Omaha as an NCAA site

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The restaurants have no idea if they will get a fanbase that is going to travel...there isn't a guarantee that they will make money after hiring extra staff, if they can even find anybody to hire.

Most of the extra staff they get for the cws are short term event hires, that have other jobs or classes to attend on a weekday.

There is plenty downtown, and there is no need to drive...the Capital District is not the main attraction for most people coming downtown.

Edit: There was a real possibility that Baylor came to Omaha instead of ISU...everyone knows how well they travel. Running a business is more nuanced than blind luck.
Des Moines blows away Omaha. In Des Moines the whole community gets into it. The organizers work with the business owners. People know where to go and where to park.

Thursday when we got there we couldn’t figure out where we were supposed to park close by. We didn’t receive any real direction on where the pregame hangout was. I knew where the Iowa State people were going to be but when we got there we were really disappointed as people who weren’t planning to drink.

That’s all before you get into the arena which absolutely sucks. There isn’t room on the concourse or any real direction on where the seats are. The bathroom lines were atrocious. The seats weren’t good. Video boards aren’t good either.

Omaha is just not a good setup. I’ve been to Big 12 in KC and the tournament in Chicago and Des Moines as well. All three are significantly better. Chicago nobody cared but at least the arena was nicer.

FilthyShadow

Sep 21, 2011
Sorry all, this info may be in another thread. What location(s) is/are having Cyclone pregame events?

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
Des Moines blows away Omaha. In Des Moines the whole community gets into it. The organizers work with the business owners. People know where to go and where to park.

Thursday when we got there we couldn’t figure out where we were supposed to park close by. We didn’t receive any real direction on where the pregame hangout was. I knew where the Iowa State people were going to be but when we got there we were really disappointed as people who weren’t planning to drink.

That’s all before you get into the arena which absolutely sucks. There isn’t room on the concourse or any real direction on where the seats are. The bathroom lines were atrocious. The seats weren’t good. Video boards aren’t good either.

Omaha is just not a good setup. I’ve been to Big 12 in KC and the tournament in Chicago and Des Moines as well. All three are significantly better. Chicago nobody cared but at least the arena was nicer.
The arena concourse sucks for sure, and Omaha locals definitely don't care about anything not related to Nebraska or Creighton.

You couldn't find where to park or anything to do downtown without drinking? Are you trolling?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The arena concourse sucks for sure, and Omaha locals definitely don't care about anything not related to Nebraska or Creighton.

You couldn't find where to park or anything to do downtown without drinking? Are you trolling?
In Des Moines there is a fan fest thing. We weren’t seeing anything in Omaha. Yeah there were some sit down restaurants but seemed to be absolutely nothing for someone looking for something quick.

Reactions: Cyburbbalz

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Sorry all, this info may be in another thread. What location(s) is/are having Cyclone pregame events?
Beer Can Alley on the second floor of the capital district is where they are serving Ames Lager.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Channel 7 in Omaha always does a "welcome to the weekend" segment on Fridays with the Visit Omaha organization. Yesterday's segment had ZERO mention of the tournament. There is a pickle festival though.....
How is that even possible?

• Sad
Reactions: Cycsk

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The burger place was closed. DJs looked to be more sit down and was super busy. The rest are really too far. Maybe the 2 up by the baseball stadium. We just decided to go get something in the arena since we weren’t real hungry yet anyway. Like I said when we have gone to DSM there are directions to the Fan Fest and Court Ave. absolutely nothing for Omaha in that respect.

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
The burger place was closed. DJs looked to be more sit down and was super busy. The rest are really too far. Maybe the 2 up by the baseball stadium. We just decided to go get something in the arena since we weren’t real hungry yet anyway. Like I said when we have gone to DSM there are directions to the Fan Fest and Court Ave. absolutely nothing for Omaha in that respect.
Sounds like you need a personal concierge to have a good time or find anything. Everything I posted is within 1.5 miles of the arena...there are ubers, rickshaws, and multiple options for quick food downtown.

• Creative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Omaha is better suited considering what's around, but I can't say how they prep. They have a larger event coming in June that they definitely go all out for. I'd be curious to see what the NCAA does to determine how we'll a host city does after the fact.

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
Anyone know if they are doing the deal before the game at the Hilton again today?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
You understand there were multiple entry points right? I went in through the Convention Center and had zero issues.
The parking situation was great also, got there around 1030 and had no problems, drove right out of Lot D after the last game with no wait at all.

I donr understand what you mean by signs and seat locations?

I've been to both and I actually thought Omaha was better. The arena is nicer, the parking is alot better, there's more to do downtown.

The only complaints I had were they should haven opened the convention center and had some Tvs open between games. I felt like you were isolated from other games going on except for the occasional "live look in".

The food options were pretty bad also and if you got hungry all day the only options were pretty much junk food.

Overall I thought it was better than Des Moines.

Interesting. Two of my buddies are in Omaha and went to the games in Des Moines. They're not impressed with Omaha at all. Both mentioned how Des Moines was better.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Sounds like you need a personal concierge to have a good time or find anything. Everything I posted is within 1.5 miles of the arena...there are ubers, rickshaws, and multiple options for quick food downtown.
No but the way people talked about it I was expecting something between Omaha and Des Moines. As it was it was a significant drop below Des Moines.

If we were really needing something we could have figured it out but it was extremely disappointing. Especially with how people have talked about it with the CWS.

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
No but the way people talked about it I was expecting something between Omaha and Des Moines. As it was it was a significant drop below Des Moines.

If we were really needing something we could have figured it out but it was extremely disappointing. Especially with how people have talked about it with the CWS.
Yeah, I can see that. The CWS brings multiple fanbases during warm weather and is basically a big festival. Hotels are full throughout the city.

ISU is really the only fanbase that traveled in numbers, and that was an unknown to Omaha until last Sunday.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Went to DJ's late last night to get food. Great spot. Mostly full, but they had empty tables. TV's everywhere. Lots of sports fan energy.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Our fans are coming off a great year in KC. Anything would less by comparison.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Always happy to dump on Omaha at any chance, but really I just hope that whatever the NCAA is looking for they find reason to keep both Omaha and Des Moines in the regular rotation. The more tourney games we can play within driving distance the better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron