***Official NBA Playoffs Thread***

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Isn't anyone else watching the Wiz/Celts OT.

Thomas is a killer. Wash looks tired settling for outside shots, all ending up short.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
The fourth was a little sloppy for Boston, but Isaiah really turned it up. The Celtics didn't take their foot of the gas in OT. That's two in a row where the Wizards had a decent lead on the road but couldn't close them out.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I don't understand how IT4 gets so many uncontested lay-ups in the half court. I understand they set screens until they get a mismatch like Gortat but still. If you have a team with a good perimeter defending big man and another big man playing help defense at the rim Boston is pretty beatable. Heck they don't even have to be that big to defend IT4. John Wall towers over him.

I'm excited for the inevitable Boston/Cleveland series next round.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I don't understand how IT4 gets so many uncontested lay-ups in the half court. I understand they set screens until they get a mismatch like Gortat but still. If you have a team with a good perimeter defending big man and another big man playing help defense at the rim Boston is pretty beatable. Heck they don't even have to be that big to defend IT4. John Wall towers over him.

Because Isiah Thomas carries the ball on every move.

Reactions: tim_redd

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I don't think that's a lock yet. All Boston did was hold serve at home. The Wizards are legit. I wouldn't be surprised to see that series go seven.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Lebron is averaging 33 ppg 9.8 rpg 8 apg 2.6 spg in the playoffs....

Things that LeBron can do Jordan couldn't do. Guard all 5 positions, get his teammates involved, be a good person in the locker room by not punching his teammates, deal with all the heat that comes at him in the social media, dominate against other athletic guys- just not a bunch of short white guys, make it to the Finals EVERY YEAR. LeBron is also much more athletic than Jordan. There was this fake perception LeBron wasn't clutch, well I'm here to tell you his clutch numbers have now surpassed Jordan. There is also another fake perception that Jordan never missed any clutch shots. He missed a lot of them. Once LeBron beats Golden State in about a month for his 4th ring, he will be looked at by me and many others as the greatest of all time. What he has done in the finals since that Mavs series trumps what Jordan ever did. Beating a 73 win team, beating that same team that added Kevin Durant the next year, and beating a Spurs dynasty. Who did Jordan beat, the Jazz with Hornacek and Stockton guarding him lol? And that choke artist Malone. He beat a Sonics team that was a 1 year wonder and was pretty worthless beyond that year. A washed up Magic? That 'juggernaut' Blazers team. And overrated Barkley who always choked under pressure lol. This is the best era of basketball ever with all the great athletes today. The players are faster and stronger then ever, and LeBron puts himself above any one player in the league.

I'm guessing neither of you were around for Jordan (I know BDK wasn't). LeBron is definitely great and will have a claim to be the best ever. @DaHiltonHaus1 sounds ridiculous with his reasons though.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Lebron is averaging 33 ppg 9.8 rpg 8 apg 2.6 spg in the playoffs....

Things that LeBron can do Jordan couldn't do. Guard all 5 positions, get his teammates involved, be a good person in the locker room by not punching his teammates, deal with all the heat that comes at him in the social media, dominate against other athletic guys- just not a bunch of short white guys, make it to the Finals EVERY YEAR. LeBron is also much more athletic than Jordan. There was this fake perception LeBron wasn't clutch, well I'm here to tell you his clutch numbers have now surpassed Jordan. There is also another fake perception that Jordan never missed any clutch shots. He missed a lot of them. Once LeBron beats Golden State in about a month for his 4th ring, he will be looked at by me and many others as the greatest of all time. What he has done in the finals since that Mavs series trumps what Jordan ever did. Beating a 73 win team, beating that same team that added Kevin Durant the next year, and beating a Spurs dynasty. Who did Jordan beat, the Jazz with Hornacek and Stockton guarding him lol? And that choke artist Malone. He beat a Sonics team that was a 1 year wonder and was pretty worthless beyond that year. A washed up Magic? That 'juggernaut' Blazers team. And overrated Barkley who always choked under pressure lol. This is the best era of basketball ever with all the great athletes today. The players are faster and stronger then ever, and LeBron puts himself above any one player in the league.

I'm guessing neither of you were around for Jordan (I know BDK wasn't). LeBron is definitely great and will have a claim to be the best ever. @DaHiltonHaus1 sounds ridiculous with his reasons though.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyballzz and jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

It's a shame their careers didn't overlap. It would have a been a lot of fun to see those two squaring off in a seven game series, and it would make for a better debate if they had played in the same era. But the mid 80's and early 90's were a totally different brand of basketball than what's being played now. Who knows what MJ could have done in a modern offense.

When I was a kid, I hated Michael Jordan; mostly because to any non Bulls fan there was something patently unfair about going up against him. You just couldn't beat the guy, and no matter what you knew that ultimately he was going to impose his will on the opponent in the biggest moments. I would guess that's how some people feel about Lebron now. He's great, and if he doesn't play for your team it just pisses you off.

They're both great. Right now I'd still take Jordan over Lebron, but just barely. By the time he's done, Lebron could overtake him. And that's another mystery - where is the end for Lebron? At 32 years old he just led the league in minutes played, and we're not seeing much of a decline in his play. It's possible he could play another five years easily if his body doesn't break down.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
I never watched Jordan so it's hard for me to call him the greatest. Everyone has their own opinion, IMO James is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

I love Lebron and to me he is one of the 3 best players of all time but comparing the paths through the playoffs is stupid.

Trashing the opponents that Jordan beat in the Finals seems pretty silly given the garbage that Lebron has to beat to win the East. Works both ways.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
I love Lebron and to me he is one of the 3 best players of all time but comparing the paths through the playoffs is stupid.

Trashing the opponents that Jordan beat in the Finals seems pretty silly given the garbage that Lebron has to beat to win the East. Works both ways.
Boston was well on their way to becoming a dynasty before LeBron beat them 2 years in a row to end that run. Jordan didn't beat any champions on his way to any of his finals besides Detroit's team when they were all washed up. Michael Jordan is Mitch Richmond, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson without Scottie Pippen. Just another showman without a ring, 0 rings without Scottie. Don't forget the Bulls had a very good record without Jordan in his baseball year, so that discredits anything you said about his 'tough way through the East'. Without him they were a rigged call away from going to the Eastern Conference Finals. And don't even try to convince me LeBron's career will end in a disaster like Jordan's did in Washington lol.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
MJ vs LeBron I give a slight edge to MJ. If LeBron beats the Warriors with 2 top 5 players and 4 of the top 20 players on the same team then I would move LeBron into MJ territory

• Informative
Reactions: DaHiltonHaus1

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Another goat like game for Lebron 10-14 fg 39 points 3 steals. Out of the 6 playoff game lebron has scored 30+ 5 times.....

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Boston was well on their way to becoming a dynasty before LeBron beat them 2 years in a row to end that run. Jordan didn't beat any champions on his way to any of his finals besides Detroit's team when they were all washed up. Michael Jordan is Mitch Richmond, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson without Scottie Pippen. Just another showman without a ring, 0 rings without Scottie. Don't forget the Bulls had a very good record without Jordan in his baseball year, so that discredits anything you said about his 'tough way through the East'. Without him they were a rigged call away from going to the Eastern Conference Finals. And don't even try to convince me LeBron's career will end in a disaster like Jordan's did in Washington lol.

Trashing the other guy's resume in a "who is the GOAT" conversation is a dead end. You could easily nitpick either player's resume.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyballzz

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

Did you literally just ding Jordan for beating a bunch of washed up players and turn around and laud Lebron for beating a 35 year old Ray Allen, a 33 year old Paul Pierce and a 34 year old Kevin Garnett? That is a special kind of bad argument.

Interesting take on Scottie though. I must have missed all the rings Scottie collected without Jordan...

Every great player still needs talent around them. Michael absolutely benefited from Scottie just like Scottie did with Michael. Lebron benefited with D-Wade when he was in Miami and Kyrie now back in Cleveland. Lets be honest... Lebron wasn't exactly raking in titles before playing with those guys.

I get you hate Jordan and that's fine but don't be an idiot... we are talking about 2 of the greatest players of all time (I'd argue they are 1-2 and who gives a **** about the order) and just because I think Jordan was great doesn't mean I think Lebron is trash.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
With Parker out, the race opens up for Houston in a much more favorable light.

I think the Spurs will be OK for this series with Patty Mills stepping in. What I'm more curious to see is who will take Mills' spot as the primary backup. Murray is talented but very raw. Manu is all but finished, but they're going to have to wring some decent minutes out of him.

It's looking more and more like we're going to get a third installment of the Cavs and Warriors in the Finals.