On That Note: I Want to Hit That High/Drop It Low, Girl

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Welcome back to “On That Note,” CycloneFanatic’s weekly thread for music listening & discussion, co-hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and cyclones500.

This week’s topic comes to us courtesy of @VeloClone: Songs that feature countertenor/falsetto (high register) male singing or contralto (low register) female vocals.

It doesn’t have to apply to the entire song (nor be the “norm” for an artist’s body of work), but should demonstrate a notable example of the singer’s register.

Also accepted: Songs you initially thought were sung by one gender, but actually is the other.

You are allowed to cite a singer already posted, but please follow the thread and use a different track.

In a follow-up post, I'll get us going with one example of each.

Reactions: MeanDean

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
For my deeper female going with an example @VeloClone gave us in Tracy Chapman and Fast Car. Fast Car is the only Chapman song I've heard and truth be told if not for Velo's example I would of continued thinking Tracy Chapman was a guy because her voice in that song is so deep I always assumed that Chapman was a male artist.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I first heard the cover version on the Janis Joplin's greatest hits album.

Later I heard the original 1963 hit version by Garnet Mimms and the Enchanters. I assumed Garnet was a woman as the name seems to have no established gender precedent. I'd never heard it before (nor since). So since I knew Janis was female I assume the lead in this was a female. It wasn't until a couple years later I stumbled across a photo of the group. Nope, Garnet is a dude.

Help Support Us

Become a patron