*** Official Texas Tech vs #10 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I keep waiting for that 'lull' game to come around which would be understandable.

Will today be the day?

Tech will play tough.
I think people are just cautious that its really hard to go undefeated at home.

I think it was the 2014 team, we were on cruise control at home, still in contention for the Big 12, then all of a sudden Baylor can't miss from 3 and our home court winning streak is over.

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
Win today and Monday night is one of the biggest games we have had in the last decade.
I was a little young during the fizer days and really only remember the ncaa tournament... But if we win today that Houston game is probably the biggest regular season game we have had in the past 20 years if not more.

Obviously the big 12 tournament and ncaa tournament games have been big. But I can't remember a regular season game that would have this much hype with so much potentially on the line.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think people are just cautious that its really hard to go undefeated at home.

I think it was the 2014 team, we were on cruise control at home, still in contention for the Big 12, then all of a sudden Baylor can't miss from 3 and our home court winning streak is over.

That was 14/15.

The 13/14 lost a home game to KU.

I guess I don't now how it gets labeled a 'trap' game though. A couple of home losses could absolutely still happen even if ISU plays well.

• Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Tech probably asked/bribed ESPN to leave it on The Plus because they don't want a national audience to witness us dogwalking them by 20 points today.

Reactions: Acer88 and NENick

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
It has to be brutal, game after game you have to bring your best, get no rest. I noticed this week Michigan State had Penn State and Michigan for its two opponents. What a chance to rest everyone and get ready for March!

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
heard of Hilton Coliseum?
Yeah, had family stuff keeping me from getting to Ames today. Had to sell my tickets to another Clone fan. Was hoping someone had some helpful ideas on somewhere that others might gather to watch the game and possibly get food or drinks...

• Sad
Reactions: NWICY

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Why does this kind of thing keep getting posted?

Tech is tied for 2nd in the conference and is a good team and ISU isn't on some level where anyone is 'lesser'.

Yes they are tied for second in the conference. A trap game doesn't mean the opponent is bad.

It's like when ISU is fringe top 25 in football and somehow 3rd in the conference standings before our opponent plays #4 Texas next week or something.

The fan base is looking forward to Houston on Monday. It's gotta be in the back of the players heads too, even though I know TJ instills the one game at a time mantra.

Reactions: NWICY

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Yes they are tied for second in the conference. A trap game doesn't mean the opponent is bad.

It's like when ISU is fringe top 25 in football and somehow 3rd in the conference standings before our opponent plays #4 Texas next week or something.

The fan base is looking forward to Houston on Monday. It's gotta be in the back of the players heads too, even though I know TJ instills the one game at a time mantra.
IDK, in the Big 12 and so much at stake with each game Im looking forward to today as a fan. 20 wins and tied for first is a big deal this late.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Yeah, had family stuff keeping me from getting to Ames today. Had to sell my tickets to another Clone fan. Was hoping someone had some helpful ideas on somewhere that others might gather to watch the game and possibly get food or drinks...
ah bummer! sadly that negates my 2nd best option of Welch Ave Station

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Take care of Hilton and send these jerkoffs packing.

bell-jack.gif

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Tech Preview:

They are currently 23rd in KenPom - 13th on offense and 67th on defense

Offensively they are really hot - shooting 40% from deep in conference games and 76+% from the FT line. They aren't dominate in any other metrics, they don't get to the rim a lot, they are a just okay offensive rebounding team and they turn the ball over an average amount.

Defensively they are quite a bit lower - they are below average in defensive rebounding, getting steals and blocking shots. If we are engaged we should be able to score.

They play 7 players the bulk of the minutes - which is something that I think plays to our advantage, especially at home - our defense is REALLY hard to handle for 40 minutes. It wears guards down, especially if they are playing 35+ minutes.

In conference games, Pop Isaacs is scoring 17+ per game and 5 others are between 9-12.

Isaacs, a soph, is their leading scorer and offensive focus. He's scoring 17.2 per game in conference games and shooting 36+% from deep. He also turns the ball over almost 3 times a game, which is a key in this one

Joe Toussaint, previously of Iowa and WVU, is the other co-PG. He and Isaacs both average over 4 assists per game, and he also turns it over 2+ times a game. He's a very good FT shooter (84%) and he and Isaacs average ~9 FTs per game.

The backup guard is Chase McMillan, a 4th year transfer from Grand Canyon U. He plays starters minutes (~28) and shoots 40% from 3 and never misses from the FT line. He's slighter and quicker than Isaacs and Toussaint, but a very good bench piece.

The '3' is Kerwin Walton, the 4th year transfer from UNC. He really struggled to find a role on the dysfunctional team last year, and started this year coming off the bench. But then one of their transfer guards got hurt and he's started every game in conference play. He's mainly a 3pt shooter only - but he's been scorching hot in conference play - shooting 23-45 for 51%. In those 8 games he's 4-8 from the FT line and has only 2 assists (somehow).

Their '4' is really another guard transfer - one we were in on this offseason - in Darrion Williams, a soph from Nevada. He's only 6'6", but strong and battles tough on defense for them. He's coming off a dream game - going 12-12 from the field and 4-4 from deep in their blowout of KU. He's only averaging ~11 ppg, but is shooting 44% from 3 and 87% from the FT line in conf play. He's just a really good player - just a couple FTs from the exclusive 50/40/90 club - and is their leading rebounder at over 7 a game

Their post in their 4-out / 1-in scheme is the well traveled 7-fter Warren Washington, who is on his 4th team in 6 years of college bball, playing at Oregon St, Nevada, Arizona St before TTU. He's averaging 12 points and 7 boards. He's not a good FT shooter at 53% and doesn't shoot from 3. He's been battling an injury and may not play, which changes their game quite a bit.

Their bench post is soph Robert Jennings, a big bodied 6'7" (physically looks a bit line Tre King). He just averaging 4 and 2 in conference play in about 10 minutes per game - and has been foul prone when he plays more than that.

Tech's defense does a good job of defending without fouling, especially when Washington is protecting the paint. Their game @ Baylor he didn't play and Baylor shot 34FTs. I think that's the key - attack the paint, and keep TTU's guards away from the rim without fouling.

And turning them over a season high - as usual. Their high TOs in conference is just 14 in that loss at Baylor.

Help Support Us

Become a patron