***Official Super Bowl Game Thread***

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I can see SF locking him up for the 4th year with a contract for that year after this year like the Packers did with love. Hit him with 10-15MM and I think it would be good for both. That’s life security money, then push for the BIG money in year 5.

Packers did in lieu of a 5th year option for Love. Declined his $20m option and gave him a $15m offer to replace.

With certainty the 49ers will not be paying Purdy 10-15m for his 4th year. He's under contract with a high salary cap team.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Packers did in lieu of a 5th year option for Love. Declined his $20m option and gave him a $15m offer to replace.

With certainty the 49ers will not be paying Purdy 10-15m for his 4th year. He's under contract with a high salary cap team.
They can redo the contract after the third year. He would lose guarantees under the rookie contract but he can renegotiate after 3 years.

If he does well next year, they may want to long term him and lock him down. Give up some now to save some down the road.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
They can redo the contract after the third year. He would lose guarantees under the rookie contract but he can renegotiate after 3 years.

If he does well next year, they may want to long term him and lock him down. Give up some now to save some down the road.

No they can't redo the contract. They can extend only.

If he could, his camp would immediately turn to the Niners and demand a reworked contract that paid him an appropriate amount of money. Should San Francisco budge, Purdy could hold out and not attend offseason workouts, training camp or even preseason games.

Well, the current CBA doesn't allow for that.

A rookie contract can't be renegotiated, and players on those deals can't be extended until after their third season.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No they can't redo the contract. They can extend only.

If he could, his camp would immediately turn to the Niners and demand a reworked contract that paid him an appropriate amount of money. Should San Francisco budge, Purdy could hold out and not attend offseason workouts, training camp or even preseason games.

Well, the current CBA doesn't allow for that.

A rookie contract can't be renegotiated, and players on those deals can't be extended until after their third season.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Purdy put the 49ers in position to win the game twice late, drove them down the field and threw a TD pass with 1:50 or so left on the clock. Not his fault the kicker missed the extra points. The defense of the 49ers couldn't stop Mahomes from driving down to kick a field goal to tie the game.

In OT, again Purdy drove the team down the field to the 10 yard line, and they ended up kicking another FG to get a 3 point lead in OT, the defense just had to stop Mahomes, and again they couldn't do it.

People that think Purdy did not play well enough to win are crazy or have an agenda, he wasn't Mahomes, that was his biggest problem last night.

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Name one person who had Chiefs winning 4 weeks ago. That was most difficult playoff run in NFL history.
They were the #3 seed and had a home game. The New York Giants won as a 6 seed with all road games a few years back.

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
Horrible Niner oline?

I dont know which game you were watching but it was probably the best unit they had on the field. Jones was often contained with a lone blocker all night. And when the Chiefs did get pressure? It was mostly when Spags went cover 0 as the Dline wasn't getting it done. SF also had plenty of handoffs/carries where oline created holes for McC pop off some off. They had more trouble in obvious run situations but the Chiefs stacked the box.
As to your point about the Chiefs...they arguably have the best back 7 in football when healthy. Bolton is a stud, Gay is very good, Chennal had a good year. The CB tandem of McDuffie and Sneed is one of the best in the NFL. The safeties aren't quite as good but they are at least average.

In some of their packages, if/when utilizing more DBs, their depth is suspect. I wouldnt be surpiseed if Williams (#2) wasn't the worst player (statically) in the game. When in he was either picked on, missed tackles, or blew assignments.

I thought the 49ers won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The difference for me were the 49er skill players, an area they had a clear advantage talent wise, didn't produce. Samuel and Kittle were non factors (Chiefs D had something to do with that).
You chose to make the comparison between the respective olines.
I have no idea how the Chief's oline performed (not my point). My point is, niner oline "sucked"/didn't play well, start to finish.
Ps. It's undeniable that Niner's ranked in the lower half this year (#22ish).
This game was no exception.
As well, the knocks on Kittle and Samuel?
Yes, Chief's have an awesome pass pro defense. Ranked in top 4 me thinks, or better.
Maybe, DS and GK were never open/seperated enough, or Brock failed to find them, or
both of the above?
My final comment. Niner's need a better oline.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Oline let them down...ALL of the game
Penalties, terrible blitz blocking. Listening to NFL Blitz on Sirius XM, Rich Gannon has nothing but great things to say about Purdy. Sure there are a couple throws you'd like to have back, but in big moments, Chris Jones and Spags' calls dominated the 9ers line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizzapitter

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Purdy put the 49ers in position to win the game twice late, drove them down the field and threw a TD pass with 1:50 or so left on the clock. Not his fault the kicker missed the extra points. The defense of the 49ers couldn't stop Mahomes from driving down to kick a field goal to tie the game.

In OT, again Purdy drove the team down the field to the 10 yard line, and they ended up kicking another FG to get a 3 point lead in OT, the defense just had to stop Mahomes, and again they couldn't do it.

People that think Purdy did not play well enough to win are crazy or have an agenda, he wasn't Mahomes, that was his biggest problem last night.
I disagree, he didn’t have KCs DC calling defense; that was the difference. Considering Purdy did it under constant pressure at the end and Mahomes played against a prevent defense; Purdy actually was better than Mahomes.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I disagree, he didn’t have KCs DC calling defense; that was the difference. Considering Purdy did it under constant pressure at the end and Mahomes played against a prevent defense; Purdy actually was better than Mahomes.
The stats and QB ratings say otherwise, Purdy played a great game, Mahomes and Chiefs made changes at halftime, while the 49ers came out and played the same way they did in the first half.
The difference is while SF has better individual talent, the Chiefs are the better team, better coached and they have Mahomes.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The stats and QB ratings say otherwise, Purdy played a great game, Mahomes and Chiefs made changes at halftime, while the 49ers came out and played the same way they did in the first half.
The difference is while SF has better individual talent, the Chiefs are the better team, better coached and they have Mahomes.
9ers defense went into prevent defense heavily after they kicked the FG and then in OT. The 9ers plan was to try to force a third possession. Throw in the 9ers losing their best coverage backer and a Dback and they were a little depleted in pass coverage. If the chiefs lost coverage people I don’t remember and could be more of a push there then.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I didn't understand why the niners (mainly shanahan) kept throwing on 1st/2nd downs. It was almost as if he wanted Brock to be MVP and go out and win the game. He's got CMC for crying out loud. They needed to run more on 1st/2nd down in the second half.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
9ers defense went into prevent defense heavily after they kicked the FG and then in OT. The 9ers plan was to try to force a third possession. Throw in the 9ers losing their best coverage backer and a Dback and they were a little depleted in pass coverage. If the chiefs lost coverage people I don’t remember and could be more of a push there then.
If that is true than it was another poor coaching decision by the wonder boy coach, right along with taking the ball first in OT. Twice the 9ers had the Chiefs on the ropes and the game won, and both times could not stop them. The biggest call of the game was the pass interference call on the Chiefs late when they had stopped the 49ers and were about to get the ball back. How come no one is complaining about that call or praising the refs for making it, but the Chiefs were holding more later in the game.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I am honestly not sure that really holds up. Most of the beef with the Chiefs all year is their talent is primarily O-line, TE, QB, and defense. They don't have receiver talent, but they more than make up for that with good QB, TE, and line play. The talent on the defensive side of the ball is fantastic (they could have better LB's, but that's it.

With Kittle, Debo, Greenlaw, and Feliciano (RG) all being injured or dealing with significant injuries this game, I honestly think Chiefs had the better healthy talent on the field on Sunday. Greenlaw's, Feliciano's, and Kittle's replacements all played devastatingly significant roles in the loss. Talent only matter when it's healthy and playing.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If that is true than it was another poor coaching decision by the wonder boy coach, right along with taking the ball first in OT. Twice the 9ers had the Chiefs on the ropes and the game won, and both times could not stop them. The biggest call of the game was the pass interference call on the Chiefs late when they had stopped the 49ers and were about to get the ball back. How come no one is complaining about that call or praising the refs for making it, but the Chiefs were holding more later in the game.
I never brought up penalties so not sure why you are dying I complained about them. You said Kelce was getting held all the time, I just said I never saw any since they never showed anything outside the box unless it was a catch and if it was a catch the team would decline the penalty anyhow so no one really would remember those calls.

I mentioned that the 9ers went prevent and allowed KC to have easy passing lanes after the kicked the FG and that 2 of their main coverage guys got injured and were out.