NBA: Official Thread -- Cyclones in the NBA & G-League 2018-19

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Nader and Burton got DNPs last night in OKC's loss to the Trailblazers and their NBA season is now finished. We'll have to watch their off-season to see if they stay on the roster.

The Jazz play their Game 5 tonight at 8pm ET / 7pm CT on TNT. Let's hope Georges' season goes on.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Denver beat the Spurs by 28 last night and owns a 3-2 lead in their series. Monte had a typically Monte performance last night, right on his averages for about everything: 10 PTS, 24 MIN, 5-9 FG, 0-3 3PT, 4 REB, 3 AST and 0 TO.

I haven't watched my recording of the game but the clips that I've seen show MM just being so smart and patient and distributing the ball where it needs to go.

Here's a 1st half bucket by patient Monte:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I found Monte's "All Game Actions" video from last night - 2:42 of the countable stats that he accumulated. It's a good concentrated way to see Big Game's night. He accumulated a lot of stats in the 4th quarter, you can tell. The 2nd clip was quintessential Monte: watch how Patty Mills tries to cheat on the PnR and Monte adjusts.

(Who in the world takes the time to slice up these video segments like this??!!)

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Monte played well and within himself yesterday. He had a really strong finish to the first quarter with 4 straight points to close it out. His long 2s were falling, but he is still struggling from 3 during the playoffs. It was good to see other Denver guys stepping up. Barton may be out of his funk, and Harris is looking like Harris of old.

I find it interesting that both Georges and Monte needed to be able to consistently knock down 3s to see the court, but I think both of them ultimately will stay on the court with their midrange game. Monte has already proved himself, and Niang's last 2 weeks of the regular season has put him on his way.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
This is from Game 4 - good shot of Monte's handles, grasp of game situations, finishing and decision-making:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
There was a sequence where Monte blocked White's shot, collected the rebound, pushed in transition, and then delivered a backwards through the legs pass that resulted in a Beasley "And 1" that did not get enough recognition from the NBA TV broadcasters.
I saw a clip of that. Too bad the announcers were yapping about other things. The blocked shot cracked me up a little bit.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It was a close one but the Rockets eliminated the Jazz last night (4-1) so Georges' season is done (Naz hadn't been dressing in the playoffs). It was encouraging that they went to him for rotation minutes even in tight games like last night. I watched the 1st half and he missed a 3 and a drive that could both have fallen. His final line was 4 PTS, 14 MIN, 2-5 FG, 2 REB and 1 SWEET assist. Here's a clip with his key plays from last night:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Nuggets and Spurs go to Game 7. The Nuggets were close to the end of the 3rd quarter and then were blown out to start the 4th. Monte had his usual 1st-half shift and then came in late in the 3rd and the beginning of the 4th. Malone changed up the rotation with the Spurs pulling ahead so dramatically to start the 4th so Monte came out (it didn't really work; the starters didn't fare any better). So Monte's minutes and production were down: 14 MIN, 4 PTS, 2-6 FG (he hit a layup and a floater), 3 AST, 0 TO.

Here are all his "game actions" in a 1:26 video (i was the 2nd viewer of this; I'm thinking it's not going viral).

Game 7 will be on Saturday night at 10 PM ET / 9 PM CT on TNT.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte and the Nuggets advance to Round 2: Denver survived a 4th quarter comeback and held off the Spurs, 90-86, in Game 7. Malone has shortened the rotation in the playoffs and Monte played 16 minutes and had 7 PTS on 3-7 shooting (and a very un-Monte-like 0 assists). Homecourt advantage was important in this series and they have it again vs. the Trailblazers.

Here are his "game actions" in a short video:

Here is their upcoming schedule against Portland (times here must be Mountain)

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Monte has been lackluster the past couple games and has seen lower minutes too. Hope he gets a good run one of these games and shows the team he's still very valuable in the playoffs.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte and the Nuggets got an important win in Game 1 vs. the Blazers and go for a 2-0 lead tonight. It was kind of a quiet game for Monte, with 4 PTS, 0 AST and 2 turnovers (!!!!).

Tonight's game is on TNT at 9:00 PM ET / 8:00 PM CT.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Monte has been lackluster the past couple games and has seen lower minutes too. Hope he gets a good run one of these games and shows the team he's still very valuable in the playoffs.
Agree. Unfortunately. I'm not sure the exact cause, but I think it could be that everyone has stepped up their games during the playoffs, and Monte isn't quite seasoned enough or possibly good enough yet to step up his game to match the competition in the NBA. He's going up against quality talent, and it's definitely not easy. I hope he's more aggressive on offense today.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Agree. Unfortunately. I'm not sure the exact cause, but I think it could be that everyone has stepped up their games during the playoffs, and Monte isn't quite seasoned enough or possibly good enough yet to step up his game to match the competition in the NBA. He's going up against quality talent, and it's definitely not easy. I hope he's more aggressive on offense today.

I think Barton moving to the bench has hurt him some. Barton is a bit of a ball stopper.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
monte with lots of nothing tonight so far, except 2 assists. Nugs still within striking distance, but not looking great either....

BENCH MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS

M. MorrisPG 8 0-4 0-2 0-0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 -1 0

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
monte with lots of nothing tonight so far, except 2 assists. Nugs still within striking distance, but not looking great either....

BENCH MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS

M. MorrisPG 8 0-4 0-2 0-0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 -1 0
Yeah, he's not shooting the ball very confidently, is he? He ended 1-8 on FG and had 3 pts. He did have 6 assists with no turnovers. I felt like he was moving the ball well.

Now they need to get a W in Portland.

• Agree
Reactions: kentkel

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte and the Nuggets play at 10:30 ET / 9:30 CT tonight in Game 3 vs. Portland. The game is televised on ESPN.

I like the match-up in the earlier game - Bucks vs. the Celtics.

Reactions: SC Cy