NBA: ***Official NBA Offseason Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The season is over; the champs have been crowned. The draft is Thursday, and free agency starts soon.

The notable free agents for 2016 - Lebron, KD, Dwayne Wade, Mike Conley, Hassan Whiteside, and Al Horford. I'm thinking the first three stay put on short term deals. Everyone else is up in the air.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Harrison Barnes should do a decision like announcement and they can show the dejected fans of whichever team ends up forking over a max deal to him.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I didn't know Lebron is a free agent again. Now that he won Cleveland a title, does he leave again? Obviously the fans won't be hostile like they were last time.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, I think Harry's NBA status has dropped at least a whole level or more.

Very costly series for him.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I didn't know Lebron is a free agent again. Now that he won Cleveland a title, does he leave again? Obviously the fans won't be hostile like they were last time.
Nah, he's not going anywhere. Will do one or two more one year deals until the salary cap explosion a few seasons from now.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Yeah, I think Harry's NBA status has dropped at least a whole level or more.Very costly series for him.
If history is any indication, there are ALWAYS NBA owners out there willing to overpay.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Really hope KD stays in OKC for at least another year.

It makes the most sense for Durant to stay with Russ (in his contract year). There aren't many teams that are championship contender level roster like OKC unless he'd go to GS. Of course they were up 3-1 on GS already this year and could be better next. KD can sign a one year deal (with 1 year option) and become a free agent next year and get an even higher per year salary for his last major long term contract. The max contracts are based on % of the cap and it jumps considerably the next two years. Also he just re-upped with Nike with a huge contract so injury concerns shouldn't much of a factor.
I expect Lebron to do the same thing since he is in a similar situation.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

He's not going anywhere, but he'll opt out of his current deal and negotiate another one year deal with a player option for a second year. That way he maximizes his earnings, keeps all the leverage, and controls where he wants to play and who he plays with. He has the Cavs by the balls. What are they going to do, let him walk?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It makes the most sense for Durant to stay with Russ (in his contract year). There aren't many teams that are championship contender level roster like OKC unless he'd go to GS. Of course they were up 3-1 on GS already this year and could be better next. KD can sign a one year deal (with 1 year option) and become a free agent next year and get an even higher per year salary for his last major long term contract. The max contracts are based on % of the cap and it jumps considerably the next two years. Also he just re-upped with Nike with a huge contract so injury concerns shouldn't much of a factor.
I expect Lebron to do the same thing since he is in a similar situation.

He's going to have plenty of suitors, but I think KD will ultimately do a one year deal with a player option for a second year. It's his best financial option plus it gives him at least one more crack at a title with OKC. After next year he can become a free agent along with Westbrook, and they can either both re-up or leave town. I don't know if there will be another team in the league with more pressure to win a title than the Thunder next season.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
The draft is gonna be interesting. Not a particularly deep draft but there are some fun pieces.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
He's not going anywhere, but he'll opt out of his current deal and negotiate another one year deal with a player option for a second year. That way he maximizes his earnings, keeps all the leverage, and controls where he wants to play and who he plays with. He has the Cavs by the balls. What are they going to do, let him walk?

my guess is he does that this year, but then next year signs a long term deal with the new enormous cap

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Hoping bulls pick up griffin or paul. Thinking were not gonna have butler returning, probably trading butler or rose or maybe both

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
The season is over; the champs have been crowned. The draft is Thursday, and free agency starts soon.

The notable free agents for 2016 - Lebron, KD, Dwayne Wade, Mike Conley, Hassan Whiteside, and Al Horford. I'm thinking the first three stay put on short term deals. Everyone else is up in the air.

I'm not sure how you didn't list Demar DeRozan in the notable free agents.

Locking down DeRozan long term and finding a decent stretch four option through the draft or trade will be the Raptors big musts. Millsap is on my wish list but I don't see that happening

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I'm not sure how you didn't list Demar DeRozan in the notable free agents.

Locking down DeRozan long term and finding a decent stretch four option through the draft or trade will be the Raptors big musts. Millsap is on my wish list but I don't see that happening

what do you think about Biyombo?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think there will be a zillion trades on draft day. Boston isn't drafting 8 players.

Yeah, there will be a lot of movement. There's a decent chance that the third and fourth overall picks could both change hands. The Celtics at three are going to have to make a big move sooner or later, and the Suns are supposedly looking to move out of the fourth pick. And I guess if there's any truth to the Jimmy Butler to Minnesota chatter, then the fifth pick could be in play too. Should make for an interesting night.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron