Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
How exactly are college sports ruined right now? Also when coaches identify and develop those kids they tend to stay unless they are in a lower tier conference. Most players don’t risk it moving to a new situation with a new staff and teammates they don’t know if everything is clicking.

Exactly this. SDSU had a kid breakout and have a great season and conference tournament. And as soon as the season ends, their fans don’t get to be excited about next season because the vultures are immediately circling to get this kid to transfer to a bigger school. That’s what’s ruining college athletics IMO. Fanbases outside the blue bloods don’t look to the offseason with hope for the next year because they know someone’s coming to offer their players a payday to leave.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think you’re overestimating how many people enter the transfer portal for basketball each year that are getting NIL. This board in general really overstates NIL and it’s become this catchall boogie man for anything negitive. Because he is a 5 star a lower tier P5 program might take a flyer on him but most of the guys who transfer from the P5 drop down. Unless they are a star who don’t have great NBA prospects like Dickerson the good players don’t move that much.

Edit* Sparty was in the same position with our class and the fans are all stunned we didn’t lose anyone.
Omaha isnt transfering to get paid.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You do realize that if these rules were put in play it would hurt Iowa State, right? I don’t understand why so many people here are so against the transfer rules when that’s where TJ has made his living. If transfers had to sit out a year then we wouldn’t have made the tournament and the sweet 16 in TJ’s first year and sure as hell wouldn’t have had a top 10 team this year.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Think less about Omaha leaving and more about having a coach that understands roster construction in the current NCAA setup. If you want to see someone insist on developing talent from within when it negatively effects the end product, there’s a team out East you can follow.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Exactly this. SDSU had a kid breakout and have a great season and conference tournament. And as soon as the season ends, their fans don’t get to be excited about next season because the vultures are immediately circling to get this kid to transfer to a bigger school. That’s what’s ruining college athletics IMO. Fanbases outside the blue bloods don’t look to the offseason with hope for the next year because they know someone’s coming to offer their players a payday to leave.
So what? If a kid shows out and wants to improve his situation, why shouldn't they be able to? In any other scenario besides college sports, there's no stigma attached to seizing the opportunity before you, and improving your station.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I'm all over the place on this one. It sucks to lose a McDonald's AA. He never looked comfortable on the court. Was he highly overrated playing against a bunch of regular Joe Iowa high school kids? Maybe. Was he misused by TJ early in the year when they could have built his confidence in th non-con blowouts? Possibly. The thing that has bothered me most, even before he became a Cyclone, was, why was he constantly transferring, even in high school? I think a lot of this is between his ears and he just needs to pick a place and stop thinking so much and play ball.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So what? If a kid shows out and wants to improve his situation, why shouldn't they be able to? In any other scenario besides college sports, there's no stigma attached to seizing the opportunity before you, and improving your station.
Exactly, also if that kid leaves for a P5 school it’s probably where he wanted to be the whole time, it’s just that he only got offers from G5 of SDSU. Kids make these decisions at 17/18 years old usually, if a kid grows a couple inches or improves his game as he matures why should he be trapped in a place he doesn’t want to be?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Exactly, also if that kid leaves for a P5 school it’s probably where he wanted to be the whole time, it’s just that he only got offers from G5 of SDSU. Kids make these decisions at 17/18 years old usually, if a kid grows a couple inches or improves his game as he matures why should he be trapped in a place he doesn’t want to be?
The schools are using the kids too. Getting players constantly to P5 schools helps their recruiting.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Oh. I read it like TJ and staff misused him on purpose and you want Omaha to stick it to them.

Guess I’m still confused. :D

TJ and staff tried to make him a 5, which he is not. So my opinion is ISU misused him.

I am hopeful he goes to another school and tears it up to prove all the doubters wrong.

Not sure why that is confusing.

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
I’m not sure any class can be a total success. Literally everyone everywhere who doesn’t get starter minutes transfers…if our class had 4 starting freshman it means our team sucks more likely than we are Michigan fab 5.

I’m guessing Milan would be ranked at least similar to his recruiting ranking if we ranked every freshman so that’s a success.

Everybody cannot both get paid AND play a lot. It’s just not possible. Only a handful can get both for most teams

I'm all over the place on this one. It sucks to lose a McDonald's AA. He never looked comfortable on the court. Was he highly overrated playing against a bunch of regular Joe Iowa high school kids? Maybe. Was he misused by TJ early in the year when they could have built his confidence in th non-con blowouts? Possibly. The thing that has bothered me most, even before he became a Cyclone, was, why was he constantly transferring, even in high school? I think a lot of this is between his ears and he just needs to pick a place and stop thinking so much and play ball.
Well, he started at Dowling as a frosh. Transferred to Waukee as a sophomore (at that time, rumored to a prep in Arizona) but stayed.

Moved on to a prep school as a junior, and then back to Waukee as a senior.

I can’t help but think he’s was probably shopped a bit by those looking out for him. His usage at Waukee NW his senior year was bizarre to me. They had a really strong core, but basically let him play PG and do whatever he wanted. It didn’t work. Should have easily won a state championship that year.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Well, he started at Dowling as a frosh. Transferred to Waukee as a sophomore (at that time, rumored to a prep in Arizona) but stayed.

I can’t help but think he’s was probably shopped a bit by those looking out for him. His usage at Waukee NW his senior year was bizarre to me. They had a really strong core, but basically let him play PG and do whatever he wanted. It didn’t work. Should have easily won a state championship that year.
Thought prep was in Missouri. I know AAU was.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
How exactly are college sports ruined right now? Also when coaches identify and develop those kids they tend to stay unless they are in a lower tier conference. Most players don’t risk it moving to a new situation with a new staff and teammates they don’t know if everything is clicking.
Ruined might be too strong. But have college sports lost their way? And it's not a new issue, just on a bigger scale.

These guys/gals are supposed to be student-athletes. The reality is they are athlete-students. IMO University Presidents have sold their soul to financial greed vs. athlete well being and the core educational mission of the university.

Personally, I have less issue with immediate transfer rules vs. the one-and-done rule. But it might be too soon to tell if the immediate transfer rule has a significant impact on athlete graduation rates.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010

So between high school and college it will be six schools in six years. This should be the least surprising announcement ever, and from other things I've read from people in the know, we're really not losing much.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
So between high school and college it will be six schools in six years. This should be the least surprising announcement ever, and from other things I've read from people in the know, we're really not losing much.
No, Waukee has two schools but he only attended one of them. Twice.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Here is my take. I miss when we could see the same players one year to the next and see them develop. My wife has totally stopped watching Iowa State basketball games because she hates having to get to know a totally new group of players every year. And I watched maybe 6 games this year, including 2 tournament games, because I hate watching the games alone, partly because I work nights now including many Saturday nights, and mostly because my wife is absolutely right.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Here is my take. I miss when we could see the same players one year to the next and see them develop. My wife ha totally stopped watching Iowa State basketball games because she hates having to set to know a totally new group of players every year. And I watched maybe 6 games this year, including 2 tournament games, because I hate watching the games alone, partly because I work nights now including many Saturday nights, and mostly because my wife is absolutely right.
I'm sorry that learning the names of 8 young men in a year is such a high bar for you and your wife.

Seriously, is there a more entitled take than this?

"I want to be a fan, but if I have to learn new names, I'm out."

Are you kidding me?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Here is my take. I miss when we could see the same players one year to the next and see them develop. My wife has totally stopped watching Iowa State basketball games because she hates having to get to know a totally new group of players every year. And I watched maybe 6 games this year, including 2 tournament games, because I hate watching the games alone, partly because I work nights now including many Saturday nights, and mostly because my wife is absolutely right.

I’m shocked your wife stopped watching games with you

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron