***Official ISU vs Texas Meltdown Thread***

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
OMG, @t-noah I am so sorry, I just realized how much posts that had nothing to do with you had an impact on you. If I would have known how sensitive you were to things that had nothing to do with you, I wouldn't have posted anything on this site ever.
Kindness is a virture. You might consider it.

Reactions: CaptainCamoBeer

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
1-8 in our last 9 games decided by a single score or less.
Gotta be worst in the nation.
Think it a an old adage that in close games most times the difference is in...the coaching. We are heavy towards one end, so this indicates something, no?

Our offense opened up in the 2nd half out of necessity because we were behind. I'd rather our basic philosophy be that way from the start. 1st half was pretty blah. 2 good drives with one ended by an interception. He stared down that receiver & this is a trend of his & this was similar with his predecessor. Texas made better plays in the red zone. I also recall Purdy's 'development' as a QB was pretty 'meh'. Not saying he wasn't our best (he's our best ever), but it's questionable how much growth he had over his career & how much better he was at the end versus the beginning. Does this sound like good coaching/teaching?

Think we may be tipping our running plays, otherwise our execution just plain sucks on too many of those. Much like how other teams had our snap counts timed down to beat our asses on the snap the past 2+ seasons (OU & WVU especially). RPOs & downfield passed were few & far between in the 1st half (& in too long of stretches of the previous games), yet we busted them out 2nd half & magically our offense & Dekkers looks better. That appears to be a strength of his, so why not utilize more often?

Combine this with bad special teams, poor clock management & extremely iffy play calling out of timeouts & yes, this falls on coaching.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
To be honest, I started quite a few shitposting threads criticizing the offensive staff. Today's game showed they were willing to change. That first touchdown drive for us was a thing of beauty. We were moving it down the field with ease.

In the end, today's game came down to our running backs not being healthy and our offensive line not being able to get any push off the ball.
---- In fact I think I remember that our offensive line graded last in the B12 for run blocking, which isn't surprising.
Bijan is a great running back, but did you see the holes their offensive line made for him and his backup? it was a thing of beauty. They didn't meet contact until 3 yards from the line of scrimmage on almost every run.

I'm happy we changed and noticed Matt got involved with the offense quite a bit more on the sideline.
And THAT is the only thing that makes this loss bearable. I was expecting a loss going into the game as I'm sure all of you were and we played very well.

Remember this is a college football team, kids drop passes and make mistakes.

I'm proud of the fight we had and the rebound our offense had from the past 3 terrible games.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Tyrese has revealed himself to be a little *****. I hope he gets shut down.
Curious, did he go to the coaches with a specific demand for money, and they laughed at him?

I just wonder how ISU was the bad guy, after making him a freshman starter with some great national visibility?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Figured a lot more of it out.

1: We appear to still be tipping run plays, and possibly snap count issues.
2: Teams have figured out Campbell Ball: Simply do it better with fewer turnovers.
CMC appears very risk averse. "Winning in the margins" is just a football term for the
old corporate philosophy of Six Sigma, where you eliminate errors.
3: Holding everything else equal, if two teams have comparable coaching, difference will come down to athletes and risk. Well, we know where we are with recruiting. And we've seen the opponents unafraid to gamble because ISU won't make them pay. The fake punt by Texas should have worked two years ago, took an outstanding play by a walk-on? to stop it by himself.
4: Teams have figured out all you have to do is be patient against ISU, and eventually it will work out. especially with
5: Biased Big12 officiating means losses in close games. Those huge calls, or no calls, that typically happen at least once a game against ISU means Campbell Ball cannot work anymore. Even officiating would put ISU at .500 in the close games, but we aren't anymore. And that's why
6: Campbell is showing the emotion he did, especially at the mouthy Texas player(s). And in press conferences. Imagine having a job where you cannot even mention one of the biggest problems you face that is completely out of your control. I'd be pissed too.
7: Staff have way more film than we do, plus I am sure CMC has gotten sick of the usual BS from the league office. CMC has figured out he is in the conference with the most favorite friendly officiating in the country. See the SEC today? They let Alabama lose. They know it works itself out.
8: Big12 has been all about protecting and favoring Texas/OU in football and KU in basketball. I hate this conference.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Curious, did he go to the coaches with a specific demand for money, and they laughed at him?

I just wonder how ISU was the bad guy, after making him a freshman starter with some great national visibility?
Technically coaches can't do anything about that. Yes I know, I know...

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
To be honest, I started quite a few shitposting threads criticizing the offensive staff. Today's game showed they were willing to change. That first touchdown drive for us was a thing of beauty. We were moving it down the field with ease.

In the end, today's game came down to our running backs not being healthy and our offensive line not being able to get any push off the ball.
---- In fact I think I remember that our offensive line graded last in the B12 for run blocking, which isn't surprising.
Bijan is a great running back, but did you see the holes their offensive line made for him and his backup? it was a thing of beauty. They didn't meet contact until 3 yards from the line of scrimmage on almost every run.

I'm happy we changed and noticed Matt got involved with the offense quite a bit more on the sideline.
And THAT is the only thing that makes this loss bearable. I was expecting a loss going into the game as I'm sure all of you were and we played very well.

Remember this is a college football team, kids drop passes and make mistakes.

I'm proud of the fight we had and the rebound our offense had from the past 3 terrible games.
Manning and the rest of the staff basically did everything I hoped they would. Not saying there isn’t still room for growth (obviously), but most of the loss was just on young players learning how to execute/win, a pretty good Texas team…and maybe a little on the refs. Hate to lose, but I love the progress.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I get the idea that the refs are protecting the QB's, what bothers me is that they called roughing the passer against ISU, and then do not call a blow to the head by the UT defense when it happens to Dekker. Either call it both ways or let it go for both, but calling it for one team and not the other is BS.

For a team that is trying to "win in the margins" we do a horrible job on special teams and the little things that it takes to win in that margin. Another blocked punt, even if it did not cost us points, it cost us field position. Another missed field goal, plenty of leg, wide left. Few of our kickoffs are reaching the endzone, and for some reason we have trouble covering those that are short.

The offense looked better today, why, because we were throwing the ball down the field, forcing the DBacks to actually play the deep pass. I said last week, we need to run Dekkers more, it opens up the field, he did a good job today, but just not enough. I saw highlights of the Ol Miss game, their QB tucks the ball like a run, takes a step forward and then bounced back and hit a wide-open receiver. Dekkers could be great at plays like that, but we have to run him more.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
5: Biased Big12 officiating means losses in close games. Those huge calls, or no calls, that typically happen at least once a game against ISU means Campbell Ball cannot work anymore. Even officiating would put ISU at .500 in the close games, but we aren't anymore. And that's why
6: Campbell is showing the emotion he did, especially at the mouthy Texas player(s). And in press conferences. Imagine having a job where you cannot even mention one of the biggest problems you face that is completely out of your control. I'd be pissed too.
7: Staff have way more film than we do, plus I am sure CMC has gotten sick of the usual BS from the league office. CMC has figured out he is in the conference with the most favorite friendly officiating in the country. See the SEC today? They let Alabama lose. They know it works itself out.
8: Big12 has been all about protecting and favoring Texas/OU in football and KU in basketball. I hate this conference.
Are you saying that some things in life are not what they appear?

Rhetorical

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I am not going back to read thru 16 pages of **** post, but did anyone bring up the fact that Hunter should have slid on the game deciding scramble/fumble/ targeting no call? I can't think of a time he has slid on a scramble or designed run. Is this something he is still working on to add to his game? Seems like he either takes the hit or runs out of bounds, which is maybe why we haven't seen a whole lot of designed QB runs or willingness to run by Dekkers until today.

CaptainCamoBeer

Jan 24, 2007
Did you watch the game? Dude was clutch on 3rd and long.
It’s clear the answer is no. The amount that X has been targeted and caught the ball already is crazy. Drops are going to happen and the timing sucks. The postgame be X tells you he gets it and is his own worst critic

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I am not going back to read thru 16 pages of **** post, but did anyone bring up the fact that Hunter should have slid on the game deciding scramble/fumble/ targeting no call? I can't think of a time he has slid on a scramble or designed run. Is this something he is still working on to add to his game? Seems like he either takes the hit or runs out of bounds, which is maybe why we haven't seen a whole lot of designed QB runs or willingness to run by Dekkers until today.
It is tough to slide in all that traffic, but to your point we haven’t really seen him slide at all. I do think he was trying to get down when he took the big hit. He wasn’t trying to truck the guy like Texas fans would have you believe. If it would have been Ewers, they would have ruled he had given himself up at that point and threw the flag for unnecessary roughness and then added the targeting penalty in review.

Last edited:

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Can anyone provide the justification for the roughing the passer on us? Was it the fact that the hit came too long after the throw or were we supposed to let up and not go to the ground with him?

I re-watched that a few times and I can't figure it out. It definitely was bang bang and you couldn't let up or not go to the ground once you commit to going after the ball.

I am pretty sure there are some folks on here that can explain why that was a good call and that 15 extra yards was totally justified and that we just have to be better to not get these obvious calls.

That 15 yards didn't give them the touchdown or win them the game. But, it sure as hell didn't hurt their odds.

Anyone?

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Much like the refs he might have made a couple mistakes.
FIFY. But you can't expect perfection from them, right?

However, your team has to play perfect with no mistakes to deserve a win, but officials can **** up major points of the game and its ALSO your fault.

Give me a freekin' break.

(Aimed at ref apologists, not you jsb)