Old stadium pictures - inside look of Jack Trice remodel

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
This is going to look incredible when it is done. It's crazy how many different designs there have been for the SEZ since the 80's. I know of at least 3 other designs before finally pulling the trigger on the current design. Fortunately of all the possible designs I have seen for the SEZ over the years, the one they pulled the trigger on is the best :yes:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Nice. And you got in the upper deck right next to the new section. Bold move.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
It's funny to think how outdated these photos will look in 40 years.

Hard to remember what it looked like even 20 years ago. Pre-pressbox, lights, Jacobsen, I can't remember how many scoreboard updates, suites, Jack Trice club, couple evolutions of south endzone bleachers, the natural grass.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Looks like a Top 20 stadium to me; if we could only field a team to fit the venue. Hopefully it will come. Can't hurt.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Can you tell us what the square thing is just off the endzone on the southeast corner of the field?

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Looks like a Top 20 stadium to me; if we could only field a team to fit the venue. Hopefully it will come. Can't hurt.

Hold your horses there... its still a bottom 3 stadium in the Big 12. Most stadiums now are focusing on not only adding seats, but upgrading quality of seats, and adding overall aesthetic features like brick/stone facades and lavish club sections. The amount of suites and media space in the pressbox is still very lackluster. There is a lot of work to do still, but this upgrade puts Iowa State on par with West Virginia and above KU. Schools like Texas Tech, K-State are still a step ahead and OSU, TCU, Baylor are far ahead. I won't even compare it to UT and OU.

Huge improvement though.

Last edited:

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
So excited to experience the new Jack Trice but so worried about the actual games.

200w.gif

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Can you tell us what the square thing is just off the endzone on the southeast corner of the field?
I think it is a storm water vault, essentially a big sump pit/pump, but that has not been verified. I would like to know for sure too.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
wonder if there will be trees or something on top of the building but between the scoreboard and the seats. looks kind of empty up there.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
Hold your horses there... its still a bottom 3 stadium in the Big 12. Most stadiums now are focusing on not only adding seats, but upgrading quality of seats, and adding overall aesthetic features like brick/stone facades and lavish club sections.
Huge improvement though.

agreed. Great pics by the OP. But we're beholden to the 70's concrete look of the 1970's except for the nearby Alumni Center

Would be great to actually ENCLOSE the grandstands in a horseshoe design with a brick façade.---a ton of wind gets through the upper and lower deck openings

Plus it would look top-notch

anyways---the improvements NOW will be a drastic change

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Hold your horses there... its still a bottom 3 stadium in the Big 12. Most stadiums now are focusing on not only adding seats, but upgrading quality of seats, and adding overall aesthetic features like brick/stone facades and lavish club sections. The amount of suites and media space in the pressbox is still very lackluster. There is a lot of work to do still, but this upgrade puts Iowa State on par with West Virginia and above KU. Schools like Texas Tech, K-State are still a step ahead and OSU, TCU, Baylor are far ahead. I won't even compare it to UT and OU.

Huge improvement though.

I think we're nicer than Texas Tech and K-State with the remodel. I've been to BSFS a couple of times, and outside of the press box it's not ahead of Jack Trice.

WVU is larger but more outdated, and KU is a dump. OSU, TCU, Baylor, OU, and UT are all inarguably nicer.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Huge improvement though.

Perhaps you're just referring to quality of the facilities inside the stadium, but in terms of capacity this will put us firmly in 3rd place behind OU/UT in the Big 12. With a capacity bordering on 61000...and TT will be almost identical...we are clearly in the upper tier of the conference. With our state of the art football only facility and covered practice field, ISU's football facilites are suddenly on par with the vast majority of non-elite football programs....and that includes our nearest B1G neighbors in Iowa and Minnesota...our nearby SEC member Missouri...and two closest Big 12 schools KU and KSU.

We will have to continue to make strong improvements to keep up, but our revenues are increasing dramatically thanks to the Big 12 most recent TV deals...and what is likely to be increased revenue from the stadium ticket sales...and a dollar in Ames goes a lot further than a dollar in Miami, L.A., or even Dallas. ISU's facilites are now more competitive than they have EVER been...we need to take that and translate to on-field improvements. If we can do that over the next 5 years and maintain our basketball success, we will be seen as a very strong asset to our league and our program will attract a lot of positive attention in our region...and from the recruits we pursue from Texas and Florida as well.

bs1984

Mar 11, 2012
Ames
The Stadium looks great! Too bad it will be empty by the 4th game! They should put new seats where the old ones are all faded that way it will all match in TV when all the fans have left!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The Stadium looks great! Too bad it will be empty by the 4th game! They should put new seats where the old ones are all faded that way it will all match in TV when all the fans have left!

Not faded. They looked that way from Day 1. See photos in other thread.