*** Official South Dakota State vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Chiz is was a very big hire at that point

And so was McDermott. People forget these things very conveniently. Chizik was HUGE, for Iowa State to get the Broyles Award winner? Was seen as a coup for JP. Then he hires Fred and while it certainly paid off, very few were convinced. Most thought he was insane (and Fred too for wanting/taking the job).

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Johnson's shot mechanics aren't great. I don't see him shooting much over 30% from 3. He has had some strong moves to the rim though and finished them.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
2-19 from 3, at least we've slowed down a little

Will that 2 makes hold the entire game?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sports are about results. Chiz results speak for themselves.

Chizik probably would have done better in year 3\4

Either way, programs are ultimately about more than that. Chizik was the guy who caused season tickets to pretty much double overnight. He drove buy-in from fans, even if the results weren't there yet. That was a win for the program.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Steve has recruited some outstanding point guards who have been able to carry teams in the past. But when he doesn't have that, he's lost. One-dimensional coach. This team can't play iso because we have NO ONE who can actually penetrate and beat Big 12 players (or even Summit League ones). Yet, we have a spread floor with minimal movement...because our guys have already tried to beat the defender and know they can't. Yet, no adjustment - because we don't have a creative enough playbook to compensate for it.

yup - that's prohm's O. works great when you have nba-type talent.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
Exactly. He inherited a roster full of NBA players and got lucky Shayok came here and rode the roster and Shayok to contract extensions and we as fans have paid the price watching his bad coaching. Too bad Jamie won’t see it until hes buried the program. He panicked when Alabama was allegedly sniffing around.
I've been very vocal from the start he is not qualified to coach Big12 program. You can argue he has underachieved with every roster we have had.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Both Chiz and Rhoads were the right hires for that time. Chiz was the splash hire we needed to excite the fanbase and start selling lots of tickets. Rhoads had a few solid years where he convinced Iowa State fans that we could beat anyone on a good day. He mightve done better had realignment not hit right when he should have been reaping the benefits on the recruiting trail.

And to be blunt, i couldnt give less of a **** about wrestling.

And we need to remember we will NOT pay for an established coach at ISU.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Absolutely. Chizik was the best coach available that year and we got him. And to be honest, I think Gene was a great coach. Just didn’t want to be here and he’s an ass hole.

Gene was a good football coach but not a great head coach/CEO. But you're absolutely right that he didn't want to be here and never really made a true investment in building the program for the long-term. We got lucky that Auburn took him off our hands - I think CPR saw more success than Chizik would have in the same timeframe.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron