On That Note: I Don’t Wanna Lose You

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
As we near the end of another calendar year, we want to pay tribute to notable music artists who died in 2023.

Post favorite songs from those we lost this year. In addition to performers, you may include songwriters, producers, promoters and anyone who had impact in the music industry or whose work has special meaning for you.

Repeated references to an artist are allowed, but try not to duplicate a track somebody already has posted. Similarly, although no limit to # of songs a person may select from a given performer (try not to “hoard”) — post your top choice, then give others a chance.

You may use songs with the performer as member of a group, of course, but we prefer it was recorded/performed when the person was an active member. Exceptions may apply. Also counts: member of duets, soundtracks, et. al.

A couple of links for reference:

I'll being my selections with a follow-up post.
“On That Note” is presented each week at Cyclone Fanatic, co-hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and cyclones500.

Reactions: MeanDean

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Tom Verlaine
(Dec. 13, 1949-Jan. 28, 2023)

As @flynnhicks03 note in “RIP Tom Verlaine,” “Hell of a guitarist. Marquee Moon is a masterpiece, but Adventure is great, too.”

What Verlaine did with guitar/intertwining/recording technique is underrated songcraft.

Posting this track first, from his solo work … it has a loose a “gift” lyrical theme, and its riff is similar to a blueprint he set with Television.

I’ll add a few more later, including a couple from Television.

Reactions: drlove and Cydar

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
One of the most recent. Best know as the lead singer for the first album from the Moody Blues and the hit "Go Now." Also one of the fixtures in Wings (along with Paul and Linda) from the beginning to the end, while all the other members came and went.

I discovered this song he wrote and released as a solo artist in 1967. Later covered by Colin Blunstone, lead singer of the Zombies. Which is how I came to discover the song.

Truly an undiscovered gem of a song, IMHO.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Shane MacGowan
Singer, The Pogues and Shane MacGowan and the Popes
(Dec. 25, 1957-Nov. 30, 2023)

Starting w/ his Pogues vocal duet w/ Kirsty MacColl, since it’s Christmas-related and MacGowan was born on Christmas day.

Reactions: Cydar

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Spot (Glenn Michael Lockett)
Producer/engineer
(July 1, 1951-March 4, 2023)

Involved as producer and/or engineer for numerous bands on SST label, including Black Flag, Husker Du, Meat Puppets and Minutemen.

Much of his production work was as co-producer, but he’s listed as sole producer for “Up on the Sun,” one of my favorite Meat Puppets LPs. Here’s the lead-off track.

Reactions: Cydar