Omaha School Shooting

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
A senior shot 2 adults at Millard South High School. They found the suspect a couple miles away. He had killed himself in his car. Between this and the Westroads shooting a couple years back, Omaha is not getting the greatest pub.

Shooting At Millard South High School, Principal Wounded

While both of the mentioned shootings are regretable, they are only noted because they are in areas where this, "doesnt happen." Omaha has a far greater problem occuring daily in North Omaha.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
While both of the mentioned shootings are regretable, they are only noted because they are in areas where this, "doesnt happen." Omaha has a far greater problem occuring daily in North Omaha.

So shootings are happening in schools in North Omaha and not getting reported?

No, this is being reported because it is a school shooting.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
So shootings are happening in schools in North Omaha and not getting reported?

No, this is being reported because it is a school shooting.

School, Von Maur, wherever. None are good, none are helping Omaha's image. Also, I never said things werent reported, but the two mentioned by the OP are 2 of 200 incidents over that timespan.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
North Omaha is like the Thunderdome. I avoid that area like the plague.

The shooting happened just a couple miles from my office. So when I initially heard about the shooting and they had not yet located the suspect, I went and locked the door to my office.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

The shooting happened just a couple miles from my office. So when I initially heard about the shooting and they had not yet located the suspect, I went and locked the door to my office.

Wuss.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I was driving eastbound on Q right after it happened coming back from lunch. Saw at over 10 cop cars coming onto Q from every sidestreet.

I have a coworker who is an assistant coach on the schools football team. His students are saying Principle shot in the back of the head, Assistant principle shot in the arm.

Also kid who did the shootings is the son of an Omaha Police Detective. Hope it wasn't the detectives gun he used.

ianuni57

Nov 28, 2007
Central Iowa
I was driving eastbound on Q right after it happened coming back from lunch. Saw at over 10 cop cars coming onto Q from every sidestreet.

I have a coworker who is an assistant coach on the schools football team. His students are saying Principle shot in the back of the head, Assistant principle shot in the arm.

Also kid who did the shootings is the son of an Omaha Police Detective. Hope it wasn't the detectives gun he used.

I heard the same story. And the suspect had a bullet proof vest on. Definitely not a good situation. It doesn't make things easier when I will be sending my kid to kindergarten next year.

rich4cy

Apr 11, 2006
True story I was working in North O this morning and over heard this conversation lady on phone..."where are you at? Ok stay down ill be there in a minute" *turns to lady she is with "we gotta go Richie he in a gang fight up the street"--- North Omaha is no joke...

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
School, Von Maur, wherever. None are good, none are helping Omaha's image. Also, I never said things werent reported, but the two mentioned by the OP are 2 of 200 incidents over that timespan.

No…not "wherever".

School shootings take on a special significance (at least to most of us), because there is generally a need for a sense that our children are safe from harm when they are in school.

Agreed, none of it is good. I just disagree on your premise of why this was noted.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
No…not "wherever".

School shootings take on a special significance (at least to most of us), because there is generally a need for a sense that our children are safe from harm when they are in school.

Agreed, none of it is good. I just disagree on your premise of why this was noted.

It was noted because it was today. Why was the only other one mentioned the Von Maur shooting then? I'm not aware of any school relationship there.

Cloned92

Nov 9, 2010
Ames, IA

Omaha is no different then any other metropolitan area. There is a "rough" part (North Omaha) that has issues gangs, shootings, etc. Hell from what i see on the news since ive been in Ames, Des Moines is no different. This happened at a SCHOOL. This wasn't a gang fight or bar fight like is usually the case in North Omaha.

Cloned92

Nov 9, 2010
Ames, IA
I know the principal (Dr. Case) that was shot and he was a super nice guy. Very professional and great administrator. He was an assistant principal at a different high school that I attended in Omaha several years ago.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Omaha is no different then any other metropolitan area. There is a "rough" part (North Omaha) that has issues gangs, shootings, etc. Hell from what i see on the news since ive been in Ames, Des Moines is no different. This happened at a SCHOOL. This wasn't a gang fight or bar fight like is usually the case in North Omaha.

Des Moines has nothing even close to north Omaha.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Des Moines has nothing even close to north Omaha.
I had my Flip camera running the other day when I couldn't find my way back onto 480 in North Omaha and got this footage.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRJnEbt89w8]YouTube - National Lampoons Vacation - The Hood[/ame]

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It was noted because it was today. Why was the only other one mentioned the Von Maur shooting then? I'm not aware of any school relationship there.

My bad/mistake. I assumed Westwood was another school shooting a couple years ago. Of course, it was the mall shooting. I remember now. Sorry 'bout that. :embarrassed: