Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Here is my take. I miss when we could see the same players one year to the next and see them develop. My wife has totally stopped watching Iowa State basketball games because she hates having to get to know a totally new group of players every year. And I watched maybe 6 games this year, including 2 tournament games, because I hate watching the games alone, partly because I work nights now including many Saturday nights, and mostly because my wife is absolutely right.

Ok Boomer.

Edit: /s jimlad because people are too on edge about things we can't control.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Yep the final four is just full of all that media money UConn gets and we all know NC State is just rolling in dough. I mean look at all those transfers Purdue has! How can anyone possibly compete!
Although I was talking about NIL in general, I was thinking the driving force behind a lot of this, NIL, realignment, is football. So your point is valid in terms of BB, for now, and this is a BB thread, my bad., I deserve the sarcasm I guess.

Otherwise you can go back to your cozy B1G conference and your two favorite 'have' teams there. The rest of us may soon be 'have nots', or at least may have the uncomfortable threat to be relegated even further.

How can you argue that both FB and BB are doing well? You argue from a position of strength from a fan POV. Many of us would say a definitive No, things are not well. NIL, as it stands, is not well, conference realignment is not well. A super league of professional college players would not be well. But you are a MSU/Mich fan so what do I know.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Just because ISU benefitted doesn’t change that the system has ruined what college athletics had been. When the pro sports have more restrictions on transfers and salaries, it’s a problem IMO.

What the system is doing is penalizing the coaching staffs that can identify and develop talent by having that talent leave for better funded programs.
And there are very few limits, caps, or regulations apparently, in the current NIL. I think it's great that the players are getting compensated. I think it's great that we have a coach who players want to play for and is a relatively good recruiter, to his culture and program.

It is just very hard to get used to and I hope NIL doesn't continue in it's present form. Wealthier fan bases can buy a 'better' team, player-wise, BB and FB now. That shouldn't be. And the fans shouldn't have to pay the burden, in general, at least not all of it. Especially with the ungodly amount of money the P2 conference members are now getting with their media deals.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I’m not reading this entire thread but I can’t believe we have people complaining about the way things are when Mayor saved ISU basketball from oblivion with transfers
All those transfers had to sit out a year with maybe the exception of BDJ who was a grad transfers i think. It's not the same as it was 10 years ago, it's much worse now.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I'm sorry that learning the names of 8 young men in a year is such a high bar for you and your wife.

Seriously, is there a more entitled take than this?

"I want to be a fan, but if I have to learn new names, I'm out."

Are you kidding me?
Yeah, way to use your wife to complain about not liking the transfer portal. What real wife doesn’t love Gilbert’s smile?

Total Straw Man argument.

Seriously, Tyrese Haliburton played a season and a half and he’s one of the most beloved Cyclones.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That was anomaly not his norm. It is hard for non stretch 5 to shoot 43%. Homan was a tough rebounder and good defensive player but he was very limited offensively. Yes, he averaged 13 points/game but took 12 shots/game to do it.
Yes Horman was limited on offense, but as a sophomore averaged less than .5 of what Jones averaged as a 5th year senior. Horman was almost double Jones' average as a senior, both were great Cyclone players, but this team would have been better with Horman on it than Jones. Horman was just the better player, every stat points that out.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Yes Horman was limited on offense, but as a sophomore averaged less than .5 of what Jones averaged as a 5th year senior. Horman was almost double Jones' average as a senior, both were great Cyclone players, but this team would have been better with Horman on it than Jones. Horman was just the better player, every stat points that out.
Congratulations on getting his name wrong 4 times in one post.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

Did he sleep around a lot with a lot of girls? Is that why u call him Horman

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’m not reading this entire thread but I can’t believe we have people complaining about the way things are when Mayor saved ISU basketball from oblivion with transfers

That early adoption and then becoming “Transfer U” is still probably paying dividends.

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
Just because ISU benefitted doesn’t change that the system has ruined what college athletics had been. When the pro sports have more restrictions on transfers and salaries, it’s a problem IMO.

What the system is doing is penalizing the coaching staffs that can identify and develop talent by having that talent leave for better funded programs.
What is the glory day in
TJ and staff tried to make him a 5, which he is not. So my opinion is ISU misused him.

I am hopeful he goes to another school and tears it up to prove all the doubters wrong.

Not sure why that is confusing.
Was confused on who the doubters were. Interesting you feel like they tried to use him as a 5. Unless you think that’s what they’re doing with Watson.

Thanks for clarifying.

And it was confusing bc I didn’t understand. Thanks again.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Student athletes have always been on 1 year contracts. They had to sign year to year for their scholarship. As much as the current landscape sucks it's hypocritical to judge.

Reactions: madguy30

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here's KU over the time period. Ahead of time, I would guess most of us would think they "hit" on their recruits more often than we do. I'm not sure they do. It's KU so there's a lot more of them, you're going to have a lot more high-profile recruits who end up being role-players if they want to stay at KU, and I'm not sure who here would be defined as "living up to KU expectations", but there's a whole bunch of guys I've never heard of, whole bunch of guys who averaged 1.3 ppg then transferred to ECU, etc. For every Wayne Simien and Frank Mason there's a lot of guys I'd imagine most KU fans would say "that guy didn't do much".

So, we're in good company in only finding success with maybe 50% of our highly-rated recruits.

Keith Langford
Aaron Miles
Wayne Simien
JR Giddens
David Padgett
Omar Wilkes
Alex Galindo
Russell Robinson
Sasha Kaun
CJ Giles
Darnell Jackson
Brandon Rush
Mario Chalmers
Julian Wright
Micah Downs
Darrell Arthur
Sherron Collins
Cole Aldritch
Tyrel Reed
Tyshawn Taylor
Marcus Morris
Markieff Morris
Travis Releford
Quintrell Thomas
Xavier Henry
Thomas Robinson
Elijah Johnson
Josh Selby
Naadir Tharpe
Ben McLemore
Perry Ellis
Andrew White
Andrew Wiggins
Wayne Selden
Joel Embiid
Frank Mason
Kelly Oubre
Cliff Alexander
Devonte' Graham
Sviatoslav Mykhailiiuk
Carlton Bragg
Cheick Diallo
Lagerald Vick
Josh Jackson
Udoka Azubuike
Marcus Garrett
Devon Dotson
Quentin Grimes
David McCormack
Tristan Enaruna
Jalen Wilson
Bryce Thompson
Zach Clemence
KJ Adams
Bobby Pettiford
Gradey ****
Ernest Udeh
MJ Rice
Zuby Ejiofor
Elmarko Jackson
Perry Ellis should be on this list 5 or 6 times, no?

And if I were Grady ****, I would consider changing my name! Perhaps Dich, or Dicke. The profanity word buster is just too great here on CF. :D