Olde Main closing

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The problem with the business too is, if they sell it, it's large and I'd assume would be expensive.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So the reason for the suspension of the liquor license is because the restaurants were not paying their taxes. So the solution is to limit their sales?

It's very common to have you business licenses suspended for this. I have a restaurant client that was 6 months behind paying their sales tax deposits and was finally able to convince them they need to get caught up or risk being shut down.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wow. So, what do they do now? Do DG's and Corner Pocket partner in some way with other places nearby for customers to purchase alcohol and bring it in? If not, how do they stay open?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Ames already has one of the state's best breweries. Perhaps a downtown Alluvial taproom paired with a restaurant could be a thing.

I really enjoyed my last couple visits to Torrent. I think Alluvial's better, but their beer is tasty.

Olde Main was ahead of the craft beer thing, but they've been stuck in 2004 for the last 15 years. They haven't changed any offerings, improved, etc. They've made some decent beers over the years, and helped get me into craft beer, but they've been falling behind at a comic rate in recent years.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
A few months ago I went to Olde Main for the first time. Walked in with 4 other people and sat down. The 5 of us sat there for nearly 20mins with not so much as a glance from the staff. We eventually stood up and walked out. With service like that, it's hard to believe they would be "behind financially".

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It's very common to have you business licenses suspended for this. I have a restaurant client that was 6 months behind paying their sales tax deposits and was finally able to convince them they need to get caught up or risk being shut down.

I'm assuming that this did not come as a surprise to the owner. Surely, there have been warnings from state agencies and vendors who are aware of the problem, such as the insurance company who cancelled their dram shop coverage for non-payment. That alone is taking a very serious risk.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm assuming that this did not come as a surprise to the owner. Surely, there have been warnings from state agencies and vendors who are aware of the problem, such as the insurance company who cancelled their dram shop coverage for non-payment. That alone is taking a very serious risk.

Exactly. This wasn't something that just happened without many notices and chances to remedy the situation.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Stick a fork in 'em.

Whiskey River gonna be like:

giphy.gif

The only bar on main that I got to.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So the reason for the suspension of the liquor license is because the restaurants were not paying their taxes. So the solution is to limit their sales?

Bit more than just late on taxes. Sound like some of it was pushing fraud. Interesting stuff, most of the time a place would have gone under before this. And no insurance? Woof.

According to documents, the businesses also failed to report or remit beer barrel tax to ABD, consistently failed to promptly pay Ames for municipal utility services, failed to maintain records required by law, failed to cooperate with ABD investigators and violated the terms of a consent agreement by failing to maintain dram shop liability insurance and failing to maintain an actively registered corporation with the Iowa Secretary of State.

Anyway, the current owners can't have a license for two year AFTER the suspension so these places won't be serving alcohol and I assume are essentially done as businesses without a change of ownership. Basically sounds like they are bankrupt anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: k123

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

They will get their money even if they put them out of business. One way or another.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Ames already has one of the state's best breweries. Perhaps a downtown Alluvial taproom paired with a restaurant could be a thing.

I really enjoyed my last couple visits to Torrent. I think Alluvial's better, but their beer is tasty.

Olde Main was ahead of the craft beer thing, but they've been stuck in 2004 for the last 15 years. They haven't changed any offerings, improved, etc. They've made some decent beers over the years, and helped get me into craft beer, but they've been falling behind at a comic rate in recent years.
I think they would be over saturated in a market the size of Ames unless they wanted to close or significantly reduce the hours of operation at the existing taproom.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Bit more than just late on taxes. Sound like some of it was pushing fraud. Interesting stuff, most of the time a place would have gone under before this. And no insurance? Woof.

Anyway, the current owners can't have a license for two year AFTER the suspension so these places won't be serving alcohol and I assume are essentially done as businesses without a change of ownership. Basically sounds like they are bankrupt anyway.

Does this mean that the property will be tied up in legal wrangling for years? Not good for Main Street.

Or could he sell now and let other businesses start fresh sooner?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think they would be over saturated in a market the size of Ames unless they wanted to close or significantly reduce the hours of operation at the existing taproom.
Alluvial/anyone could transfrom Olde Main into a wedding reception/event venue and it would do really well IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: cyowan and SCNCY

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
"Once the suspension is lifted, the alcohol licenses will be surrendered and canceled. Anyone listed as an owner, officer or director for the corporations will be ineligible to receive an alcohol license in Iowa for at least two years following the date the license was surrendered."

Sounds like a death sentence to me.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Location would make a good stakehouse or a German beer hall. I can see the menu already. Pork knuckle, roast chicken, various wurst, schnitzel.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Does this mean that the property will be tied up in legal wrangling for years? Not good for Main Street.

Or could he sell now and let other businesses start fresh sooner?

Probably no guarantee but I bet the city would lift the suspension if it was a clean break and not some shame sale involving a shell company.

Minneapolis took away rental license from a notorious slum lord up here and than found he was back in some of the same buildings using a shell company. They were not pleased and than had to suspend the license for the new company.