*** OFFICIAL TCU at Iowa State Game (Day) Thread ***

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Another really bad home loss against a team that was 1-3 on the road this year. Going to need more toughness than this team seems to have to make the NCAAs even with us hosting.

And spare me the anticipated whining about officiating that is coming in the post game thread.
Agree - it was a clear jump ball. How did TCU get so open on that last trey?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Too many turnovers. 16 of them. Tough to win games giving the ball away that much. And if Seanna Johnson wasn't in beast mode on the offensive glass, this one wouldn't have even been close.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I've accepted this will be a WNIT year. Schedule is brutal coming up. Just can't see us getting back on track with that in front of us.

Hopefully circle the wagons in the offseason and be stronger next year because of it.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I think TCU is an improving team, but that was pathetic. Should not even have come down to that call, which unless you're the KU men or Baylor women, you are not going to get in this conference. This could be the loss that breaks the back of this team. They have to be so easy to game plan for. Coach needs to figure something out quick or this season is lost. Can I withdraw my NCAA ticket order? :sad:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Might be shaping up as Bill's worst coaching year, maybe not record-wise but host the NCAA at home with a decent core of players and facing the real possibility of missing the tournament.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Foul oddity - both teams had 11 fouls, TCU shot 11-15 and ISU 5-6. Pays to take it inside.
Or at least try shots from 10 or 15 feet out instead of constantly from behind the line. THIRTY-ONE 3 pt. attempts! It was a tight-fought game to the end; however, Breaux getting that wide open for the winning shot was mind-boggling...

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Those traps TCU did on the wing were killer - a lot of slippery hands didn't help. I just didn't really understand the standing around the zone offense tonight. I know we have a couple freshman in the lineup, but, this team is desperate for some mid range game and back door cuts.

The last call didn't bother me, but the shoves in the back of Hallie when she was shooting, and the flop on the 3 point line foul that got called did.

I'm not giving up on the season yet, but, I think it is going to take a win against Baylor, or on the road at OSU, and at a minimum splits with Texas and KU.

A strong showing at the Big 12 tourney, might also do the trick.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Or at least try shots from 10 or 15 feet out instead of constantly from behind the line. THIRTY-ONE 3 pt. attempts! It was a tight-fought game to the end; however, Breaux getting that wide open for the winning shot was mind-boggling...

I would have to agree. Everyone knows its layups or threes for ISU. Mid range game, and back door cutting, which Jadda and Moody did well last game btw, would be good.

Also, after about the 10th time ISU got in trouble with a trap on the wing, don't you think it would be time for the coach to say, stop passing to the wing, or run a pick and roll?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This team seems to lack "enthusiasm" for defense. I mean, tonight it was a half-hearted effort, to say the least. They seem bored on that half of the court; no hands up in passing lanes, no ball denial...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This team seems to lack "enthusiasm" for defense. I mean, tonight it was a half-hearted effort, to say the least. They seem bored on that half of the court; no hands up in passing lanes, no ball denial...

It is weird like something else is going on. They should be playing with some desperate urgency but they aren't.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
So Kidd started and couldn't hit anything? I couldn't see the game because I work on Wednesday evenings. It seems like there is something with her. One rebound in 17 minutes, doesn't sound like the Kidd I know. Anyway, as soon as I have the chance, I will watch the game on Cyclone tv.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
You can't blame this on the non-conf schedule. Look at OU. Tough non-con and they are still getting chewed up after being picked to battle for the crown. The non-conf schedule is about a zero indicator of conference performance.

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
You can't blame this on the non-conf schedule. Look at OU. Tough non-con and they are still getting chewed up after being picked to battle for the crown. The non-conf schedule is about a zero indicator of conference performance.
The non con level of competition is an excelent indicator to buying or not buying season tickets to watch what have been scrimages.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
My comments for what they're worth:

1. Non conference schedule is a non-factor except the coaches of those teams didn't have it figured out how to stop us.
2. The lack of another taller stronger forward/center to compliment Hallie is a BIG problem. Without this, they are double or triple teaming Hallie on the inlet pass, and at that point it's all over. This points to a BIG recruiting hole. I love Maddie, but her absence is not the total answer. I love her attitude and everything else, realize she made great progress from year 1 to year 2, but she isn't the missing link. Having her to contribute - yes - but not a post or big forward that would start and one we could count on to balance out the inside.
3. We're not getting the results expected with a 3 guard offense - seems a lot of motion going nowhere. They are setting screens just to dribble around but not designed to take shots off of - this puzzles me when we have good outside shooters - does anyone know why this is this way?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Bob...#3 is what stands out for me. We all knew that Hal wasn't a post going into this season. Early on it appeared that our guard rotation would overcome that. I even said on several occasions that I felt our guard rotation would create a matchup problem. Well,the real problem is #3 IMO. The guard rotation is not performing at the levels we saw earlier. Multiple factors at play here. One being the officials letting physical play inside take place. A guard can't drive without getting beat up it seems. Now we are shying away from being an attacking offense. Look at the KSU game last Sat. First half was attack, attack, attack. But it was like a mirage and it went away.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
One being the officials letting physical play inside take place. A guard can't drive without getting beat up it seems. Now we are shying away from being an attacking offense. Look at the KSU game last Sat. First half was attack, attack, attack. But it was like a mirage and it went away.
I really like this part of your post. The level of contact that the referees are allowing has changed drastically since the big 12 season started, it is like the refs reverted completely to their old way of refereeing, nothing had changed. This is something I really hate about college basketball, the NCAA and the referees work and speak with forked tongue, promise changes, and then nothing ever changes.

Also I believe our players don't have the physical ability to play two halves of attack aggressive basketball. I think if we would have had Maddie, it would have very possibly brought us through a game like this, since it possibly could have taken some of the pressure off Hallie. It wouldn't have raised the level of the team enough however to win games with higher level teams.

I also believe that Kidd has to be better and use her all around game, not just shoot threes. She has a good jump shot, and can drive, draw fouls. She needs to use her skills, everyone talks about Jadda, and yes, we need her too, but Kidd needs to use ever tool in her toolbox. She is the one that concerns me the most right now.