Oklahoma Dual

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
According to Kroschel on the broadcast Downey was ready to wrestle but the coaches held him out for Sunday.

He's not wrong though. As it currently stands the regular season is just a bunch of exhibitions and the only part that matters is that some of those matches help determine seeding for the postseason. Do you think Moreno wouldn't trade the regular season he had as a senior for one more win at NCAAs? Or that Sorenson a few years ago wouldn't have traded the season that got him the #3 seed to not get that bad ankle injury the first day at NCAAs? Or do you think a Lelund would trade the run he made last year for a better regular season?

Hell, stick with Downey. Do you think in a couple years anybody is gonna remember he was a mid-season enrollee who only wrestled like 4 matches before Big XIIs? No, they're just gonna remember he was an All American.

Ohio State lost the dual to Iowa last night because Snyder is in Russia competing at a freestyle event. Do you think Tom Ryan would have been okay with that if the regular season mattered? All he cares about, and all Snyder cares about, is Big Tens and NCAAs.

This post isn't a defense of our dual record. It's just a reply to that post.

Amen.

Reactions: cyputz

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Labia tears are rough to recover from. Hopefully PD3 can go up against a ranked wrestler soon.

So are broken jaws. Hey ***hole, you forget #5 Rotert? Pretty sure he's bigger, stronger and better than #5 Boyd. Hey, did you hear last week that Rotert beat Boyd's teammate, Weigel, last year's Big 12 Champ? You and Huskerfan better get back to Dudley and keep a close eye on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyputz

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
He's not wrong, but it's a concern that he wont be in wrestling shape by the time Nationals get here. Snyder's not a great comparison because at least he is wrestling...you know working on his trade.

I also wonder how the rest of the team feels about Downey's treatment. I'm sure they are all a little banged up too. And for the record, I don't believe this is Pat's decision.

He'll peak for Nationals and he'll be in shape. Sprained ankle...not his decision.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
@Judoka I agree that in the end, conference and NCAAs are what most people will remember. It came off as a ****** attitude and slap in the face to fans while the team is out there getting their collective ass kicked (or immediately after said ass-kicking).

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
@Judoka I agree that in the end, conference and NCAAs are what most people will remember. It came off as a ****** attitude and slap in the face to fans while the team is out there getting their collective ass kicked (or immediately after said ass-kicking).

I actually took it as a defense of his teammates and coaches and being directed at the people who were tweeting at him.

Which, as an aside, I don't get why people feel the need to tweet at or otherwise directly confront college athletes. They're kids. What positive does anyone think they'll get out of their sick burn at somebody who might not even be old enough to drink.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Hello friends. The January and February swoon justification. A tradition unlike any other...

CYwrestle

Feb 23, 2014
Sure March matters, sure the NCAA tournament is what everyone wants to win and be at their best. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to win against my opponents during the season. I didn't look at it as "practice" I wanted to beat whoever I had that week and I know as a team we wanted to beat whoever we were going up against.

It's always known the ultimate goal was conference and the NCAA tournament but the season was critical to get the matches, experience, etc in order to be ready. It was a grind but when you go through a brutal schedule you tend to know more about yourself and have an attitude that you're ready going into the post season.

I don't understand the mindset of today's athletes. I know a lot has changed in sports but damn when you are a competitor and hate to lose you look at any match or tournament as being important at that moment.

Last, Snyder wrestling overseas cost his team a dual against Iowa. That's a decision which Ryan makes and it could go either way. It makes me respect and appreciate Cael when he elected to skip the World Championships to wrestle against Hofstra in a dual. Yes we were going to beat Hofstra with or without him but he was big on putting the ISU program first before himself - he was committed to the program first especially his teammates. A very unselfish move and great example of a leader.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
If you aren't competing to win these matches that is pretty low. I can see holding a guy out here and there but the ones on the floor have to give maximum effort. And even if you finish Top 5 this year what are people going to remember? The worst dual record in ISU history or the Top 5 national finish.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
If you don't perform during season, road to NCAA is much tougher. Only 4 look in so far and that is if Downey & Simmons participate.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
Last, Snyder wrestling overseas cost his team a dual against Iowa. That's a decision which Ryan makes and it could go either way.

Ryan also scheduled a home match in Snyder's HS gym in MD against Maryland. Agreed to when Snyder was recruited. Snyder is the tail eagging the OSU dog, not that i wouldnt allow it for that talent.

CYwrestle

Feb 23, 2014
Oklahoma, Okie St, Nebraska, Missouri, ISU -there was a time the conference was stacked. It was brutal having to wrestle one another and than through in Iowa, Minnesota, Midlands, National Duals, etc. there wasn't anywhere to run and Coach Douglas and his staff did it for a reason - so we were ready coming post season. There were many times you'd look at the dual meet program and see two teams with majority, if not all, the matches against ranked guys. It was "fun" but if you didn't want to face that schedule or competition than are you in the right program.

So much has changed but the tradition, history, and expectations at ISU shouldn't. You need to understand the history behind the program, you need to hear stories about guys like Carl Adams, Dan Gable, Ben Peterson, Taylor, Hummel, Duschen, Gibbons, Carr, Anderson, Nichols, and the long long list goes on. There is a ton of pride. With the tradition and success comes pressure which is good! That's why you came to ISU to hopefully become one of those guys who built the program.

CYwrestle

Feb 23, 2014
Last, Snyder wrestling overseas cost his team a dual against Iowa. That's a decision which Ryan makes and it could go either way.

Ryan also scheduled a home match in Snyder's HS gym in MD against Maryland. Agreed to when Snyder was recruited. Snyder is the tail eagging the OSU dog, not that i wouldnt allow it for that talent.

Agree that's Ryan's call and his decision the run his program. I may not agree but respect it. Just sharing a story between the differences of how two guys went about wrestling internationally vs college.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Kyle alternative is probably to forget college wrestling. Which I wouldn't blame him if he did

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
I agree March is what matters. But these "exhibitions" are excruciating painful to watch. This is the first year since 2003 that I have not purchased season tickets. I just can't justify the time commitment to attend the home duals (I am already up in Ames for men's and women's bball games). The women's record is not good in the conference this year, but they compete.

I agree with most that KJ deeply wants to win, but he just isn't getting it done. A change must be made. Even if it blows up the next two recruiting classes. Obviously it would be great to keep all of them, but that probably isn't realistic. I doubt KJ will get another DI coaching job right away in which some of the recruits would follow. Maybe if Travis isn't retained by the new coach (assuming he is not named new HC), some recruits may follow him wherever he may go. But KJ has repeatedly failed to develop a majority of his recruits. Eight years is enough.

Looking ahead to the rest of the dual schedule: 1) OK State - will be destroyed. 2) Pitt - Doubt we beat them. Intermat has them ranked 23rd dual team. 3) West Virginia - maybe that is our second W of the season. 4) Minnesota - not beating them. So at best (IMO) we are looking at a 2-11 dual record. Hopefully we have 3 aa's, but who has supreme confidence in Hall and Lelund repeating? I see them both in the blood round with a coin flip if they win that match or not. I hope PD3 is healthy and ready to go. IMO his gas tank looked a little less than full in the UNI match, which is to be expected with minimal matches. PD2, you don't need to come after me. That is just my honest assessment. If healthy, I think he is top 4 in the deepest weight in the country this year.

The end of the season can't come soon enough as I look forward to the end of this chapter. Thank you KJ for everything you have done for ISU as an athlete, coach and advocate. Unfortunately, sometimes things just don't work out as we would all hope.

isit

Feb 9, 2014
According to Kroschel on the broadcast Downey was ready to wrestle but the coaches held him out for Sunday.

He's not wrong though. As it currently stands the regular season is just a bunch of exhibitions and the only part that matters is that some of those matches help determine seeding for the postseason. Do you think Moreno wouldn't trade the regular season he had as a senior for one more win at NCAAs? Or that Sorenson a few years ago wouldn't have traded the season that got him the #3 seed to not get that bad ankle injury the first day at NCAAs? Or do you think a Lelund would trade the run he made last year for a better regular season?

Hell, stick with Downey. Do you think in a couple years anybody is gonna remember he was a mid-season enrollee who only wrestled like 4 matches before Big XIIs? No, they're just gonna remember he was an All American.

Ohio State lost the dual to Iowa last night because Snyder is in Russia competing at a freestyle event. Do you think Tom Ryan would have been okay with that if the regular season mattered? All he cares about, and all Snyder cares about, is Big Tens and NCAAs.

This post isn't a defense of our dual record. It's just a reply to that post.

What I'm offended by is that this line of thinking that the regular season doesn't matter totally blows off season ticket holders. I know they were practically giving away tickets last night and the only reason the wrestling crowd was even close to the gymnast crowd was that the first 200 college kids were bribed with free food. What about some of these folks that have to drive over an hour one-way to stomach this display. I'm offended by the way we either quit on the mat or continue to be gassed. We had a couple of guys that panicked and tried for the big move. Our basics absolutely blow. Yes, I'm fortunate to be able travel with the team on some ocassions and make it to the post season tournaments. Not everyone does. I spent much of my time last night watching the coaches and crowd. For those of you who haven't attended a match in a while...it has been extremely depressing. I get to a good share of UNI and EIU matches and we need to bottle up some of that excitement....and level of expectation. We are dying on the vine and it the people that care are withering away.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
So are broken jaws.
p.s. Rotert is ranked #5...just like Boyd...only bigger and stronger and better. He just beat last years Big 12 champ last week.
He's not wrong, but it's a concern that he wont be in wrestling shape by the time Nationals get here. Snyder's not a great comparison because at least he is wrestling...you know working on his trade.

I also wonder how the rest of the team feels about Downey's treatment. I'm sure they are all a little banged up too. And for the record, I don't believe this is Pat's decision.

"about Downey's treatment"? Really? Did any of them break a rib? Have any of them made scratch weight, only to then bump up? Are any of them undefeated? How many of them will qualify for nationals? So he was pulled last night to allow his sprained ankle to heal? You did see what Powell did to their 71st ranked 184lb'er; right? "Downey's treatment"...lay off the Kool-Aid, pal. Downey has more heart and grit than this entire team combined. This team has no heart!

Last edited:

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
I actually took it as a defense of his teammates and coaches and being directed at the people who were tweeting at him.

Which, as an aside, I don't get why people feel the need to tweet at or otherwise directly confront college athletes. They're kids. What positive does anyone think they'll get out of their sick burn at somebody who might not even be old enough to drink.
You are exactly right...trying to save face for his team and his coaches.

• Useful
Reactions: CYwrestle

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
I agree March is what matters. But these "exhibitions" are excruciating painful to watch. This is the first year since 2003 that I have not purchased season tickets. I just can't justify the time commitment to attend the home duals (I am already up in Ames for men's and women's bball games). The women's record is not good in the conference this year, but they compete.

I agree with most that KJ deeply wants to win, but he just isn't getting it done. A change must be made. Even if it blows up the next two recruiting classes. Obviously it would be great to keep all of them, but that probably isn't realistic. I doubt KJ will get another DI coaching job right away in which some of the recruits would follow. Maybe if Travis isn't retained by the new coach (assuming he is not named new HC), some recruits may follow him wherever he may go. But KJ has repeatedly failed to develop a majority of his recruits. Eight years is enough.

Looking ahead to the rest of the dual schedule: 1) OK State - will be destroyed. 2) Pitt - Doubt we beat them. Intermat has them ranked 23rd dual team. 3) West Virginia - maybe that is our second W of the season. 4) Minnesota - not beating them. So at best (IMO) we are looking at a 2-11 dual record. Hopefully we have 3 aa's, but who has supreme confidence in Hall and Lelund repeating? I see them both in the blood round with a coin flip if they win that match or not. I hope PD3 is healthy and ready to go. IMO his gas tank looked a little less than full in the UNI match, which is to be expected with minimal matches. PD2, you don't need to come after me. That is just my honest assessment. If healthy, I think he is top 4 in the deepest weight in the country this year.

The end of the season can't come soon enough as I look forward to the end of this chapter. Thank you KJ for everything you have done for ISU as an athlete, coach and advocate. Unfortunately, sometimes things just don't work out as we would all hope.
I totally agree with you about the gas tank...I posted it earlier. If healthy, top 2.