OLED TV worth it?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Man, I really want to upgrade to one of these, but really don't have a good reason to replace a perfectly serviceable TV I have now. You guys are killing me with this thread.
I have some good TVs that I will replace with OLED but not until they have a problem. I'm not going to just replace perfectly good TVs. They are both plasma, which I'm very fond of, other than the power draw.

The longer I wait the cheaper they get. As long as you don't place an OLED next to my existing TVs I'll be totally fine.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have some good TVs that I will replace with OLED but not until they have a problem. I'm not going to just replace perfectly good TVs. They are both plasma, which I'm very fond of, other than the power draw.

The longer I wait the cheaper they get. As long as you don't place an OLED next to my existing TVs I'll be totally fine.
How old are those TV's. It's been at least 6 years since the last plasma was made. Also, what's the resolution?

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
As stupid as it sounds...it really depends on you. My wife and I have two LG TV's in the house. One LED upstairs in the living room and my OLED CX in the basement. The LED upstairs is just fine and all the TV my wife would ever want. It get's 4k resolution with HDR so she's happier than a clam. This was a replacement to my 10-15 yr old Panasonic Plasma and I was not happy with it. It's a hell of a lot lighter and 4k is better than 1080p, however the sidelighting of the panel really drives me nuts. You can easily see pillars in high contrasting scenes which kind of ruins it for me.

The OLED in the basement still blows my mind. If I turn the lights off to watch a movie I literally cannot tell where the TV is, only the image. The black is that black. Powered by my PS5 the 4k movies like Dune are lightyears ahead of what I experience on the LED upstairs. I just set up my 5.1.2 surround and honestly don't know why I'd see a movie in the theater again.

So for me, hell yes it is absolutely worth it. My wife, meh, she could not care less.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I love my 55" LG CX. I've had it a little over a year, and it is awesome. It's also my first/only 4K TV, but if you get some 4K content on it, it'll blow you away.

Hell, even Disney Jr cartoons look pretty good on it.

I have a 110" Projector and Screen in the basement, and the LG picture is good enough to make me debate where to watch games. I generally pick the basement, but it's a hard decision.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I use my 2013 60" Panasonic to provide supplemental heat during the winter. ;)

It gives off a lot of heat. I periodically check to make sure the twin cooling fans are working. Guessing if one of those conked out the TV would fry itself in short order.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
How old are those TV's. It's been at least 6 years since the last plasma was made. Also, what's the resolution?
Definitely 6+. They work great so I'm not going to replace them until needed. Yes, I know that it will be a massive upgrade but I grew up changing channels with a pliers. I can wait.

• Haha
Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Not crazy about it. It's nice that it has the app buttons for direct access to Netflix, Disney+, Hulu and YouTube. But the cursor/scroll wheel thing and using it like a wireless mouse is weird. I do like that it's a Bluetooth remote so it works without line-of-sight to an IR sensor on the TV. Only about 50% of the "universal" features work for controlling our cable box. And some of those don't work consistently.

Why would LG choose that type of interface, and continue to use it? It’s super wonky. Why not make it easy like a Roku interface (for example).

Up/Down/Left/Right

I just don’t understand why anything needs to be more complicated than that for a TV remote. Maybe I’m missing something.

SevereStorm

Sep 5, 2015
I was really hoping for a really good sale for this super bowl season on an OLED but I haven't seen one yet, they all seemed to have kept the same pricing they've had since the holiday season. I might just pull the trigger on a 65" C1 and then wait to get another for the basement next year, probably 77 or 83". We'll see.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Why would LG choose that type of interface, and continue to use it? It’s super wonky. Why not make it easy like a Roku interface (for example).

Up/Down/Left/Right

I just don’t understand why anything needs to be more complicated than that for a TV remote. Maybe I’m missing something.

I'm somewhat old school with tech. I put my LG Magic Remote in the drawing right after I hung the TV. Use my Harmony. No problems.

Other than the fact that Harmony is no longer being made. But that's not the point of this thread . . .

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'm somewhat old school with tech. I put my LG Magic Remote in the drawing right after I hung the TV. Use my Harmony. No problems.

Other than the fact that Harmony is no longer being made. But that's not the point of this thread . . .

Maybe not, but if someone is going to drop a load of cash on a sweet TV, they better understand that the factory remote is bupkis. If the person buying understands that, great, but if not, there could be an additional expense associated with the overall purchase.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
So those of you that have LGs, why did you choose those?

I've had nothing but Sony TVs so I'm leaning that way, just wondering if there's something I'm missing about the LGs.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

I've had nothing but Sony TVs so I'm leaning that way, just wondering if there's something I'm missing about the LGs.
I chose the LG over the Sony basically because of the price difference between the 2 sets. The Sony was about $300 more at both Best Buy and Costco over the LG.
LG makes the screens for both sets, Sony has a different interface than the LG, looking at as many reviews as I could find, it was about split between the two sets as to which one is better. Another big difference between OLED is the picture holds up very well if you are viewing off the main axis to the side. With our older Samsung LG, viewing off the side really washed out the picture, the OLED elimates most of that.

• Informative
Reactions: cycloner29

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I’m a size queen, I’ll still take an 85” LED over a smaller OLED if the room requires it, even though I know the benefits, because an 83” OLED is just way too expensive for now.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I chose LG over the Sony because the reward points/rebates.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

Up/Down/Left/Right

It has the <^v> too, but the scroll wheel/button is in the middle of it. Basically I'd say it's fine for using the TV to stream content. Where the remote gets really bad is trying to use it to do anything with the cable box/DVR. Sometimes it will pull up the guide, or the menu, or the apps, but not consistently.