Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You do realize that if these rules were put in play it would hurt Iowa State, right? I don’t understand why so many people here are so against the transfer rules when that’s where TJ has made his living. If transfers had to sit out a year then we wouldn’t have made the tournament and the sweet 16 in TJ’s first year and sure as hell wouldn’t have had a top 10 team this year.

Sometimes it’s about bigger things than yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: Bigman38

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
What's the way to fix it?

I don't really have a problem with them being pros...but there's a reason no successful pro league in the entire world has a system where 100% of players are one year free agent contracts.

It's not college sports anymore, but it's not really pro sports either. Not pro sports in a way that makes sense.
They need to go to a pay system and then have them sign contracts.

You sign a contract and you can be traded or can buy out your contract etc, but otherwise you go where you sign.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Bring back the sit out year after transferring. Still allow guys to transfer if they want to, but it makes it much harder to just buy a team full of seniors with NIL money.
Put the same rule on coaches then. If they want to leave for position that’s better for them than they should face same rules as players.

I have zero issue with transfer rules. Do feel NIL needs tweaked. All for kids making money while they can but don’t like how collectives have dominated vs kids making money on being truly marketable.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Has anyone even semi-reputable reported this? Seems like a bunch of ridiculous speculation for now.

He could certainly still transfer, but am I the only one that thinks that he may very well be returning given that we already had three guys put their name in the portal yesterday? That would suggest that the players had their meetings yesterday, unless the other three made their decisions before the end of the season, which is possible.

Unless he’s going down a level, there isn’t a better opportunity than Iowa State out there right now. The three guys in front of him are all gone and he gets to stay in a familiar system that knows him better than anyone else.

Have other transfer outs been in phases or well after the season in the past?

Otherwise yeah I don't believe it's been anything reputable.

CW hasn't posted anything about it either on Twitter which may not be a great sign...like if he knew concretely it wasn't happening he'd maybe squash it.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
They invited these guys into their program and within 12 months have asked them to leave. By definition you have either an evaluation or development problem.
Omaha was a take for any team in America, even though almost everyone knew he was a project. I wouldn’t call him a miss, I think this likely went exactly how the staff thought it might, but it was worth the risk.

I think Hamilton was, and is, being recruited over (this is a good thing). He may have a nice college career for some team.

Fish just filled a roster spot for one year IMO and was never intended to be a difference maker long term.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The only thing that will upset me about this is if Omaha goes somewhere else and becomes one of the top players in the country.

But I don't see that happening at all. IMO, he is still pretty far away from contributing much at all at any D1 program.

I assume TJ was just honest with him and told him he didn't see much playing time for him here next year. Just like he did with Pav, Fish, and Hamilton. Wouldn't you want your coach to be honest with you? TJ likely did all of these guys a favor IMO. If you want to play basketball, it might not happen here. So do what you want with that info.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
@Cytown12 who would u say is a bigger bust if he does transfer? Highest rated player we have ever got and he didn’t do anything the year he was here. So u dumbed my post but who is a bigger bust?

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Lol what? The coaches don’t rate the recruits…As far as evaluation goes, we’re about to have a preseason top 10 team, so I don’t believe TJ and Co have an evaluation problem.

And if you want to come back with the “developmental” problem, then my counter argument is Robert ******* Jones
Not to mention Ward’s and Lipsey’s improvement. The hardest part of coaching is getting the players to play defense. Yes, that’s also a big part of developing players, especially at ISU where the NIL $ is not enough to buy NBA level talent at every position.

Reactions: VeloClone

HackTheGibson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 18, 2013
Omaha
Feels like freshmen - for the most part - are going to be bodies that fill out a roster. Especially with how successful we've been in the transfer portal and how many transfers are available. Batting 1 for 4 or 5 on freshmen is going to be the best case scenario. It's just how the new college basketball works now.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Sam Mack had the biggest bust I can remember
A buddy of mine in Chicago says ol' Sam is still not on the straight-and-narrow.

He was not what you'd call a "character guy".

I was once in a pick-up game with him and he walked off in the middle of the game and started playing in the next court over. Left us with 9 guys and a 10-minute argument of who should come in to take his place.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I wouldn’t call him a miss, I think this likely went exactly how the staff thought it might, but it was worth the risk.
I wouldn't call it a miss either, I'd call it a colossal bust. So our highest rated player in school history scores a grand total of 45 points then he's run off?

That's a 3 star, 150ish rated player, not a consensus 5-star. I just dumbfounded how the recruiting rankings were that far off on him.

It makes me wonder if Marcus Fizer would have even made it to the 2000 team in the current landscape.

I'm calling it now, Pierce will never play here.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The only thing that will upset me about this is if Omaha goes somewhere else and becomes one of the top players in the country.

But I don't see that happening at all. IMO, he is still pretty far away from contributing much at all at any D1 program.

I assume TJ was just honest with him and told him he didn't see much playing time for him here next year. Just like he did with Pav, Fish, and Hamilton. Wouldn't you want your coach to be honest with you? TJ likely did all of these guys a favor IMO. If you want to play basketball, it might not happen here. So do what you want with that info.

He is going to go to a Valley level team. Granted he could still blow up if he is commited to the games.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Ok, here's a middle age guy who remembers what life used to be like about to go on a rant.

I've personally spoken about NIL, transfers.....etc to a HOF football coach, 3 Big 12 players themselves, a guy who owns a professional recruiting service firm in Omaha, and hundreds of other fans of college spots, and absolutely zero of them like anything to do with this current landscape. Literally zero!!!

So why if everyone hates everything about this is it allowed to continue this way?

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Does anyone know if he was actually run off?

Does anyone know if he is actually transferring?
Nothing has been announced yet. It’s pure speculation still. WVU pages seem to be all that are saying this so don’t know if this is actually happening or not. We had three guys announce yesterday that they were out and Omaha was not one of them.

Reactions: Cytown12

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I wouldn't call it a miss either, I'd call it a colossal bust. So our highest rated player in school history scores a grand total of 45 points then he's run off?

That's a 3 star, 150ish rated player, not a consensus 5-star. I just dumbfounded how the recruiting rankings were that far off on him.

It makes me wonder if Marcus Fizer would have even made it to the 2000 team in the current landscape.

I'm calling it now, Pierce will never play here.

Pierce looks like he is put together pretty well for an incoming freshman though. I think he could play if he has the talent. I agree with the rest

Spam

May 21, 2008
Ok, here's a middle age guy who remembers what life used to be like about to go on a rant.

I've personally spoken about NIL, transfers.....etc to a HOF football coach, 3 Big 12 players themselves, a guy who owns a professional recruiting service firm in Omaha, and hundreds of other fans of college spots, and absolutely zero of them like anything to do with this current landscape. Literally zero!!!

So why if everyone hates everything about this is it allowed to continue this way?

I can't think of any reason why sports fans in the state of Nebraska have been unhappy lately. Why in the world would Nebraska want to return to the 1990s?

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
West Virginia thinks they have the inside track on getting him. Nothing is certain until it comes straight from the horses mouth.

His playing time was indicative of his ability to contribute to the team. Tre, BRE, Watson and Ward offered more. Maybe he could develop more in the off season. Maybe not.

Reactions: Fishhead

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron