Official Selection Monday thread

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The big day is upon us. Lots has been said already on this board. Just hoping for a manageable match-up in the first two rounds so we can have hope of advancing. Right now we're probably going to be slated for Stanford, but maybe Creme won't be exactly correct. Nail biting until 6:00!

Last edited by a moderator:

chrishull14

Jan 31, 2007
Cyclone City
Re: Selection Monday thread (unofficial) -- Cyclones hope to avoid 8/9 seed!

I don't understand why Creme seems to always undervalue ISU. We are not as strong this year as some others, but we are a top 25 team in the best conference. I think we should be a 6 or 7, not an 8 or 9. If we are gonna drop that low...might as well just make us a 10 seed.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I don't understand why Creme seems to always undervalue ISU. We are not as strong this year as some others, but we are a top 25 team in the best conference. I think we should be a 6 or 7, not an 8 or 9. If we are gonna drop that low...might as well just make us a 10 seed.

We were a top 25 team based on our reputation alone for much of this year. You don't play the way we played down the stretch, including losing to Missouri and bowing out of the Big 12 Tournament early, and claim we're a top 25 team. Any hope at a 6 was gone when we lost to Mizzou, and, with our performance in the conference tourney, hoping for a 7 is exactly where we're at.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

We are no longer a top-25 team in either poll. Our RPI is 33 and we have no top-25 RPI wins. I think our RPI ranks us pretty accurately, and that puts us with an 8 or 9 seed.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

This is not a Top 25 team.

8/9 is likely and I'm not sure we deserve that

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA

I see us getting a 7 seed based on past brackets and how they respect major conference teams

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

Creme has ISU as a #8 seed, meaning it "ranks" somewhere in the #29 to #32 range. You really think you can make a case for that being too low?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

I posted this in a much earlier thread. Now that the seeds of other teams are falling into place and it's virtually certain we'll be a 7-10 seed, here are the possibilities:

NCAA subregion sites/possibilities

Host sites with teams not likely to make it:
---------------------------------------------------
Albuquerque (New Mexico)
Auburn (Auburn)
Charlottesville, VA (Virginia)
Wichita (Wichita State)

Host sites with teams likely to make it:
(City -- Host -- Likely host seed -- our seed if we go there)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Storrs, CT -- UConn -- 1 -- 8 or 9
Waco -- Baylor -- 1 -- will not be placed here
Knoxville -- Tennessee -- 1 -- 8 or 9
Durham -- Duke -- 1 or 2 -- 7 through 10
Palo Alto -- Stanford -- 1 or 2 -- 7 through 10
Cincinnati -- Xavier -- 2 or 3 -- 7 or 10
Columbus -- Ohio State -- 3 or 4 -- not likely
College Park, MD -- Maryland -- 3 through 5 -- not likely

University Park, PA -- Penn State -- 6 through 9 -- 8 through 10
Spokane -- Gonzaga -- 8 through 11 -- 8 or 9
Shreveport -- Louisiana Tech -- 8 through 11 -- 6 through 9
Salt Lake City (Utah) -- 12 through 14 -- not likely

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

People have to quit getting caught up on our RPI only. The committee looks at more than just RPI - they look at wins vs. the top 100, SOS, how you played in the last 10 games.

We are 33rd in the NCAA RPI
Record vs. top 100 teams: 10-9
SOS # 39
Last 10 games: 6-4

Some Comparison from the B12
Oklahoma
RPI - 20
Record vs top 100 11-10
Lost 10 games 4-6
SOS 9

K-State
RPI - 39
Record vs top 100 9-9
Last 10 games 5-5
SOS 39

If you want good detail, go to CollegeRPI.com - Women and check out the Gory Details information. Does a great job of breaking down some of the information the committee looks at in determining seeds.

Creme is usually pretty good at getting the right teams in, but his seeding is somewhat suspect after the top eight. Also, in the Women's Tourney they can bump seeds because of teams hosting. Example - in 2008, we were the 10 seed hosting in DSM, but got bumped to the seven seed as the host. As Kelsey Bolte said:

“People try to guess all the time where we’re going to go, but it’s never right,” Bolte said. “You might as well just wait for the real thing.”

Last edited:

cydney

Mar 14, 2011

Jerry Palm has ISU as a 7 seed in his final bracket.
CollegeRPI.com - Women

His 6-10 seeds seem to make more sense than Charlie Creme's. We'll see soon enough.

Creme might get too caught up in RPI.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

OU's record vs top 100 only looks similar to ours because they played twice as many games vs the RPI top 25 (10, going 2-8) than we did (5, going 0-5). That's why their RPI is so much better than ours and why they will get a better seed.

Example - in 2008, we were the 10 seed hosting in DSM, but got bumped to the seven seed as the host.

Are you sure about that? The selection committee doesn't currently have the authority to move a team more than one seed to make things work. That was one of the years there were only 8 subregionals, so things might have been different then.

Also, moving us from a 10 to a 7 wouldn't make a big difference since it wouldn't affect the other game (2 v 15). I know we were overseeded in 2008, but I thought we got bumped from an 8 to a 7.

Last edited:

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City

8 to 7 sounds right, mred.

Also, if this is the unofficial thread, then.....

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
They just had highlights of Iowa and Iowa State on the intro to the show. That's gotta be a good thing, right?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I'm still pessimistic and thinking 8 or 9. We're going to Connecticut, Tennessee, or Stanford.

UConn, Tennessee, Stanford, and Baylor were officially named the #1 seeds. No surprise, although Duke could have maybe squeaked in there.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Baylor and Texas A&M are 1 and 2 in Dallas. It looks weird, but makes sense since both are placed in their home state and wouldn't face until the regional final.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron