Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
And this is why Patrick McCaffery still probably would've been rated fairly high and would've been a P6 prospect. He was tall and had good offensive skill and mobility for a HS kid of his size. The fact that he's an absolutely horrible defender, particularly off the ball, does not show up or stand out in AAU ball.

I suppose Connor they tried to pull the "once he stops playing baseball his game will take off" argument. But nonetheless, these two kids' rankings were absolutely inflated by being the kids of a P6 coach.
I think he basically amounts to Jacob Groves

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think the whole Omaha saga is as much an indictment of the quality of Iowa HS basketball as much as anything else. Yeah, Omaha looked like a 5-star in HS because he's in Waukee, IA playing 2A Iowa boys BB teams. Put him in the Chicago Public League and you'd never even have heard from him. He'd probably still get 3 stars because of his raw athleticism, but no way Omaha dominates Proviso East like he dominates Decorah HS.
Everything you said is so stupid on so many levels. His 5 star rating had nothing to do with his HS performance. Please enlighten me on these 2A schools Waukee plays.

PlanetIState

Mar 7, 2016
I remember this too. I remember one team being just our recruits but in retrospect that doesn't seem realistic, did we actually have 8+ recruits that year? It was hyped up pretty big in Ames, coming into year 4 of the Floyd era with this great recruiting class after three straight years of advancing to at least the second round of the tourney and coming off a Sweet 16 year. Gerrod Henderson lit it up in this game.

For our recruits I remember:
  • Fizer
  • Rancik
  • CJ Bruton
  • Henderson
  • Stensrud (did he ever actually play? I remember him in football but no basketball)
Other freshmen on the 1997-98 roster, none of whom did much, were:
  • Lee Love
  • Paris Corner
  • Lamont Sides
  • Marcus Clark
In this year's NCAA tourney, I noticed South Carolina's coach is Lamont Paris. I thought I remembered that name as someone that played for us back in the day. Thanks to your post here, I now realize where this thought came from. We had a Lamont and we had a Paris, just not a Lamont Paris!