***Official Star Wars Episode VII Thread*** (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!)

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Also, I missed it the first time, what did Han say to Kylo/Ben before he died? He kind of whispered something, but I missed it.

Thoughts on the extent of damage done to Kylo? Looked like she barely got his face, but sliced his shoulder area pretty good.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think this was part of my problem: with no background whatsoever (seeing anyone else do it), she just says "hey maybe I have the power to influence people: let's give it a shot right here instead of trying it at any point in my entire ****** life of getting taken advantage of in the wastelands"

Going back to the fight, he flung Rey 20 feet into the air into a tree - why wouldn't he just do that with finn as well if he's injured and not needing to fight?

She was just in a mental struggle with Kylo and essentially beat him. At that point she was starting to get an understanding of what she could do.

It's not like it's hard to come up with reasons any of this is plausible. I understand people don't like some of this stuff because it doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what the "rules" are, but none of this stuff has been consistently dealt with in the Star Wars universe anyways. I know I had some hangups with how they dealt with Han and how he went back to smuggling, and the whole notion of humanizing the storm troopers doesn't sit well with me either for some reason. But for me it detracts little from what was overall a very well made Star Wars film.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
She was just in a mental struggle with Kylo and essentially beat him. At that point she was starting to get an understanding of what she could do.

It's not like it's hard to come up with reasons any of this is plausible. I understand people don't like some of this stuff because it doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what the "rules" are, but none of this stuff has been consistently dealt with in the Star Wars universe anyways. I know I had some hangups with how they dealt with Han and how he went back to smuggling, and the whole notion of humanizing the storm troopers doesn't sit well with me either for some reason. But for me it detracts little from what was overall a very well made Star Wars film.
My take on Han was that he and Leia fell out after their son turned. He went back to the only thing he knew. I saw him kind of like a drug addict slipping back into his old ways.

Storm Troopers...that one takes a little bit of reading into. Supposedly once they started using Clones, the reproduction over and over and over made the Troopers a liability. At least that is the theory of why they are so dumb/slow in Episodes 4-6. With the "human" element, they should actually be better Troopers.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
My take on Han was that he and Leia fell out after their son turned. He went back to the only thing he knew. I saw him kind of like a drug addict slipping back into his old ways.

Storm Troopers...that one takes a little bit of reading into. Supposedly once they started using Clones, the reproduction over and over and over made the Troopers a liability. At least that is the theory of why they are so dumb/slow in Episodes 4-6. With the "human" element, they should actually be better Troopers.

Sure, I get it. I Just wasn't a fan of some of the creative choices they made with those.

I have consumed a LOT of Star Wars material from the movies to books to games. Maybe that's why I don't get so hung up on the force powers stuff, because frankly that is all over the map depending on the source.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
It's not like it's hard to come up with reasons any of this is plausible. I understand people don't like some of this stuff because it doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what the "rules" are, but none of this stuff has been consistently dealt with in the Star Wars universe anyways.

Obviously with something like star wars, there's no reason any part of it should be considered plausible, but in this day and age with shows like game of thrones, where instead of knowing the good guys will some way/some how find a way to make it, you think "man if I was him I'd just kill that other guy right now.. whoops, there he goes, just killed him". When you create these rules, you should be sticking to them otherwise it just becomes completely non-believable.

One example would be when they're on the smuggling ship, they set the precedence that if one of those beasts gets a hold of you, it will chomp you down right then and there. However when they get a hold of finn, instead of killing him it decides it wants to take him on a walk throughout the ship. Obviously for the story's sake you can't have it killing him off, but find a better way of establishing why it would do that.

Last edited:

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
I felt it was very Ben Kenobi of Han to go out and face his son. Almost like he knew he had to sacrifice himself in order for his son to go thru the cycles faster and eventually become good again. Or Han knew it would advance the new Jedi faster to stop Kylo. The whole look into a persons eyes thing, maybe he knew it was too late to save him now.

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
Also thought it was a fitting end to the way Han Solo actually lived his life, killed by his own son. Sure he had a couple heroic moments, but for the most part he ran a shady trade.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Obviously with something like star wars, there's no reason any part of it should be considered plausible, but in this day and age with shows like game of thrones, where instead of knowing the good guys will some way/some how find a way to make it, you think "man if I was him I'd just kill that other guy right now.. whoops, there he goes, just killed him". When you create these rules, you should be sticking to them otherwise it just becomes completely non-believable.

One example would be when they're on the smuggling ship, they set the precedence that if one of those beasts gets a hold of you, it will chomp you down right then and there. However when they get a hold of finn, instead of killing him it decides it wants to take him on a walk throughout the ship. Obviously for the story's sake you can't have it killing him off, but find a better way of establishing why it would do that.

Again, you are talking about your own implied rules. I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing about the scene with creatures, because I didn't particularly like that whole part. But again you are talking about something you infered, not some hard and fast rule that was established that they kill everything jnstantly.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

This stuck out to me as a huge freaking waste of time. I've read about so many other parts of the movie which were cut, yet JJ leaves a 5 minute scene about some stupid monsters that look like they're out of "Ahhhhh Real Monsters"?

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Again, you are talking about your own implied rules. I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing about the scene with creatures, because I didn't particularly like that whole part. But again you are talking about something you infered, not some hard and fast rule that was established that they kill everything jnstantly.

They might be implied, but I feel if you're watching a full story condensed into a couple hours, that's your only option, and the writers know that. It's just lazy to constantly reach into the "and then a miracle happens" bag.

Another example would be they had to torture the pilot to get the details of the map out of him, and the same (attempted) with rey, but on the reverse side when the group was dealing with the most badass/loyal storm trooper to get her to turn off the shields, it was basically "ok sure why not"

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007

I made a conscious decision right then and there to let that one go.... because I was still trying to enjoy the movie and while it bugged me, if I got hung up on that in the moment I'd struggle the rest of the movie with things.

Didn't help in the end, but that definitely fell in the category of "this movie is a little worse for having had that scene"

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
They might be implied, but I feel if you're watching a full story condensed into a couple hours, that's your only option, and the writers know that. It's just lazy to constantly reach into the "and then a miracle happens" bag.

Another example would be they had to torture the pilot to get the details of the map out of him, and the same (attempted) with rey, but on the reverse side when the group was dealing with the most badass/loyal storm trooper to get her to turn off the shields, it was basically "ok sure why not"

Because she was confident they wouldn't succeed. She said as much. Bad choice, sure. But if someone has a gun to your head and is telling you to do something you feel is inconsequential wouldn't you do it?

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
I get some of those criticisms but nitpicking a movie like this is kind of pointless. To me Star Wars is more high fantasy then sci fi. High fantasy is full of the heroes surviving impossible situations in ways that often don't really make sense, but we more readily accept it because of magic or fate or maybe even the gods willing it to happen. They make it out of the situation because the universe needs them to survive. The Lord of the Rings movies have way crazier stuff that happens but it seems like people don't criticize those in the same way because it's in a traditional fantasy setting.

The movie was awesome btw, I loved it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I get some of those criticisms but nitpicking a movie like this is kind of pointless. To me Star Wars is more high fantasy then sci fi. High fantasy is full of the heroes surviving impossible situations in ways that often don't really make sense, but we more readily accept it because of magic or fate or maybe even the gods willing it to happen. They make it out of the situation because the universe needs them to survive. The Lord of the Rings movies have way crazier stuff that happens but it seems like people don't criticize those in the same way because it's in a traditional fantasy setting.

The movie was awesome btw, I loved it.

Right. A giant chasm forms between Rey and Kylo as the planet is breaking apart to end the climactic battle. It's ridiculous. But people are picking nits about force powers and how the giant monsters behave.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008

That creature had already eaten a half-dozen people, and was full. But it wanted to save Finn for later. It was taking him back to the nest to be a snack.

See how easy that is?