25 rebounds.

Furthermore, our 4/5 positions had 29 of our 53 points. That means out of the 3 guard positions, we scored 24.

I know we like Chaz's defense, and ball handling, but she isn't the best assist person. She's too tentative, and there were a lot of times in this game, Bolte and Pop were open for easy shots, but just didn't get the ball. Debbie Antonelli, "that skip pass that ISU is so known for, just isn't happening." There's a whole lot of dribbling, and not much passing going on which drives me nuts. And I hate those hand off passes at the top of the key.

If anything today, I would have liked to see us go to a line-up with Prins, Hallie, Pop, Bolte, and Loz, but Z being out, eliminated that option.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
tired of people blaming our post game. For sophomores and a freshmen, they are one of the best in this league. There is only upside to them.

The bottom line is that the post game isn't where it needs to be for ISU to be a Big 12 title contender. And the post game isn't where it needs to be because ISU is playing sophomores and freshmen instead of juniors and seniors. And that is not the fault of the players...

Last edited:

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I agree Twistedredbird. The skip pass isn't happening anymore because we don't have a confident 6-foot point guard anymore. This was a very frustrating end to the season. If we win one or two games in the NCAAs I will be pleasantly surprised, but I fully expect us to lose in the first round at this point. The offense is a real grind to watch. I hate the hand-off passes on the perimeter that seem to do nothing except burn time.

Although, to play the other side of the coin, the reason we can't run our offense against a school like K-State is because they know it inside and out, by heart, and can defend against it very well because they play against it 3 times a year. When we get into the NCAAs against a team that has never had to play our 101 offensive sets before, we will find our key players wide open more often. I think that is why we have out-performed expectations in the NCAAs in the past, because Fennelley's offensive sets are difficult to defend if you've never seen them before. Debbie Antonelli also said that "Fennelly has a list of offensive sets on the bench that's as thick as a phone book."

Which means, to succeed in the Big 12 and win titles like we did in 2000, we need to have teams that can surpass the opposing defense and score easily anyway. Let's hope the 4 recruits coming in next year can add something to the mix. We kind of have no choice -- it will be sink or swim next year playing round-robin in the Big 12-now-10.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Saw this one coming a mile away. 8 seed here we come. That's probably generous for this team as well.

Same story most every year ... lack of athleticism to create our own shots keeps ISU from getting over the hump year after year after year.

I'm happy with 22 wins out of this group because I'm not sure they are that good of a team.

Bill needs to find a couple difference makers pretty fast or the challenge to score is just going to get more painful that it already is.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
The bottom line is that the post game isn't where it needs to be for ISU to be a Big 12 title contender. And the post game isn't where it needs to be because ISU is playing sophomores and freshmen instead of juniors and seniors. And that is not the fault of the players...

Our post game is way closer to being where it needs to be than our perimeter game.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I agree Twistedredbird. The skip pass isn't happening anymore because we don't have a confident 6-foot point guard anymore. This was a very frustrating end to the season. If we win one or two games in the NCAAs I will be pleasantly surprised, but I fully expect us to lose in the first round at this point. The offense is a real grind to watch. I hate the hand-off passes on the perimeter that seem to do nothing except burn time.

Although, to play the other side of the coin, the reason we can't run our offense against a school like K-State is because they know it inside and out, by heart, and can defend against it very well because they play against it 3 times a year. When we get into the NCAAs against a team that has never had to play our 101 offensive sets before, we will find our key players wide open more often. I think that is why we have out-performed expectations in the NCAAs in the past, because Fennelley's offensive sets are difficult to defend if you've never seen them before. Debbie Antonelli also said that "Fennelly has a list of offensive sets on the bench that's as thick as a phone book."

Which means, to succeed in the Big 12 and win titles like we did in 2000, we need to have teams that can surpass the opposing defense and score easily anyway. Let's hope the 4 recruits coming in next year can add something to the mix. We kind of have no choice -- it will be sink or swim next year playing round-robin in the Big 12-now-10.

I agree that this team will be better playing out of conference than in conference. Its near impossible to beat a good team that is relatively equal to you 3 times in the same year. It also didn't help that our fans were divided and KSU's wasn't.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Our post game is way closer to being where it needs to be than our perimeter game.

I can't really disagree. I am more of an inside player, so I tend to focus more on that aspect of the game.

Nothing is where it needs to be. I guess we have to hope that player improvements and new recruits get things where they need to be.

Last edited:

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I agree that this team will be better playing out of conference than in conference. Its near impossible to beat a good team that is relatively equal to you 3 times in the same year. It also didn't help that our fans were divided and KSU's wasn't.

Our fans may have been divided, but we still clearly out-numbered KSU. Who's the lady on the KSU bench trying to carry a hipper version of Deb P's do?:

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO

Last year we had three freshmen posts and Gen Lightbourne pretending to be one on occasion, and we finished second. Hallie pretty much came in and beat two of them out. We finished fifth in a very tough conference. If we had Griner or Adams or the Paris twins, we might be better in the post and be more competitive.

Our inability to score in multiple ways on the perimeter is where the problem lies. When Jess, Pop, and Chas are in the game at the same time we have at most two outside threats and one of them is a post player. Did you see the looks they gave Chas and Jess that they passed up? Kelsey Harris and Z can be perimeter threats, buy apparently the defense isn't there with them to play a lot. Hopefully a couple of those coming in next year can step up right away.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
Do you guys think because of this loss, we'll move down to a 8 seed or stay a 7?

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
As they say, "just back from the game." Two things stood out to me - The scheme, I think, was to shut down their 3 pt attack and that was effective. But, after 28 seconds of good defense, somehow there was a lapse and an open look inside by a guard. KSU had 36 points in the paint, many of those were short floaters by guards. We need to figure out a way to stop that or to do that. The other has already been mentioned - the the tenative ball distribution - we don't recognize and get the ball to the open shooter - be that inside or out and too often settle for a less than ideal shot late in the time clock. We also missed some shots we ought to have made and they had some shooter's luck, but, in a three point loss, there are lots of possible game changers. As for our seed, I don't think it will be changed by this loss, nor will it matter. We are not a top 25 team, so a 7-8 is about right. We'll likely win the first game because we have the talent, time and coaching to get healthy and ready. After that it will take a game like the KU second half to move on.

I have to add a comment about Christofferson. 18 pts in 23 minutes and she had 3 of our seven threes.

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Saw this one coming a mile away. 8 seed here we come. That's probably generous for this team as well.

Same story most every year ... lack of athleticism to create our own shots keeps ISU from getting over the hump year after year after year.

I'm happy with 22 wins out of this group because I'm not sure they are that good of a team.

Bill needs to find a couple difference makers pretty fast or the challenge to score is just going to get more painful that it already is.

And just where do you coach your Div one team? If you think we do not have players who are athletic you know nothing about basketball. Just got back from my 8th tourney game here in KC and I would take our group every time. Turn in your season tickets as we do not need fans who can only complain about our team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron