OLINE is the bane of this lose

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The OL was not great, but they were also short a couple guys. This whole season has been like this, where the OL was just banged up and younger and younger guys had to play. I saw a lot of Miller in there tonight, and he is a redshirt Freshman as far as I know.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Good news is they will have a lot of snaps on film to teach Miller and Hufford in the off-season. Could be beasts in a year or two.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
A pieced together OL against Clemsons best unit by a mile held it’s own. Not to pile on Purdy, but there were lots of pass plays blocked very well that led to pressure because Brock bailed early or rolled to the outside when the Ts had run the DEs well upfield, and there was a ton of room to climb the pocket.
Reality is no QB is going to get to sit there in clean pockets all night. There were plenty of plays where DJ had similar pressure to the outside and upfield but he slid up and had a chance to make a play. On those similar plays Brock rolled out early and just had to throw it away.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So what was our o-line tonight? Every time I tried to ID the right tackle, he wasn't visible on TV. Also didn't see much substitution. e.g. Foster, Remsburg or Ramos

LT Miller
LG Hufford
C Downing
RG Simmons
RT Schweiger ?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
A pieced together OL against Clemsons best unit by a mile held it’s own. Not to pile on Purdy, but there were lots of pass plays blocked very well that led to pressure because Brock bailed early or rolled to the outside when the Ts had run the DEs well upfield, and there was a ton of room to climb the pocket.
Reality is no QB is going to get to sit there in clean pockets all night. There were plenty of plays where DJ had similar pressure to the outside and upfield but he slid up and had a chance to make a play. On those similar plays Brock rolled out early and just had to throw it away.

I agree 100% with what you said regarding Brock bailing wide. But that is his trademark going back to freshman year. IMO when our OL tends to struggle, Brock goes in premature scramble mode. Some of it probably comes down to his height and needing a really clean pocket to see/throw down field.

Over his career, Brock Being Brock is usually a good thing. But this season, he tended to make mistakes that were back breakers- 3 Interceptions against Iowa, fumble against OU, Int/Batted Ball against Clemson.