On That Note: Because I Got High

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Back in 2002 the drummer of my band asked me to roll some doobies for that night because we were playing a kegger out in the country near Hayward, Wisconsin.

Long story short, we get pulled over and the dummy gives the police permission to search his car. They find the weed and arrest me because they assumed it was mine, which surprisingly it was not.

So my band had music written for a new song and it just needed lyrics. After being arrested I decided the lyrics would be about how much I dislike police and I threw in a "legalize marijuana" line at the end, because in those days I was smoking all day every day and weed was a huge part of my life.

A couple fun facts about this song:
1. It is supposed to have two keyboard parts but the keyboardist did not record them for some reason. The song sounds totally weird without them. We had a live album that has an excellent version of the song but I lost my copy.
2. The address of the studio we recorded at was 420... can't remember the street name but it was in Duluth, MN.
3. 10:31 is police code for crime in progress.
4. I had bronchitis when I recorded the vocals so they sound a bit off.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
This is a pleasant variety of music genre's meeting the theme. I thought topic would skew way more to rap/hip hop genre which I feel isn't in alot of otn contributors wheelhouse.

Glad to be proven wrong.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
A little inspiration in a bag of weed
A seed to plant so my tree can grow

(Stoned pimp, stoned freak, stoned out of my mind)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

The Doors had started recorded that album when Jim died. Apparently they were waiting for him to return from Paris to finish. They put it out anyway. It has a few good tracks, the framework is there, but you wonder how it would sound with him singing instead of Krieger/Manzarek. They do OK, but Morrison is a different animal/dynamic.

"Tightrope Ride" is as good as a lot of later-period Doors stuff even without him.

• Informative
Reactions: matclone

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Forgot about this one:

the story of her pitching it to Vince Gill and Amy Grant (who produced her record) is very funny

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
The Doors had started recorded that album when Jim died. Apparently they were waiting for him to return from Paris to finish. They put it out anyway. It has a few good tracks, the framework is there, but you wonder how it would sound with him singing instead of Krieger/Manzarek. They do OK, but Morrison is a different animal/dynamic.

"Tightrope Ride" is as good as a lot of later-period Doors stuff even without him.
It's been many decades since I listened to this record (I bought it as a teenager) but I remembered I'm Horny, I'm Stoned probably b/c of the catchiness of the lyrics. For sure, they didn't sound the same/as good without Morrison's vocals.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's been many decades since I listened to this record (I bought it as a teenager) but I remembered I'm Horny, I'm Stoned probably b/c of the catchiness of the lyrics. For sure, they didn't sound the same/as good without Morrison's vocals.
That song does have good wordplay.

Interesting - I can listen to some songs on it and kind of "hear" how Morrison might have sounded with some vocal segments. Maybe he really IS still alive! :D