Oklahoma looking at starting own TV network also

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Texas isn't the only Big 12 school looking into whether it should start its own TV network.
Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione said Tuesday that the Sooners are also interested in the possibility. He says the school has already invested $3 million in a high-definition video facility on campus.
He says the school doesn't have a time frame for the project and is still deciding how the network would be made available to customers and fans. He says research suggests the network could be a success.
Texas agreed to stay in the Big 12 this week in part after getting assurances that it retains local media rights, including the possibility of a Longhorns network.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I think down the road every school will end up having a network. When I say down the road I mean 10-20 years and it will likely be delivered À la carte via streaming technologies.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Texas isn't the only Big 12 school looking into whether it should start its own TV network.
Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione said Tuesday that the Sooners are also interested in the possibility. He says the school has already invested $3 million in a high-definition video facility on campus.
He says the school doesn't have a time frame for the project and is still deciding how the network would be made available to customers and fans. He says research suggests the network could be a success.
Texas agreed to stay in the Big 12 this week in part after getting assurances that it retains local media rights, including the possibility of a Longhorns network.
What games can be shown on this?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I wonder whether the new ability to start our own network allows us to market games via other means. It used to be that ISU couldn't even televise a FB game on Mediacom if it were during other televised games. I hope that changes.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
This whole network thing brings to mind a question that I hadn't thought of yet.

Supposedly the new 'deal' allows Texas to create its own network. Supposedly nothing has been signed by any of the schools.

Is it just me or don't those two things seem mutually exclusive?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
In some respects we're getting this already if you pay the fee for the Clone Zone stuff at the Iowa State Web site. I pay the fee every year to get it.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
So, if Oklahoma, and Texas, both start up there own network's will ESPN and Fox, pull there contracts from the rest of the Big 12?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
So, if Oklahoma, and Texas, both start up there own network's will ESPN and Fox, pull there contracts from the rest of the Big 12?

No. If you look at the Big 10 network, all of their games are games that did not get picked up by ABC, ESPN, and for basketball CBS. The money is in the networks and being on network TV across the air. The Texas network and now Oklahoma Network are just going to show the games that are not shown on ABC, ESPN, FSN and VS; which for football will not be often for Texas and Oklahoma. This network will show all of the other sport teams as well as other programming, just like the Big 10 network, except more filler.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

No, Texas will only be able to show what ESPN and Fox don't want. So essentially, they will not show live football on there. I think I heard a mention that the individual schools may now have rights to past games to show on their own networks.

My question with all of this is if Texas is showing the Texas / ISU basketball game in Austin, can we still get it locally without the Bevo Network? Will they get exclusive access, or will anyone that wants to pick it up have the rights?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Can you really blame schools like Texas and Oklahoma for wanting to start their network. They have bandwagon fans everywhere. I'd say that makes a ton of sense for them to do this.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
No, Texas will only be able to show what ESPN and Fox don't want. So essentially, they will not show live football on there. I think I heard a mention that the individual schools may now have rights to past games to show on their own networks.

My question with all of this is if Texas is showing the Texas / ISU basketball game in Austin, can we still get it locally without the Bevo Network? Will they get exclusive access, or will anyone that wants to pick it up have the rights?

My guess is that they would charge a fee to re-broadcast the game/event. However, in basketball, all of the games are already on ABC through the "Big 12 network." I'm not sure how the deal is going to go, but I'm going to guess that these school sponsored networks are going to get the last pick in selecting games for TV.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
My guess is that they would charge a fee to re-broadcast the game/event. However, in basketball, all of the games are already on ABC through the "Big 12 network." I'm not sure how the deal is going to go, but I'm going to guess that these school sponsored networks are going to get the last pick in selecting games for TV.

The Texas Network could pick up the Big12 Network's feed just like any other local affiliate? So they are no different than CTN except they have their own channel correct?