***Official Star Wars Episode VII Thread*** (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

kmcbrid

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
www.municipalgame.com
Rey has to be Leia and Han's daughter. Therefore making her and Kylo siblings. Wouldn't be surprised if they are twins.

My first impression is that Rey is Luke's daughter, not Han and Leia's.

If Kylo and Rey are twins, why would they banish Rey to Jakku and keep Kylo to train? I took the leaving of Rey on Jakku to be a knee jerk reaction from Luke, when Kylo went bad. The girl looks about age 4-5 that is left on Jakku in the flashback, so I took it that Luke is training Kylo, Kylo goes bad around age 14-15, Luke decides the only way to save his young daughter and everyone is to not train his daughter and that he has to go into hiding.

That is just my theory though and the more I think on it, I could see it being sold as Rey is Luke's daughter in the first film. Not out right said, but hinted at. Then in VIII the big reveal will be that Kylo and Rey are brother and sister.

Or, I am way overthinking all of this :)

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I really enjoyed it. Felt like a kid again when the Opening Title scrawled across the screen.

Even though I figured it was gonna happen I am still sad today.

Only minor gripe I had about it is that I wish there was a little more mourning for Han. I mean, you figured Chewie would hug Leia or something, or some kind of funeral deal. It for sure calls for another theater watch.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Rey's parentage is the big question going forward.

I agree with the other comments that Kylo really is a rawer charter than previously portrayed in the trailers / than he tries to look

And while I compared the movie to Boondock Saints 2, I also agree that Disney was treating this as a "transition" movie and that killing Han became necessary (that scene was well directed btw.... With the conflict in Kylo evident, and the light being on him he was thinking of going good.... Then the darkness feel and that was it).

Overall I expect the next movie to really bring this trilogy into its own right, having taken care of the old fans. I just wish they'd have been less awkward about a shoving it in your face this round (it became pretty obvious)

Also my wife pointed out that it was "very Disney" of this this movie to have Rey's parents abandon her in some desolate place.... And that her parents must be "royalty" of sorts (being of either Skywalker line, most likely Han and Leia) would qualify as that. (Almost every Disney movie..... The parents aren't involved or left them for their protection)

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Oh and I'm wondering how much Chewie sticks around now that his life-debt has been paid. Sure he could stay and help, but he's been blind to someone for 30-50 years, figure he may want to go home or back on his own for a while

Though that's getting into non-movie info there

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Oh and I'm wondering how much Chewie sticks around now that his life-debt has been paid. Sure he could stay and help, but he's been blind to someone for 30-50 years, figure he may want to go home or back on his own for a while

Though that's getting into non-movie info there

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
My first impression is that Rey is Luke's daughter, not Han and Leia's.

If Kylo and Rey are twins, why would they banish Rey to Jakku and keep Kylo to train? I took the leaving of Rey on Jakku to be a knee jerk reaction from Luke, when Kylo went bad. The girl looks about age 4-5 that is left on Jakku in the flashback, so I took it that Luke is training Kylo, Kylo goes bad around age 14-15, Luke decides the only way to save his young daughter and everyone is to not train his daughter and that he has to go into hiding.

That is just my theory though and the more I think on it, I could see it being sold as Rey is Luke's daughter in the first film. Not out right said, but hinted at. Then in VIII the big reveal will be that Kylo and Rey are brother and sister.

Or, I am way overthinking all of this :)
I think there is a lot of information we haven't gotten yet. A lot of people are upset that Rey all of a sudden knows how to use the force and fight. My theory:

Rey was a part of the Jedi training with Luke, survived the Knights of Ren's attack, then Luke wiped her memory...of the attack. I think it's pretty obvious she has some sort of background in using the force. I'm assuming after the attack, Luke hid her on Jakku (similar to how Luke was put on Tatooine to hide him). My only conundrum is figuring out where she came from, or who she came from. Did they separate Kylo and Rey like they did Luke and Leia? Or is she just someone who is strong in the force?

I'm seeing it again on Sunday and I'm planning on paying a bit more attention to her cave scene. I'm pretty sure there is a flashback to the Jedi training as a child.

EDIT: Rey walking up the island was total Batman Begins.

Last edited:

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Welp dug out my Knights of the Old Republic and installed both 1 and 2 last night. Star Wars fever kicking in after seeing that.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
JJ Abrams isn't directing the next 2. I just saw this posted a few times throughout the threads.

He may not be directing, but he will certainly be heavily involved. I would guess he is a producer at least in the next two films.

kmcbrid

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
www.municipalgame.com
I think there is a lot of information we haven't gotten yet. A lot of people are upset that Rey all of a sudden knows how to use the force and fight. My theory:

Rey was a part of the Jedi training with Luke, survived the Knights of Ren's attack, then Luke wiped her memory...of the attack. I think it's pretty obvious she has some sort of background in using the force. I'm assuming after the attack, Luke hid her on Jakku (similar to how Luke was put on Tatooine to hide him). My only conundrum is figuring out where she came from, or who she came from. Did they separate Kylo and Rey like they did Luke and Leia? Or is she just someone who is strong in the force?

I'm seeing it again on Sunday and I'm planning on paying a bit more attention to her cave scene. I'm pretty sure there is a flashback to the Jedi training as a child.

Interesting thoughts. I too will be seeing it again soon and paying more attention to certain scenes.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011

Good, plausible thoughts

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I think the only thing I was expecting more of was Captain Phasma's character. She's all over every conceivable marketing product/opportunity for Disney, yet she played a pretty minor role in this film.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
BTW............the trailer game was strong for this move: Capt' America Civil War, Star Trek, Superman v Batman, Independence Day 2

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I think the only thing I was expecting more of was Captain Phasma's character. She's all over every conceivable marketing product/opportunity for Disney, yet she played a pretty minor role in this film.
Same. I liked her demise, but though...that's it? That was all she got?

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I think there is a lot of information we haven't gotten yet. A lot of people are upset that Rey all of a sudden knows how to use the force and fight.

I think this was part of my problem: with no background whatsoever (seeing anyone else do it), she just says "hey maybe I have the power to influence people: let's give it a shot right here instead of trying it at any point in my entire ****** life of getting taken advantage of in the wastelands"

Going back to the fight, he flung Rey 20 feet into the air into a tree - why wouldn't he just do that with finn as well if he's injured and not needing to fight?

Last edited:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Looks like Bond was in the movie!

http://geeknation.com/daniel-craig-was-actually-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

Okay, so as it turns out Craig is in one of the funniest scenes in the movie. When Daisy Ridley is trying to use the force on that storm trooper? That storm trooper is Daniel Craig! Finkel is Einhornl! It’s the scene where Ren says “You will remove these restraints and leave this cell with the door open” and the storm trooper Bond is all like “I’ll tighten those restraints, scavenger scum”. Then comes the line that had me laughing still five minutes later whence the force actually works and she gets him to drop his weapon as well.

No-one is going to believe this but I knew there was something special about that storm trooper. That’s right. Daniel Craigs acting game is so strong not even the Empire can’t even keep him from shining. Did you guys enjoy the comedy The Force Awakens as much as I did? Stay tuned to Geek Nation for more stories of Craig badassery!